Local History Happened Here
Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell or lease Commercial Real Estate.
Historical markers mark Settler, Soldier, Pioneer, Writer, the place where something occurred. But the richness of history is in its local
details, details that can be insignificant on the global stage: the home of an individual who made a difference; a natural feature, building,
byway; or just something interesting that happened nearby. Markers are not just about the high and mighty. Markers tell stories and point out
facts. There are countless thousands of great stories marked by markers—and a few boring ones too. Some markers simply recite facts while
others are insightful, obscure, cryptic, patriotic, fascinating, sad, funny, or just downright bizarre. Many of these local markers are on
this page, others are waiting for you to discover. So hit the streets and experience local history first-hand yourself.
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
B&M Building - 25 Bridge Place. Inscription - This building, situated near the head of the Stockton Channel evokes memories of early
commerce when Stockton served as the main supply depot for the southern mines. Bearing remnants of Italienate Style, the structure is rich
with history dating back to the Gold Rush era. The B & M name was coined in the 1930’s for owners Joseph Breidenbach and Alexander McDonald.
Stockton Historical Landmark No. 35 Designated by Stockton City Council 1983
Benjamin Holt Home - 548 E. Park St - Inscription: Home of Benjamin Holt 1899 - Inventor of the Caterpillar Tractor and long time
president of the Holt Manufacturing Company, Benjamin Holt resided here until his death in 1920. The Holt family made this house available to
The Boy Scouts of America, and in April 1956, it was dedicated as the service center of The Forty-Niner Council. Stockton Historical Landmark
No. 8 Designated by The Stockton City Council 1971
California Building — 1917 Built originally for the former Farmers & Merchants Bank, this structure is the work of prominent San Francisco
Architect George W. Kelham. With almost no exterior changes it exemplifies Renaissance Revival Style and reflects early local interest in
building skyscrapers. This granite and brick building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Stockton Historic Landmark No.
25 Designated by Stockton City Council 1979
Catts House 1130 N. San Joaquin St. - Built in 1897. This was the residence of George E. Catts, the owner of Lauxen and Catts Furniture
Store and the first president of the San Joaquin Pioneer and Historical Society which later founded the Haggin Museum in 1931. Original of
this Queen Anne style house was remodeled in 1918 to resemble a Craftsman Shingle style
Casey at the Bat: Legend has it that Stockton, because of its many early day floods, was the “Mudville” of Ernest L. Thayer’s famous poem,
“Casey at the Bat,” first printed in the San Francisco Examiner on June 3, 1988. “Casey” experts claim that a game actually occurred with
“Casey” as the hometown hero, and a touring team of major league all-stars. Erected by Tuleburgh Chaper #69 E. Clampus Vitus – April 7, 1973.
(In Oak Park, Alpine Avenue and California Street near the baseball diamond)
City Centre Cimemas - 222 N. El Dorado St.
