Disclaimer! Our practice is limited to Residential Real Estate.
In 1923, the very first shopping district outside of downtown Stockton, was conceived by Joe Plecarpo, a Stockton developer, who got the idea
from a similar stretch known as the Miracle Mile on Los Angeles’s Wilshire Boulevard. Stockton's Miracle Mile grew from a few homes and
fields where people went jack rabbit hunting to a continuous line of stores shops, most locally owned, where people received first name
customer service. The heyday of the Miracle Mile was during the fifties and sixties. By the nineties its popularity had declined because of
the construction of outlying malls and greater dependence upon autos. In the mid teens there were already several stores along Pacific
Avenue. The Miracle Mile officially begins at Harding Way and ends at The Calaveras River, and takes in a few side streets
Stockton's economic growth is best shown through the transformation of Pacific Avenue. The changes began when the College of the Pacific came to Stockton in 1924. Until that year Pacific Avenue was only a dirt road, but by 1939 it had become very commercial. In the area between Castle and Harding Street nearly every form of business had successfully developed. It was so popular that within an eighteen hour period, 17,000 cars would pass through any given point.
The idea of the Miracle Mile in Stockton was the goal of developer Joe Plecarpo. He modeled Stockton's Miracle Mile after the one on Wilshire Street in Los Angeles, which was developed in the early 1920s. He followed the model so closely that he even purchased palm trees from an L.A. nursery, which still line the mile today. Alongside the commercial growth, residential growth also developed, helping the area gain a reputation of growing prominence and prestige.
The Miracle Mile is known for being a pedestrian-friendly shopping district, with a wide variety of specialty shops and services, between Castle Street and Harding Way on Pacific Avenue. In an effort to maintain and enhance the area, business and property owners formed the Miracle Mile Improvement Association (MMIA). The MMIA provides a unified voice for the area's business and property owners.
Cruising Stockton's Pacific Avenue
Pacific Avenue at Alder looking North
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
1504 Pacific Ave - Jack in the Box Looking through the new center divider planter / Former Ritchey 0 C gas station
/ Dick & Dean Mobile (1950-1971
1520 Pacific Ave - Former Dale Cooper Gift Shop (1950)
1525 Pacific Avenue - El Dorado School A wooden building built in 1898 at 1325 North El Dorado, corner of Vine which
replaced a one story structure was called the "El Dorado" It was replaced in
1916 by the new El Dorado School at Pacific & Harding. Now home of
Stockton School for Adults
1540-1546 Pacific Avenue Pop Shop - Goodyear Tire Store / Former Pop Shop/ Big O Tires / Gulf Station in the 60s
- photo courtesy of Kevin Shawvner - Next to left - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
1600 Block - Elm Intersects
1601 Pacific Ave - Former Pacific Free Market
1603 Pacific Ave - A-1 Drive Inn Cleaners
Red Top Burger - 1612 Pacific Avenue
1612 Pacific Ave - Former Foster's Freeze
The Red Top is an early 1970’s postcard.
Manny's California Fresh Cafe acquired the restaurant in the mid 1970’s and did extensive remodeling Foster's Freeze -
Probably not the exact Foster's Freeze
Former KFC / Former Cooper Texaco Station
1641 Pacific Ave - Former San Rafiel Market in the 1970s
Headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina. It is the second-largest bank holding company in the United States by assets.
Bank of America serves clients in
more than 150 countries and has a relationship with 99% of the U.S. Fortune 500 companies and 83% of the Fortune Global 500. -
Building acquired by The Stockton Unified in September of 1999
1665 Pacific Avenue - Former Aldridge Union Station
Pacific Avenue and Walnut - At one time there were gas stations on these corners
1700 Block - Walnut Intersects
136 W. Walnut - Previously at 1603 Pacific Ave - A-1 Cleaners
1700 Pacific Ave 1940s / - Discovery Martial Arts / Stockton Cycles
The Brown House - In the mid 1980's, Leatherby's Family Creamery was located there. After Leatherby's closed, it became The Fabulous Fifties Cafe. More recently it was a
Blockbuster Video Store, Stockton Cycles. Bike Shop & currently a karate class.
