Probably not one pioneer out of one hundred ever heard of Mokelumne City, and but few persons today could tell its location and yet when it was founded, near the
junction of the Consumnes and Mokelumne Rivers, its prospects were bright as the second largest town in the county, for it had deep water communication with San
Francisco all the year round, an advantage not possessed by any other town in the county except Stockton. Parties began moving there
in 1850. In August of that year the town was surveyed and many lots sold to individual parties for homes and business purposes. During one week five schooners arrived,
loaded with groceries, hardware and lumber. "Schooners were constantly arriving with goods," said a writer in the spring of 1860, "and the town is
increasing in size wonderfully, and several brick and wooden buildings have been constructed." In August, 1861, the town, included twenty-three houses and a hotel,
erected by George Keith at a cost of $5,000, with lots selling in price from $600 to $1,000 each. It was a town of just ten years of history, for all the inhabitants
then moved to Lodi
History of Lodi
In 1869 Messrs. Allen T. Ayers, J. U. Megley and R. L. Wardrobe
petitioned the railroad company to establish a station at the place
known as Lode, offering them an undivided half of a half mile square
of land on which to lay out the site for a town. This liberal offer
was accepted, and the company proceeded to lay out the plat, naming
the point Mokelumne station; but when some years afterward this name
was found to be too similar to others in the State, the present name
of Lodi was selected.
The village, which has now a population of about 1, 200, is
pleasantly located on comparatively high ground, about three-fourths
of a mile south of the Mokelumne river, eight miles north of the
Calaveras, and fourteen miles north of Stockton. The railroad runs
north and south through its center, and its depot grounds comprise
three squares. Although the town plat remains the same, the houses
occupy an area of one mile by three-fourths. The land in the
vicinity is sandy and excellent for almost all kinds of crops.
Watermelons have been a great specialty here for many years. The
surface of the ground does not become miry in wet weather. Below
the surface is a hard-pan, and beneath this again, only about
fifteen feet from the surface, good water is found in abundance.
In August, 1869, I. N. Stretch commenced building a dwelling-house
and store, - the latter on the corner of Pine and Sacramento
This store, when completed, occupied by J. M. Burt and C.O. Ivory;
they were the first buildings erected in the place. The second
building was a hotel, called the Hooker House, a kind of ark that
the flood of fortune had floated about the world until it finally
drifted, in its wanderings, to Mokelumne station. It was first
built at Sancho Plano, in Amador County, for a hotel, in the fall of
1861 Charles Hopkins moved it to Campo Seco, in Calaveras County,
and named it after General Hooker, who afterward became the hero of
In the spring of 1869, Dan Crist (commonly known as "Uncle Dan")
bought the house from Hopkins, with a view of taking it to Dover, on
the San Joaquin, and he moved it to Woodbridge, with this view,
intending to ship it from there by water, but found the river too
low. While it was lying there the town of Mokelumne was laid out,
and the destination of the wandering hotel was changed to the new
site, where it was erected under the name of Hooker House. In
January, 1870, Uncle Dan had an addition built to it by J. E.
In December, 1869, the railroad company commenced erecting the depot
buildings. In the same month J. A. Allison and W. Jacobs
established a state line between this place and Mokelumne Hill,
which made connections with the lines to Tuolumne and the upper part
of Calaveras and Amador counties. Uncle Dan was appointed
postmaster, keeping the post office at the Hooker House. Thus in
1869 was concentrated the nucleus- at hotel, store, depot,
post office and stage line- around which the future could rally and
build a town. In the spring of 1870, J. A. Allison built a livery
stable, a butcher shop was erected by Thompson & Folger, and B. D.
Beckwith finished a drug store.
It was in 1870 that by subscription a general fund was raised for
the purpose of building a church. The building was to be called the
Union Church, and be free to all denominations except the Mormons.
After the building was enclosed and three services were held therein
on the succeeding Sunday, before midnight it was accidentally burned
down. The same committee raised more funds and erected on the same
foundation another and a larger building, which was dedicated and
turned over to the Methodists, the only organized religious body in
During the month of September, 1870, J. W. Spencer and John
Flannagan commenced the erection of the Spencer House; it was
completed during the following winter and opened in February as a
hotel by Edward Olwell and Mr. J. Barry, who occupied it for one
year, and the J. E. Spencer became proprietor of the business.
