The Administration Building at the University of Idaho
The Idaho State Board of Education oversees three comprehensive universities. The University of Idaho in Moscow was the first university in the state (founded in 1889).
It opened its doors in 1892 and is the state grant institution and primary research university of the state. The Idaho State University in Pocatello was opened in 1901
as the Academy of Idaho, 1947 received the status of a four-year and 1963 a university status. Boise State University is the youngest college to gain university status
in Idaho. The school was opened in 1932 as Boise Junior College and 1974 Boise State University. Lewis-Clark State College at Lewiston is the only public,
non-university, 4-year college in Idaho. It was opened in 1893 as a normal school.
College of Idaho
• The college was conceived in 1884 when the Presbyterian Church's Wood River Presbytery, meeting in Shoshone, formed a commission to examine the possibility of
establishing a Presbyterian college somewhere in the Idaho Territory. The commission found support for such a venture and in 1890 the Presbytery accepted an offer from
a group of Caldwell citizens, led by William Judson Boone, to locate the institution in that community. In 1991, the college's board of trustees unanimously voted to
change its name to Albertson College of Idaho to honor alumnus and long-time donor Joe Albertson and his wife Kathryn. On October 10, 2007, yhe name reverted to The College of Idaho
Boise State University
• The school became Idaho's third state university in 1974, after the University of Idaho (1889) and Idaho State University (1963). Boise State now awards associate,
bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, and is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. As of 2010, the university has over 75,000
Boise State CollectablesIdaho State University
• On March 11, 1901, Governor Frank W. Hunt signed Senate Bill 53, to establish the Academy of Idaho, contingent upon private land donations being made for its site.
Idaho State Collectables. Theodore F. Turner, mayor of Pocatello, settled the issue (Battle of the Blocks) of the placement of the academy. The Academy of Idaho was officially opened in
Pocatello on May 1, 1901. The Academy of Idaho was renamed Idaho Technical Institute in 1915. It was renamed again in 1927, this time as the University of
Idaho—Southern Branch, and continued as a two-year school. In 1963, ISC was renamed for the fifth and final time to Idaho State University, reflecting its new status as
a full four-year public university.
Lewis-Clark State College
• The Idaho Legislature of 1893 created a normal school in name, but failed to appropriate state funds to provide it with a permanent home. As was typical of that era
and the century that followed, the citizens of Lewiston responded with open hearts. The City of Lewiston donated 10 acres on a barren, sandy hill overlooking its sparse
business district from the south to serve as the school's embryo. Soon to bear the name of "Normal Hill" after the mission of its principal occupant, the hill had no
city services, no luxury of lights, electricity or water. What it had, however, was potential.
Northwest Nazarene University
• Eugene Emerson organized a combination grade school and Bible school in 1913 as Idaho Holiness School. It was renamed twice in 1916, first to Northwest Holiness
College and then to Northwest Nazarene College, and then became a liberal arts college in 1917 with degree-granting authority from the Idaho state Board of
Education. It was renamed as Northwest Nazarene University (NNU) in 1999.
University of Idaho
• Idaho's oldest public university. It is the state's flagship, land-grant and primary research university. The University of Idaho was the state's sole university for
71 years, until 1963, and its College of Law, established in 1909, was first accredited by the American Bar Association in 1925. Formed by the territorial legislature
on January 30, 1889, the university opened its doors in 1892 on October 3, with an initial class of 40 students. The first graduating class in 1896 contained two men
and two women.
University of Idaho Collectables
Idaho Colleges and Universities
Reviewed by Others on
Idaho Colleges and Universities