1706 Pacific Ave - C.W. Thomas Service Station (1931)
1720 Pacific Ave - Amaraen Cafe & Hookah Bar - Restaurant
For those into Hookah (also known as a waterpipe or qalyān which is a single or multi- stemmed instrument for smoking flavored tobacco called shisha). There is
always music and its usually good and the hookah is good and the prices are fair. The place is all in black light and there is a patio, main level and an
upstairs. The building is owned by Orsi Properties
1732 Pacific Ave - Stockton Gun Exchange
Opened in 1984, Stockton Gun Exchange sells handguns, rifles, shotguns and gun accessories. They have many years of experience helping customers select the
right firearm they need. Their prices are low and they help their customers like they were family. They have many repeat customers, not any surprise, since they
are Stockton and North California’s favorite firearm and hunting store. / Former Alma's college Shop / Tuxedo Park Post Office (1950)
1740 Pacific Avenue - Miracle Mile Smokehouse / Grumpy's Smokehouse BBQ Former Kinders Meats Deli BBQ
Former Conn organs / Beneficial Finance - Three generations of hard work and family pride began in 1946 when John Kinder opened his first meat market in the
Bay Area town of San Pablo, California. In 1985 Kinder's was relocated to Concord, California, and the business became a popular neighborhood meat market,
deli and catering company - not to mention, the only place in town to get a marinated ball tip steak sandwich. Soon after, the family opened a second store
in Pleasant Hill, California, which was an immediate success. - 1744 Pacific Avenue Building owned by Orsi Properties
1740 Pacific Avenue - Miracle Mile Smokehouse offers BBQ just like Grandpa fixed">
1805 Pacific Ave - Former Phillips 66 / Del Lloyd Flying A service station (1957) / Now part of the Promenade building
1810 Pacific - AT&T / Former Fidelity Savings
The largest provider of mobile telephony and largest fixed telephony provider in the United States, and is also a provider of broadband subscription
television services. As of 2010, AT&T is the 7th largest company in the United States by total revenue, as well as the 4th largest non-oil company in the US
(behind Walmart, General Electric, and Bank of America). It is the 3rd largest company in Texas by total revenue (behind ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips) and the
largest non-oil company in Texas. - Building owned by Wilks Farm Ltd Ptp AT&T Website
/ The Hair salon was Tandy Leather. Left photo, 1960's parade
1816 Pacific Ave - Former Coopers Donuts
Promenade Building / 1825 Pacific Avenue Balance / - Stockton Royal
1825 Pacific - Promenade Building - The Promenade is a mixed use destination. combining the elements of retail, dining, services, and entertainment within
which the new Stockton Empire Theatre is an anchor feature. Business’s include, coffee house, cafe, bistro, dessert, bar, interiors, spa and cinema/live
1825 Pacific Ave - Centrale Kitchen & Bar - Tired of the same old local night spots? Break from the norm and come out to the best bar and grill in
the Stockton area, where the food is delicious, the drinks are affordable and the memories are always priceless. At Centrale Kitchen & Bar they keep their
patrons happy with great music, a great menu and a cool atmosphere for meeting great people.
1825 Pacific Ave - Former Java Aroma - Way better than Starbucks; more space, better drinks, faster wifi and friendlier service.
1825 Pacific Ave # 5 - Former Gusty’s House of Wings
- Noticing the popularity of the small, but flavorful wing, Gustavo Sandigo opened Gusty's House of Wings. Sandigo and his wife, Brenda, run the restaurant.
Sandigo works at Gusty's six days a week, doing everything from preparing food to clearing tables. Before opening his own eatery in December 2009, Sandigo
managed Black Angus for three-and-a-half years and El Torito for 13 years before that. The restaurant industry has been his life, though he's happy to work for
himself. He feels lucky to be able to emphasize quality, something he doesn't feel would happen if ran a chain or franchise. Now, he can focus on the
important thing: The chicken. / Former Cibo di Vino 1825 Pacific Avenue -
1825 Pacific Ave - Empresso Coffeehouse - Established in 2005, the original and current location of Empresso Coffeehouse has established itself as an icon.