Commercial & Savings Bank - 343 E Main St.- Inscription. This ten-story Renaissance Revival Building was constructed in 1915 to house the
Commercial and Savings Bank founded in 1903 by John Raggio. After a fire, the north portion was added in 1924. The property was purchased in
1929 by the Bank of Italy, later to become the Bank of America. State Savings, later becoming American Savings acquired the building in 1981.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Stockton Historical Landmark No. 36 Designated by Stockton City Council 1985
The Compass Rose - Inscription. Stockton was built on land granted by the Mexican government on January 13, 1842, to German-born Charles
M. Weber and his business partner and Mexican citizen, William Gulnac. Weber later became sole owner of the land, permanently settling here
two years before the Gold Rush of 1849. Inspired by his European roots, Weber commissioned the first village plan laid out in a grid pattern
of streets in 1848. Aligned with the levee road along the south shore of the Stockton Channel, now known as Weber Avenue, the grid followed a
natural feature, not ordinal compass directions. This compass rose is directed toward true compass north, therefore, the street grid is 11.6
degrees west of north. Located in the center of the Dean DeCarli Waterfront Square between Center Street and North El Dorado Street
Edward B. Condy Home - 820 N Madison St. - Inscription. This is the former residence of popular band leader Edward B. Conde, editorialized
as the “John Philip Souza of Stockton”. Conde brought distinction to this city with his much acclaimed musical organizations. He formed the
famed Stockton Boys’ Band in 1900 and the Stockton City Band in 1927 - Stockton Historical Landmark No. 18 Designated by the Stockton City
Dr. Cross House - 207 W. Acacia St - Built in 1890 in the popular Queen Anne style featuring polygonal bays and a corbelled chimney, this home was both an office plus the residence of Dr. Lester Emmett Cross. This local physician was considered to be Dean of Stockton's local medical profession and was affectionately labeled "Dr. Stork" as it was often said a child was not well born unless Dr. Cross delivered it. - Today it's a bed-and-breakfast known as the Old Victorian Inn - Stockton register #85-0597, September 23, 1985
Doctors' Row Historic District Marker - 504, 520, 580, 604 and 710 E. Acacia St
Doctors' Row housed physicians, at California's oldest public hospital for the
mentally disadvantaged. The Superintendent's residence at 521 E. Acacia was
built in 1900. The Gothic Revival residences at 504, 520, 580, and 604 E. Acacia
were built circa 1870. thr Tudor Revival home at 604 E. Acacia was added in
1929. The Stockton Developmental center began in 1853 as the Insane Asylum of
California on 100 acres donated in part by Charles M. Weber.
Designated by Stockton City Council May 13, 1985 City Planning Commission .
Cultural Heritage Board
Daguhoy Lodge #528 - 203 E. Hazelton St - Structured by Cruz Renario, October 10, 1926, subsequently chartered, February 11, 1937.
Renario was elected the first worshipful master of the lodge. It was the first lodge in the country fashioned under the Ligionarios Del
Trabajo of the Philippines. The lodge acquired the building December 27, 1937 and has continued to serve as the meeting place for many
generations of Stockton Filipino Americans. Stockton Register #03-0104
Dean Decarli - One of the chief architects behind the West End Redevelopment project. Marker located in DeCarli Square - Weber Avenue
between Center And El Dorado Streets
Dunne Home - 1335 N. Hunter St -
Built in 1895 for local shoe store owner Edward Dunne, this design of the home combines elements of Queen Anne, Eastlake and Stick styles. It contains an array of original stain-glass windows. as Dunne's family grew, the home was expanded, by adding wings acquired from other local structures, perhaps the reason for the home's eclectic Victorian styles. This home has often been referred to as the Stockton 'Mystery House'. Stockton register #38,208, May 11, 1981
Federal Building - 401 N. San Joaquin St
- This building is typical of 1933 classical depression era architecture and is a
product of the extensive federal construction programs of the 1930s. The lobby’s oil murals were a part of the “New Deal’s” art in public
places. Aside from housing many federal agencies the building served as the sixth location of Stockton’s main post office. It is listed in the
National Register of Historic Places.
Firefighters Memorial: Dedicated November 11, 1965 to the firefighters past, present and future of the cities and county of San Joaquin
for their devoted and heroic service. (Under Deodora tree at NW corner of Main and San Joaquin Streets)
George Fox Residence
- 1915 - Designed in 1915 by architect Franklyn Werner, this house was built at 122 E. Poplar St. it was moved on
August 25, 2001 to 1230 N. San Joaquin St. Representative of the Craftsman bungalow style, the house was restored after the move and continues
to be a handsome contributor to the Magnolia Historic District. Donated by Stockton City Council 2003
Genova Bakery 1918
- 749 N. Sierra Nevada - Transcription - This bakery and store, a link to the old country, reflect the industry and
perseverance of Italian immigrants who significantly contributed to the enrichment and development of Stockton. The bakery's unique brick
oven, fired to "red hot" intensity twice daily since 1918, used radiant heat to bake up to 2000 loaves of bread each day. The dough is
prepared in much the same manner as in pioneer days. Stockton Historic Landmark No. 39 Designated by Stockton City Council 1985.