Through Lodi east and west runs the San Joaquin & Sierra Nevada
Railroad, a narrow-gauge track.
The Lodi Mill and Warehouse Company, composed mostly of farmers, in
1876 erected a flouring-mill at Lodi, of brick, with four sets of
buhrs for wheat and middlings, and one set for barley. The cost was
$30,000. A. W. Gove was the first secretary of the company, and Mr.
Bingham the first manager. The mills were set in operation in the
autumn of that year, with a 119-horse-power engine, which is still
in use there. The establishment afterward fell into the hands of
George S. Locke, the mortgagee, and he ran it occasionally until the
spring of 1882, when Sperry & Co., of Stockton, rented it and ran
the mills at intervals for about eighteen months. In October, 1883,
they abandoned them, and nothing more was done until July, 1884,
when they were purchased by Corson, Lasell & Wright, who continued
in partnership about two years, and then Corson (C.H.) purchased the
interest of his partners. About a year and a half afterward he
admitted into partnership F. R. Clark, but since October, 1888, Mr.
Corson as been sole proprietor.
In the fall of 1884 the roller system was introduced and combined
with the stone work but in July, 1887, the latter was removed. The
capacity of the mill is 200 barrels a day, and is run for local
trade nearly half the time.
The warehouse in connection therewith has a storage capacity of
The Lodi Land and Lumber Company, in 1877, built on the Mokelumne
river, about a mile from Lodi, one of the finest saw-mills on the
cost at a cost of $40,000, the mill having a capacity of 40,000 feet
The Lodi Planing Mills were started in operation about the middle of
April, 1889, by Huestis who now runs the mill, manufacturing
furniture and building material, both redwood and pine. When
working to its full capacity the mill gives employment to seven or
The Lodi Bank was incorporated June 7, 1888, and does a general
banking business. B. F. Langford, president; Francis Cogswell,
vice-president; Guy W. Currier, cashier.
The principal hotel in the place is the Sargent House, where a huge-
fireplace, Southern style, is kept well supplied with burning wood,
so that one can warm himself there thoroughly and quickly, with no
confined foul air to breathe. In this respect this is the best
hotel the writer has found in all his travels in the Golden State.
The Lodi Hall Association erected in 1876 a magnificent two-story
brick building, a 30x90 feet, at a cost of $16,000.
The Valley Review was first issued July 20, 1878, being
established by Mrs. Gertie de Force Cluff, sister of Mrs. Laura de
Force Gordon. Its size was a seven-column folio, 24x36 inches,
weekly. In 1884 Mrs. Cluff sold to Walcott & Cheney, and they in
turn, about a year later, to Bloomer & Moore. Subsequently the
institution was sold by the sheriff.
In 1885 Mrs. Cluff started the Lodi Cyclone, same size, but
eight pages with five columns to the page. A year afterward she
sold to Howell & Matteson, who changed the paper to the Lodi News.
In July 7, 1887, the office was accidentally destroyed by fire, with
but little insurance.
August 16, 1888, the present Valley Review, a weekly folio,
was started by Frank B. Cluff, a very young man who has been a
resident here since October 1875. He was born in La Crosse,
Wisconsin, and was but eight years old when he came with his parents
to Lodi. His father, George F. Cuff, a native of Massachusetts, and
his mother, of Pennsylvania, are residents of Lodi. Young Cuff was
only eighteen years of age when he assumed the business management
of the Cyclone, and he is now proprietor of the Valley
Review. This, as well as all the papers started here by his
relatives, have been, is a prosperous journal.
The Lodi Sentinel was first established July 9, 1881, by W.R.
Ellis and J. W. McQuaid, from Napa County. The former is now
proprietor of the Woodland Daily Mail; the latter sold
to his partner in 1885 and is now connected with the Marysville
Democrat. In 1887 F. E. Ellis bought the paper, and in July ,
1888, sold a half interest to his brother, H. F., thus forming the
present partnership. The paper, a weekly folio of seven columns to
the page, is now printed in the Back block, up stairs. Republican
in politics. F. E. Ellis is editor, and H. F. Ellis is the printer.