Located in the landmark Empire Theater on the Miracle Mile visitors to the area are immediately drawn to the classic marquee and neon lights that hold true to
the original styling.
1825 Pacific Ave - Former Reality Stockton - A religious organization
1825 Pacific Ave - Former Mantinee Bar & Grill
1825 Pacific Ave - Former Stockton Empire Theatre
Back in 1945 the theatre was simply called “The Stockton”. It was the seventh theatre to carry the city’s
name. Constructed at a cost of $150.000, it was the first theatre built away from thriving Downtown and quickly drew masses - turning it into an icon of
Pacific Avenue’s “Miracle Mile”. Feb 6, 1945 marked the Opening Night of The Stockton with a Hollywood premiere - sneak preview. In the mid 1970’s the theatre
was expanded into a four-plex. Three modern cinemas were added to compliment the 1000-seat grand cinema. It then became 'The Stockton Royal'. -
Through the next thirty years, the theatre changed hands several times, and while successive owners attempted to breathe new life into the complex, the
Royal ultimately, gave way to the emergence of the megaplex, and ironically closed as a result of Downtown's City Center Cinemas' long anticipated opening.
Under new ownership in 2005, a major updating brought new life to the now renamed Stockton Empire Theatre. Today the Stockton Empire Theatre houses not
only film screenings, but live performing arts as well. The Empire Theatre has been showcasing local theatrical companies and various stage performers.
Additionally The Empire continues to make its auditorium available for independent and classic film screenings, art showings, jazz performances, musicals,
dance, opera, ballet, lectures, banquets; and additionally serve as a studio for local independent film makers.
1831 Pacific Ave - Former Casa Flores
Casa Flores Mexican Restaurants are family owned and operated establishments which offer a warm and friendly atmosphere to those who visit
each location. The atmosphere at each location reflects their family morals and values, which you will grow to rely on their excellent service. They currently
operate several individually owned locations which serve the food and catering needs of numerous communities in the Central Valley of California.
Casa Flores Website
1832 Pacific Ave at Maple - Former Aldridge Standard Gas Station
1833 Pacific Ave - Former Pacific News / Seales Pet Shop / Sam's Southern Bar-B- Que (1976)
1835 Pacific Ave - Former First Service Tennis & Sport
1861 Pacific - Former Safeway - 1940-1955 (See 1859 Pacific above)
1900 Block - Maple/Bedford Intersect
231 Bedford Road - Peace and Justice Network of SJC
- A local grassroots educational non-profit, based in Stockton, in the Central Valley of California.
They have been working on issues of peace, justice, and a healthy environment for over 20 years. To that end the group publishes a newspaper, Connections,
hosts two cable television shows; Talking It Through and The Reality Show, sponsors the local Earth Day, the Peaceful Holiday Fair, and other events. In
September '05 they opened our new Peace Center which is giving them a much more visible and active presence in the community. They also encourage people to
educate themselves with a variety of points of view and news beyond the mainstream.
1902 Pacific -
The Stockton Art League is an enthusiastic group of people who are interested in and enjoy the world of art. S.A.L.