Goddess of Justice
: The Goddess of Justice crowned the dome of the second courthouse constructed upon this site in 1888. By order of
the Board of Supervisors, the statue has been restored by county employees and caused to be erected on this pedestal of honor upon completion
of the new building in 1964. (West side of Courthouse in Hunter Square between Weber and Main Street)
Head of Navigation
: For the Stockton Channel in 1849 was at El Dorado Street. Sailing ships and paddle wheel steamboats made the
Stockton levees a major supply center for the Southern Mines during the gold rush. In 1933, the port of Stockton became California’s first
modern inland seaport. Erected by Tuleburgh Chapter #69 E. Clampus Vitus April 15, 1972. (NW corner of Center and Weber).
Hurrle Weston Home - 5 E. Harding Way Known at one time as 'The White Queen of Stockton,' Built fin 1906 for Charles J. Hurrle, Stockton Glass
Works manager. Hurle only owned the home for nine years when he sold in 1915 to Mrs. J. D. McDougald who bought it for her daughter, Carolyn Weston and son-in-law, Paul Weston, a local farmer
and the second chairman of the Stockton port commission. The home has ten rooms at one time fronted the North Street Canal, which at the time
was very North Stockton.
John L. Briscoe: Site where Stockton Police Officer John L. Briscoe was killed on February 5, 1917 in the performance of duty. Plaque
placed on February 5, 1987. (125 Bridge Place)
John Brown Burial Site - 1100 E. Weber - at North Union Street. John Brown, Stockton resident from 1851 to 1859, is notable for
his four-day ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco to warn Commodore Stockton of the attack on Los Angeles. As a result of his actions, troops
were sent to secure the city, and Brown - nicknamed Juan Flaco - became known as the 'Paul Revere of California.' He is buried in the former
Citizen's Cemetery near this site, which is #513 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list.
Lindsay Point - First Building Site - Inscription. In August 1844, the first settlers arrived at Rancho del Campo de los Franceses. One
of the company, Thomas Lindsay, built the first dwelling, a tule hut, on this site. He was later murdered by Indians and buried here by
travelers. The Point was formed by the junction of McLeod's Lake and Miner's Channel.- Entrance to the Stockton City Hall
Luther Burbank School - 1120 S. Pilgrim St - Inscription.- Built in 1925, A modified Elizabethan Tudor building, designed by the
nationally influential local architectural firm of Allen & Young. Glazed tile ornamentation enhances the façade of the 10 classroom structure
which served the Stockton Unified School District for 53 years. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 35,547 on
August 28, 1978.
Magnolia Historic District - Intersection of East Magnolia Street and North San Joaquin Street, on the right when traveling east on East
Magnolia Street. - Inscription. Stockton’s first historic district has the community’s richest variety of architectural styles, including
Queen Anne, Eastlake, Stick, Bungalow, Craftsman, Moderne and Spanish Revival. Since the 1860’s the area has been home to a broad cross
section of Stockton’s citizens. The vitality of the neighborhood is evident from the many instances of rehabilitation, restoration, and
adaptive reuse. The Magnolia Historic District encompasses an area generally bounded by Harding Way, California Street, Park Street and El
Dorado Street. The 19th century cut stone paving blocks embedded at this site were used in Magnolia area curbs and gutters. Erected by : This
area was designated as a historic district by the Stockton City Council on July 30, 1984, City Planning Commission & Cultural Heritage
Council. Easement donated by Pacific Gas & Electric Company.