F.E. Ellis was born and brought up in Napa County, this State,
receiving his education at the high school in Napa City; taught
school three or four years in San Joaquin and Calaveras counties,
and then came to Lodi. Here he is also secretary of the Odd
Fellows lodge, and he has passed all the chairs in the order of the
Knights of Pythias.
The Lodi Library and Reading Room Association was organized in
1886. The Sargent Brothers, of Lodi, and James A. Loutti, Esq., of
Stockton, were liberal donors to the fund. The library, now
comprising 600 to 700 volumes, is kept in the Sentinel
office, where it is conveniently kept open all day every workday by
the proprietors of that paper, Mr. F. E. Ellis being secretary and
librarian for the association. W. C. Green is president. For
membership there is a small fee, but there are no assessments. The
selection of books is superior, as it has been made with a definite
purpose, and it is not a mere storage room for old, worthless books.
By way of episode we may here relate that April 1, 1889, some
members of the association loudly advertised, "with gun, drum ,
trumpet, blunderbuss and thunder" (Pope) on the streets of Lodi and
Woodbridge, attracting immense crowds, that a monster minstrel
troupe of local talent would give a grand performance in the
evening at a certain hall. The sale of tickets amounted to about
$100. The hour for exhibiting arrived, but not the performers, when
the citizens called to mind that it was "All Fools; Day," pardoned
the roguish chaps for their philanthropic enterprise and went home
calling it "square".
A two-story frame school building, 30x40 feet, was erected in 1872,
at an expense of $42,169, raised by special tax. The present
school-house, a neat two-story frame of eight rooms in the
southeastern part of town, was erected in 1881 or 1882, at a cost of
$15,000. Here the average attendance is about 200, while the number
of children of school age in the village is 306. School in
maintained nine months each year. J. N. Summers is the principal,
and there are four assistant teachers.
Lodi Lodge, No. 256, F. & A. M. ., was organized in 1879, with
twelve charter members, and Ralph Ellis as the first master. There
are now about thirty-three members. Lodge meets every Thursday
before the full moon. Dr. E. F. Grant is secretary.
Lodi Lodge, No. 259, I.O.O.F., was instituted May 22, 1877,
the charter members being John Rutan, P.G.; C. V. Williamson, P. G.;
Morgan Crawford, P.G.; Howard M. Craig, Henry Witte, Samuel Ferdun,
Reuben Pixley, John Hutchins, Ezekiel Lawrence, A. T. Ayres, W. D.
Smith, Thomas Russell, Thomas Fairchilds, G. B. Ralph and C. T.
Riggs. The first officers of the organization were John Rutan, N.
G.; Henry Witte, V.G.; Thomas Russell, R. S.; A. T. Ayres, P. S.; E.
Lawrence, Treasurer. The present membership is sixty. William
Ennis is D. D. G. M. of District No. 79, which includes Lodi,
Woodbridge, Clements, Lockford and Elliott.
Pythagoras Lodge, No. 41 K. of P., was organized February 17,
1877, with, for its first officers, E. B. Sherman, C. C.; H. C.
Gillingham, V. C.; H. M. Craig, Prelate; John Rutan, K. of R. & S.;
F. Davis, M. of F.; M. Bruml, M. of Ex.; G. Kirkland, M. at A. ; E.
W. S. Wood, I. G.; W. D. Smith, O. G., and a strong membership. In
the spring of 1883 a division took place, and out of the old society
was formed Salem Lodge, No. 105. and the two organizations
continued separate until January, 1887, when they were united under
the name of Lodi Lodge No. 41, K of P., which now has a
membership of eight, and the following officers: E. B. Wright, P.
C.; George E. Carver, C. C., and H. S. Clark, K. of R. & S. Lodge
meets every Saturday night. This society has paid out large amounts
of money for benefits.
Lodi Lodge, No. 189. I. O. G. T., was organized October 19,
1877, with the following persons for its first officers: J. H.
White, W. C. t.; Mrs. Mary Hill, W. V. T.; D. Wardrobe, R. S.; Mrs.
Aldridge, F. S., Miss J. Parmeter, Treas.; Frank Smith, M.; Mrs.
Blanch, D. M.; A. Wardrobe, I. G.; J. Rixon, C.; Rachel Parmeter, P.