had its beginnings in 1936 as a critique session, and later as a sketching group. The membership includes professional, semi-professional, and amateur
artists, and people who just enjoy their programs and exhibitions. Purchased by Stockton Art League in 2000 - - Former Woodbridge Realty - /
Burroughs Corporation / Ben Franklin Store (1950) / Scaggs Safeway #288 (1931)
Stockton Art league Website
1906 Pacific Ave - Greens Nutrition - building owned by Whirlows / Former American Trust / Wells Fargo Bank / Crystal Distilled Water (1931)
1910 Pacific Ave - Former Piggly Wiggly / Former Oris's Bakery (1942)
1920 Pacific Ave - Former D&D Dress Shop
1924 Pacific Ave -
Yogurt My Way Owned by Michael & Lisa Whirlow - Great family fun for everyone- cold, healthy desserts. Open Monday -
Sunday 11:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. They serve hundreds of combinations of fresh fruit, candy and nut toppings. / Former John Jr. Boy's Shop / Associates Financial
2026 Pacific Ave -
Hubba Hubba Antiques
on Facebook / Former Foote's Variety / Dentoni Variety (1950) / Blacks Wy- Knot Grocery / Burk's Grocery, 2034 Pacific, around
1925. By the 1930's the building was doubled in size consuming the adjacent vacant lot. Burk's Grocery became Valley Port Creamery, the addition
(1926 Pacific) became Black's Grocery and Package Store. Left photo is the building from the parking lot in the back
2030 Pacific Ave - Zana Apartments (1931) (1959)
2034 Pacific Ave - Ximena Radigin, CPA / Former Gluskins Camera Corner
2041 Pacific Ave - Seoul Soon Dubu Restaurant - A Taste of Korea in Stockton. Located in the center of Stockton's historic University Miracle Mile
shopping district, they serve up Stockton's finest taste of Korea. At Seoul Soon Dubu, every dish is created using only the best ingredients, and your food
is cooked to order. They specialize in clay pot tofu soups, along with other traditional Korean barbecue dishes, made from mild to spicy. They have a banquet
room along with free Wi-fi Internet that makes this an ideal location to host your next business meeting, study group, or a special family occasion. Seoul Soon Dubu
brings you a wonderful taste of Korea, right here in Stockton. / Former Taste of Brittany / Costanza's Cafe / Pacific Coffee Shop (1967) / Harvard Book Store (1931)
2043 Pacific Ave - RRR Botique / Former Panda Girlz / Lilith's Books / Former Borelli Jewelers / Oxford Shop (1976) / Gus Lunch">
2043 Pacific Avenue - Panda Girlz 2043 Pacific Ave - RRR Botique / Panda Girlz
2043 Pacific Ave - RRR Botique / Former Panda Girlz / Lilith's Books / Former Borelli Jewelers / Oxford Shop (1976) / Gus Lunch">
2045 Pacific Avenue
/ Pardon My French
2105 Pacific Ave - Today - Cocoro Japanese Bistro & Sushi Bar - / Former Ernie Reed Clothiers / John Ball Mens Clothes / Frank Steele Service station 1931
Home Thyme - next to Cocoro 2105 Pacific
2106 Pacific Ave - Former R.J's Avenue Salon
2110 -2112 Pacific Ave - Multi-stores owned by Eric Merlo / Former Gaines /
2110 Pacific Ave - Gluskins Camera Corner (1976)
2111 Pacific Ave - Bella's Bridal Shop / Home Thyme / Former Bella's Bridal Shop / Wish List / Helen Williams
Town & Country Clothing (1976) / Former J.A. Plecarpo Real Estate (1942) / K&M Town & Country - 1950s
1950s Parade 2100 Block of Pacific Avenue
2112 Pacific Ave -Gian's Deli - Imported Cheese & Salami, Home made Ravioli, Fresh Sausages, Custom Sandwiches - Phone: (209) 469-0108 / Former Gaines
Market / Blacks Grocery (1942) / Former Berg's Mens Room in the 70's and Gian's deli was Gluskin's Camera / 2112 Pacific Ave - Gian's Deli
2130 Pacific Ave -Time Honored - The largest selection of discount luxury watches including Rolex watches, Patek Philippe watches, Cartier
watches, IWC watches, Breitling watches and more. The central valley's only Swiss Certified Watch Repair using Factory parts for Rolex, Cartier, Patek
Philippe, Omega, Audemars Piquet, Hamilton and more. Former Sees Candy - Owned by Eric Merlo - photo by Ron Chapman
157 W. Adams Street - Former Bijou Theatre - The Bijou Theatre was opened as an independently operated adult cinema in 1974. It was taken over by the Pussycat
Theatres chain in 1982, and they operated it until January 1993. The Pussycat theatre chain owned this theatre, which shown adult films. The theatre is now a
bar named the Valley Brewing Company. Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman
157 W. Adams Street - Bijou Theatre - Courtesy of Ron Chapman
157 W. AdamsValley Brew Family Restaurant.
Valley Brew beer was originally brewed here in Stockton in the 1950’s by the El Dorado Brewing Company which was located in the downtown area. As a popular beer for the locals and the only brewing company in the Valley, its success lasted many years. During the prohibition period, it closed its doors which left the area without a local brewery.