Martin Luther King Jr. Plaza: Monument
“In memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.. His dream and life made clear the way toward human
rights and world peace for us, the inheritors of the dream. This memorial affirms our commitment to continue to strive for Dr. King’s vision
of a better world.” Dedicated January 21, 1991. (south side of Dr. Martin Luther King Plaza)
Medico Dental Building - 242 N. Sutter Street - Inscription. Designed and built by renowned Stockton architect Frank V. Mayo, FAIA, and
Howard Bissell, AIA, this is an excellent example of a commercial Gothic Style skyscraper. The steel-framed structure features a terraced
façade typical of eastern urban designs. The exterior is finished in “Coat of Joseph” face brick and trimmed in sandstone colored terra cotta
made in Lincoln, California. Stockton Historic Landmark No. 30 Designated by Stockton City Council 1982 (Marker Number 30.)
Millstones From Sperry Mill - Stockton established in 1852 (at foot of stairs of Pioneer Museum and Haggin
Galleries. (Pershing at Rose)
Miner Channel Commercial Block Historic Site
Since the Gold Rush, this surrounding block, once including Miner Channel
and Stockton's first theater, boomed with multi-cultural commercial and
residential enterprises. Archeology documents Chinese, German, Jewish and
other immigrants operating laundries, boarding houses, a dairy, butcher
shop, a saloon, a brewery, stables and later pioneering automotive
businesses. Stockton Historic site No. 3. Designated by Stockton City
Moses Rodgers Home - 921 S. San Joaquin
Inscription. One of California’s leading Black citizens build and resided in this home with his wife, Sara, and five daughters until his death
in 1900. Born a slave in Missouri, he participated in the California Gold Rush and earned a statewide reputation as a mining engineer. The
home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Stockton Historical Landmark No.22 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1978
Newell Home - 1107 N. San Joaquin St
- Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. This Queen Anne style home was built for
Sidney Newell, a banker for Stockton Savings Bank as well as a steamboat company executive, and his wife Anna Elizabeth (Upslone). The Samuel
and Joseph Newsom design features a hipped gable roof with a corbelled chimney on the south side (with a bargeboard, pendant, and vents),
turned posts, delicate woodwork, and a stained glass window in the entry. The home was added to the city register by resolution number 29,170
on July 6, 1971.
Nippon Hospital - 25 S. Commerce -
1919-1931 - The Nipponese community organized to build its own hospital because local Japanese
residents could not receive adequate hospital care during the flu epidemic of 1918. This Greek Revival Style building, listed on the National
Register of Historic Places, is now the only remaining structure of what was once was one of the largest Japanese districts in the United
North Stockton Police Facility
- Tam O'Shanter - Dedicated October 23, 2003
Charles E. Owen Home - 1119 N. San Joaquin St- In the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. The two-and-a-half story Queen Anne style
home was constructed for Charles Owen next to the home of the man who conveyed him the deed. Built at a cost of $10,000, it was completed in
February 1890. It was sold in 1909 to William Brennan, owner of a leading livery stable. The home features a gabled roof with boxed eaves,
lights, and shingles in the gables, bay windows with double-hung sashes, and wooden steps to the porch. It also has a hitching post in the
front yard, one of the few left in Stockton. Owen was an accomplished musician, and had composed pieces that were published in San Francisco
and Boston. The home is remarkable for its craftsmanship, as well as the quick construction timeline, remarkable for the 1890s. It was added
to the city register by resolution number 34,629 on November 7, 1977
Ort J. Lofthus Crosstown Freeway
- Transcription This outstanding civic leader rejected the prospect that Stockton would settled for a
"freeway to nowhere." He organized the FOCUS (Finish Our Crosstown-Unite Stockton) Committee and motivated our state government to complete
this vital link between I-5 and US 99. More than any other individual, he worked persistently to make it a "freeway to somewhere". Dedicated
March 16, 1987
Pacific Avenue: This plaque dedicated to Joseph Plecarpo whose faith and foresight has made possible Pacific Avenue,
The Miracle Mile, Herman Katten, Peter J. Marengo, Jr. August 25, 1953. (situated in front of palm tree near SW corner Pacific and Tuxedo
Philomathean Clubhouse -
1000 N. Hunter St -
Six Stockton women met November 17, 1893 to begin a private club which they
named Philomathean, which means "Lover of Learning." In 1910, members began planning a meeting place to call their own.W.E. Wood a local
architect donated the plans for this rustic craftsman design featuring decorative stained glass. The building was completed in 1912
: Pioneer Memorial Fountain erected by the Ladies Auxiliary and a grateful public in honor of the Pioneers of San
Joaquin County 1849-1909. (In Fremont Park across San Joaquin Street from Delta Post Office)
Pixie Woods Historical Bell: This bell was rung to announce the arrival of ships in the early days of Stockton and was
later used as St. Joseph’s chapel bell. Donated by St. Joseph’s Hospital (The bell and plaque are in Louis Park next to the Pixie Woods
Railroad Express Depot). (West end Monte Diablo Avenue)
Police Officers: Monument to recognize police officers who lost their life in the line of duty. Placed by the Stockton
Police Officers Association. (in front of Police facility, 22 E. Market Street)
Remember Pearl Harbor
- Inscription. On December 7, 1941, this country’s unpreparedness invited a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.
Which plunged us into a costly war and taught us that the price of peace is preparedness. Erected 1947 by Karl Ross Post No.16, American
Legion, December 7, 1947. Located at the base of the flag pole across from the entrance to the Stockton City Hall.
Reverend Jeremiah Burke Sanderson and The Elk Street School: Reverend Sanderson was a leader in California for
quality education for minority children. He was principal and teacher of the Elk Street Colored School in Stockton for “children of African,
Asian and Indian descent.” Plaque placed by the Esquire Club of Stockton and the City of Stockton on February 15, 1985. (south side of
Washington Street at Monroe Street) :ODMA\GRPWISE\COS.CDD.CDD_Library:76259.1 3
San Joaquin County Courthouse Site: This plaque marks the site given by Captain Charles M. Weber, July 27, 1855, for
the first courthouse of San Joaquin County. Dedicated by the Native Daughters of the Golden West of San Joaquin County, May 13, 1939. (SW
corner of Weber and San Joaquin)
San Joaquin County Jail -
Built in 1893, The northeast corner of San Joaquin and Channel streets. often called 'Cunningham's Castle,'
because of it's fortress-like structure which featured turrets having conical roofs, round masonry towers, short robust columns, and stonework
with a rough face
Santa Fe Railway
acquired it's route from Bakersfield to Stockton from the San Francisco San Joaquin Valley Railroad, known locally as
the "Valley Road". This line when completed in 1898 was the only railroad competing with the Southern Pacific monopoly in this area.
This 16 room mission style building cost $24,670. Stockton Historical Landmark No. 12 designated by the Stockton City Council 1972 - 735 S.
San Joaquin Street.
Sears Roebuck Building - 620 N. Aurora St
- Originally used by the Sunset Door and Sash Co., this vernacular style structure is the
oldest massive brick industrial complex still standing in Stockton. Remodeled in 1916, it became the Sears, Roebuck and Company’s only mail
order distribution center in California until 1927. Sears’ extensive stock ranged from baby carriages to windmills to feeding molasses. The
building was added to the city register by resolution number 86-0274 on May 12, 1986. Photo by Floyd Perry Jr.
Second Baptist Church: South side of Washington Street east of Madison Street - Site near where the Reverend Jeremiah King
founded the Second Baptist Church in September of 1854. Plaque placed by officers and members of the Second Baptist Church on September 19, 1986.