In 1994, a local entrepreneur, Creighton Younnel, brought the Valley Brew brewing back to Stockton and established Valley Brew beer back on the current site -157 Adams Street on the Miracle Mile.
In 1997 the Craig Family purchased the business and quickly remodeled the structure to include a large banquet facility with an extended outdoor patio. Multiple large-screen TV’s were installed along with autographed sports memorabilia from hockey, baseball, football and local sports greats!
2301 Pacific Avenue -
La Palma - A quaint, authentic dining venue located on the corner of Pacific Avenue & Tuxedo Court, in the heart of the Miracle Mile.
Owners Rafael & Judith Duarte, natives of Mexico City, combine their traditional recipes with over 22 years of culinary experience to create savory Mexican
dishes. Along with their children, Verenice, Nallely, & Manuel, a husband and wife duo prides themselves on using only the freshest and finest ingredients
from local vendors in the San Joaquin Valley. Although their heart lies in making exceptional Margaritas, La Palma Mexican Cuisine boasts a full service
Tequila bar with an exquisite selection of local wines and champagne from which to choose from. Join us for more than 50 of the finest imported tequilas and
taste the finest Mexican Cuisine on the Avenue. Experience Mexico without the air miles! Open everyday for lunch and dinner.
Former Great New York Deli (1976) / Hasta Pronto Amigos! / Former Bull & Bear /
Tuxedo Junction / Otto Schwill Appliances / Service Station (1931). La Paloma
Mexican Restaurant - 2301 Pacific Avenue
2302 Pacific Avenue - Former Vera's Women's Clothing
2305 Pacific Ave - Former Tuxedo Grocery (1931)
2308 Pacific Ave - The Hair Stop / Avenue For men (1976)
2310 Pacific Ave - Doors Book Recyclery
2311 Pacific Avenue - La Palma Banquet Room
/ Former Casey's
2300 Pacific Avenue Mural
Between Casey's Hot Dogs & Mid Town Creperies
2312 Pacific Ave - Bill's Music Sales
Pacific Ave - Former Bearly Big Enough
2314 Pacific Ave Mag's Rag's Consignment
2315 Pacific Ave - Former Bill Jacoby Dance Studio (1976)
2317 Pacific Ave - Former Salon Alexa (1976)
2316 Pacific Ave - Northcrest Apartments / Scott Apartments (1976) - Christian Science Reading Room
2318 Pacific - Christian Science Reading Room
/ Former Beckloff's
2520 Pacific Ave - TCBY Yogurt - Back in 1981, TCBY opened the country's first frozen yogurt shop in Arkansas. Realizing quickly that
they had a unique product the country was clamoring for, they started offering franchise opportunities the following year. Since that time,
they've continued to grow to over 450 stores nationwide.
3700 Pacific - Stockton Central United Methodist Church under Construction - 1964
Services: 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. Sun.; Cambodian, 10:15 a.m. Sun. Web: Central held its
first worship service on September 15, 1849, the year before the City of Stockton was chartered and California became a state, in a tent at the corner of
Miner Avenue and San Joaquin Street. The first buildings was dedicated on July 28, 1851, having been constructed at a cost of $12,000. Central's home from
1851-1958. The fourth structure the church occupied (including the tent) was a magnificent brick structure dedicated on April 5, 1891. It was built on the
site where the first tent meeting was held. The building seated one-thousand and was built at a cost of $86,000. On July 20, 1958, the last service was held
in 'Old Central'. The stained glass windows that grace the narthex of the current church were brought from the former church building. Central's new home
1964 On June 7, 1964, Central consecrated its new sanctuary and Fellowship Hall at Pacific and Fulton Avenues, across the street from University of the
Pacific. Worship services were celebrated in Morris Chapel on the University campus during construction of the new sanctuary. The contract cost was $680,000!
Pacific North of Alpine
Pacific Calaveras Bridge
Pacific Avenue crossing the Calaveras River
3301 Pacific Ave - Carlton Villa Apartments
Suggested Books Related to Stockton
Links to third party sites
Stockton's Miracle Mile
Reviewed by Others on
Stockton's Miracle Mile