St Johns Episcopal Church and Guild Hall - 115 E. Miner St - Inscription. The guild hall of this church is an outstanding example of
Nordic Architecture: It was completed in 1889 at a cost of $9,200. The adjacent church was erected for $10,000 and the first service was held
December 18, 1892. Saint John’s and all older churches in the city received land from Stockton’s founder, Capt. Charles M. Weber. Stockton
Historical Landmark No.6 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1971
St. Joseph's Hospital: Rev. William B. O’Connor, Pastor of St. Mary’s Church, Stockton 1872 – 1911. Founder of St. Mary’s Home and
Hospital March 1899 (on back of monument J. MacQuarrie, sculptor, S.F. – L. DeRome, founder of S.F.). (situated in courtyard of old building
at St. Joseph’s Hospital California near Chestnut)
St Mary's Church - 203 E. Washington St. - Inscription. California’s first Archbishop, Joseph S. Alemany, laid the cornerstone July 21,
1861. The first mass was celebrated Christmas Eve of the same year. In 1870 the transept was added. The present steeple and ornate façade date
from 1893. Saint Mary’s is the oldest Catholic parish in the San Joaquin Valley. Stockton Historical Landmark No.1 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1971
Sperry Flour Mill Office - 146 W. Weber Avenue - Inscription. This structure once housed the general business offices of the second
largest flour milling operation in California. An addition to this building, matching the original Victorian Commercial architecture, was
completed in 1917. Sperry & Company was founded in Stockton 1852. Stockton Historical Landmark No. 3 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1971
Sperry Union Mill Warehouse - 445 W. Weber Ave - Constructed in the 1870s through 1897 This building is from an era when Stockton was a
major milling and international shipping center for grain. Built in stages, it was first occupied by the Granger co-operative union as one of
its Eureka Warehouses. The present size was reached after three expansions by the Sperry Flour Company to serve the adjacent flour mill. It is
listed in the National Register of Historic Places # 1979000541
Stockton Assembly Center - Inscription. Here, within the confines of San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, enclosed by barbed wire and
housed in temporary barracks, 4,217 San Joaquin County residents of Japanese ancestry, predominately American citizens, were interned from May
10 to October 17, 1942 under Executive Order 9066. May such usurpation of civil, social, and economic rights, without specific charges or
trial, never again occur. Erected 1984 by The State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Japanese American Community of
San Joaquin County, May 12, 1984. Located at the southern end of the parking lot of the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds.
Stockton City Hall - Inscription. Built in the spirit of the “City Beautiful” movement, the Stockton City Hall provides an outstanding
example of 1920’s construction techniques and design. The building’s Renaissance Revival Style was determined by a collaboration of Stockton
and San Francisco architects. The site, Lindsay Point, is a California Registered Historical Landmark. Erected 1983 by Stockton City Council. Marker Number 34.
Stockton Memorial Civic Auditorium -
1924 – 1925 - 525 N. Center St -
Inscription. The Classic Revival Style building by local
Architects Glenn Allen, Ivan C. Satterlee and W. J. Wright features sculptured panels over the seven front entrances. A California marble
floor and an art glass skylight, in the center of the flat dome. Stocktonians conducted bond drives to fund construction of the Memorial
Auditorium to honor those who gave their lives while serving in the Armed Forces in World War I. Stockton Historical Landmark No. 45 Designated by Stockton City Council 1990
Stockton Developmental Center
- Inscription. The Stockton Developmental Center was established in 1853 as the Insane Asylum of
California, the first of several state asylums. Stockton’s founder, Charles M. Weber, donated half of the 100 acre site. It was one of the
first facilities of its kind in the western U.S. and played a major role in developing California’s mental health system. In the early 1970’s,
the focus of the center shifted from treating patients with mental disabilities to training people with developmental disabilities. This
served to spearhead the movement to provide services outside the institutional setting. The Stockton Developmental Center was closed in 1996.
Located at Union Park near Acacia Street on the California State University Stanislaus
Stockton Dry Goods Company: This walk dedicated to A.B. Cohn, founder of the Stockton Dry Goods Co., as a token of esteem from his
friends and employees on the 21st anniversary of the founding of this firm. October 19, 1935. (In sidewalk NE corner of Main and American
Stockton's First High School
: This building housed the first high school organized in Stockton. According to records, the classes were
opened to students January 10, 1870. Twenty-eight pupils made up the new school. The faculty consisted of Miss Lottie Grunsky, Miss Alice M.
Mills, and Mr. Ewald Grunsky. These pupils received their high school diplomas December 23, 1870. This plaque presented and dedicated by
Stockton Parlor No. 256 N. D. G. W. June 14, 1938. (Plaque is on the west side of the Bank of Stockton Building on San Joaquin Street between
Miner and Lindsay Streets. Washington School, the building this plaque was originally fastened to, was torn down in 1959)
Stockton Rural Cemetery
: 1861 to 1958. El Toyon Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution marked this cemetery a historical spot of
California in memory of pioneers and veterans. (At end of Cemetery Lane just inside cemetery gate)
Stockton Savings and Loan Society Bank
1908 - 301 E. Main St
- Inscription. This classical Revival Style building was the
first “skyscraper” in Stockton. It was designed by San Francisco Architects Myers & Ward. California’s oldest men’s club, The Yosemite,
founded 1888, has always occupied the top floors. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Stockton Historical
Landmark No. 21 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1977
Street Car Barns and Offices - 2850 N. California St - Built in 1907 The first Stockton built 10 horsepower electric streetcars were
introduced in 1892 to replace horse and mule drawn trolleys used since 1875. The Stockton Electric Railroad Co. built the Streetcar Barns and
Office Complex in 1907 and utilized this facility until 1941 after which gasoline powered motor coaches served as the primary mode of public
transportation. The building was added to the city register by resolution number 85-0307 on May 13, 1985.
Superintendent's Residence - 521 E. Acacia St.
- Built in 1900 for the Stockton state hospital at a cost of $5,800. This 16 room home
is an excellent example of a southern mansion. The state hospital was established in 1853 as the first publicly supported facility for the
mentally ill in the west. Located in the Magnolia Historic Preservation District. National Register of Historic Places The home was added to
the city register by resolution number 29,086 on June 1, 1971
Original Temple Israel - 821 N. American St
- Built in 1855 A simple clapboard siding building, it's one of Stockton’s oldest buildings
and also the oldest surviving synagogue structure in California. Originally constructed near Miner Avenue and El Dorado Street it seated 200
and served surrounding counties. The building was moved to this site in 1905 and converted to apartments. Located in the Magnolia Historic
Preservation District. The oldest building on the city register, the building was added to the city register by resolution number 39,264 on
July 26, 1982
Temple Israel Cemetery
- 1110 East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim and North Union street. - Inscription - This hallowed ground was
donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the oldest Jewish cemetery in
continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains. Erected 1961 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the
Temple Israel and the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, December 10, 1961. Marker Number 765. See
Oldest Jewish Cemetery
Veterans Memorial - Monument to the veterans of America, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam. Placed by Karl Ross Post No. 16, American
Legion, on Juy 5, 1981. (Civic Auditorium Plaza, 525 N. Center Street)
Vietnam Memorial: Monument in memory of Stockton men who lost their life in Vietnam War. Placed by the Stockton Junior Women’s Club, 1973.
(north side of Dr. Martin Luther King Plaza) DR.
Wagner Leather Co. Engine Room - 122 E. Oak St. - Built in 1871, the building once housed the engine and boiler rooms of the Wagner
Leather Company operators of the Pacific Tannery from 1856-1926. This tannery occupied an entire block and for years was the only tannery in
the San Joaquin Valley and one of the largest in the west. Products including harness and sole leather were shipped throughout the pacific
coast, the orient and other world markets The structure was added to the city register by resolution number 30,809 on October 15, 1973.
Washington School - SE Corner of San Joaquin and Lindsay. The building faced San Joaquin. There was at this time 1,265 children entitled
to school privileges, and only nine school rooms to accommodate them. There was another bond issue in 1867 of $15,000 and in December, 1869,
the original Washington school building was erected. Occupying a quarter of a block two of the lots were donated by Captain Weber and two were
purchased. The building cost $20,627 and the entire cost was $25,724. It was a four-room building, the high school occupying two of the
second-story rooms. In 1891 a third story was erected to accommodate the increased attendance of the high school students, making it an
eight-room building. The removal of the high school pupils to their own high school building gave increased room to the lower grades and a few
years ago. For safety reasons the third story was torn off and the building remodeled as we see it here. The building later became the
district's "Administration Center" The building was razed in 1958 following its purchase by the Bank of Stockton.
Battle of Waterloo
- On November 9, 1861 near here six local landholders tried to evict John Balkwill, a "Squatter" from land
claimed by Alymer Drullard. As Balkwill had fortified his cabin, a cannon was borrowed at night from Stockton loaded with scrap iron and
pulled to within 250 yards of the "fort" Balkwill opened fire and the artillerymen returned four shots, all but one missing the
cabin. Three "posse" members were slightly wounded by Balkwill who was unhurt. The attackers were arrested, tried and fined.
Balkwill was allowed to keep the land which he later sold back to Drullard. Dedicated April 10, 1976, Tuleburgh Chapter No. 69 E Clampus Vitus.
- Transcription - The Weber Home - 1850 The residence of Captain Charles M. Weber, who founded Stockton in 1849, was located
450 feet west of this monument. The tower was often used by Weber to watch riverboats navigating the San Joaquin River and Stockton Channel.
In 1917 the house was destroyed by fire. The home site was part of El Rancho del Campo de los Franceses, Weber's 48,747 acre Mexican land
grant. This included most of the present site of Stockton and extended south and east encompassing the heart of San Joaquin County. Stockton
Historical Landmark No. 13 Designated by the Stockton City Council 1973 Site and Monument base are the donations of The Holiday Inns of
America and Fibreboard Corporation - Pickering Operations
Weber Plaque in Library Court
: 1964 Stone from Steinwenden near Kaiserslautern, Germany, birthplace of Charles M. Weber, Founder of
Stockton. (NE corner of Oak and El Dorado Streets).
Weber Primary School
- 55 West Flora - Inscription. This school building was named after Capt. Charles M. Weber, founder of Stockton,
who donated land for many early schools. Construction cost $12,888. May 12, 1873 was dedication day and classes have continued to date. The
red brick architecture is representative of the type of building once prevalent throughout Stockton that inspired a long forgotten nickname
“The Brick City.” This structure is the oldest brick building in the city retaining its original appearance. Stockton Historical Landmark No.
5 Designated by the Stockton City Council
Wong K. Gew Mansion - 345 W. Clay
- Designed by architect Peter Sala and constructed in a Classical Neo-Georgian style (1900-24)
by Losekann & Clowdsley, the home was one of the most costly in Stockton by the time it was completed in 1921. Gew had arrived in New
York in 1900, and moved to Stockton in 1910, operating gambling establishments and acting as a partner in the Lincoln Hotel and owner of the
Tong King Company and other Stockton gambling establishments. At the time, city ordinance prohibited Chinese people from establishing homes
north of Main Street, so Gew chose a large plot of land on Clay Street for his Southern-style home with twelve rooms (including two sleeping
rooms for servants), a marble fireplace, Honduras mahogany, columns, classical windows, and a balcony. Gew is noted for breaking through
several cultural and racial barriers, including hiring a Caucasian architect to design his home, as well as the fact that he was a well-
respected Chinese businessman who had money, owned a car, and built an extravagant home outside of the area covered by the ordinance. The
home is #78000761 on the National Register of Historic Places, and was added on September 20, 1978. It was added to the city register by
resolution number 30,834 on November 5, 1973
Wong Home - 704 N. Stockton St.
- Built in 1924 This classical Neo-Georgian style residence was designed by architect Peter L. Sala for
Wong Kee Quen. Born in China, Wong made his fortune in New York City and in 1912 started the operation of several local gambling establishments.
He was a principal partner in the construction of the elegant Lincoln Hotel, formed a Chinese language school and was a Wong family association
director. The home was added to the city register by resolution number 38,553 on September 8, 1981.