W. C. T. This society went down and
Enterprise Lodge, No. 285, I. O. G. T., was instituted
during the first week of November, 1887, with about fifteen
charter members; there are now seventy in good standing, and the
chief officers are J. A. Anderson, C. T.; May Pickings, V.T.; Frank
Christie, Rec. Sec., Marion Eliott, Fin. Sec. Friday evening is the
time of meeting.
The W. C. T. U. of Lodi was organized November 29, 288r, with
only six members: there are now thirty-five. The officers from the
first to the present have been: Mrs. William Moore, president; Mrs.
C. F. Grant, Secretary. Society meets every two weeks. At one
meeting there will be a bible exercise , at another, hygiene will be
the topic, at another heredity etc., there being a regularly elected
superintendent for each department. For the free distribution of
temperance literature, they have also to some extent introduced
temperance literature in the public schools.
The Loyal Legion, No. 1, a branch of the above, and
consisting of persons of both sexes and of all ages, has been in
existence for three or four years. They undergo a sort of military
drill. The membership in this society is about seventy.
Lodi Grange, No. 92, P. of H., was organized August 29, 1873,
and erected the "Odd Fellows Hall" building, which they still own.
The Odd Fellows sub-lease a portion of the building to the Knights
of Pythias. The first story is devoted to mercantile business. The
Grangers' Co-operative Business Association was a private stock
company which ran a general store. Lodi is also the headquarters of
the Pomona, or county grange, whose regular meeting occur four times
a year. S. Ferdun is master of the subordinate grange, and J. D.
Huffman is secretary of both granges.
Source: Carolyn Feroben.
Transcribed by Kathy Sedler
917 S. Cherokee
Lodi, The Tokay City
TWELVE miles north of Stockton lies
Lodi, the Queen City of the San Joaquin Valley. It excels all other
cities not so much in the number of its population, about 7,000, nor
in its area, about one mile square; but it excels in its progress,
government, civil pride, splendid churches and schools, handsome
residences and social qualities. It owns its own lighting and water
plant, sixteen miles of fine asphalt streets, sewerage system,
handsome little theater, and fine hotel. And during the past year it
has expended over $1,638,000 in municipal improvements, public
service utilities, business houses and private dwellings.
Soon after the Civil War J. C. Layman
arrived overland and obtained from a man named Spencer his claim to
160 acres of land where now stands Lodi. He got the land for a span
of horses. The land was so thickly covered with brush in many places
that it was almost impossible to force one's way through. He bought
several acres from R. L. Wardrobe, whose land was adjoining Layman's
on the east side, at $2.50 an acre. He then owned some 240 acres of
land on what is now north of Lodi Avenue and west of the Central
Pacific Railroad. Layman with his family lived in a rudely
constructed house on what is now West Walnut Street between
Sacramento and School Streets. In 1867 he sold the entire tract to
R. L. Wardrobe and Allen C. Ayers for $6.50 an acre and moved to
When the engineers of the Central
Pacific Railroad Company started to find the best and cheapest route
from Sacramento to Stockton they made three preliminary surveys over
northern San Joaquin County. One of these surveys was through
Woodbridge straight into El Dorado Street, Stockton, a second survey
about a mile east of Woodbridge, and a third survey over the route
where now lies Lodi. Woodbridge was their choice of routes, but it
is said the owners of the land refused to give them the right-of-way
and asked for damages far in excess of the value of the land. Others
say that the engineers were advised to locate their track farther
east on the high land, as the Woodbridge route was frequently
flooded from the high waters of the Mokelumne River. Woodbridge was
a thriving town with a farming community surrounding it, and on
tidewater with river communication to the ocean, while the Lodi
section appeared to be a waste of sand, forest, trees, sage brush
After the survey had been made through
Lodi, A. T. Ayers, John U. Magley, R. L. Wardrobe and E. Lawrence
petitioned the railroad company to locate a station on their land.
As a bonus the three owners first named agreed if a station was
there built and a town laid off to give the railroad every odd lot
in the proposed town and a railroad reservation of twelve acres in
the center of the town. Although the land at that time was of no
great value, worth only the Government price $2.50 an acre, it was a
good proposition and the company quickly accepted it. The survey was
made in the spring of 1869, by the company's surveyor, Isaac C.
Smith. He laid off the new town about one-half mile square, true to
the points of the compass. It was a tract of 166 acres and included
twenty-four acres of Magley's land, twenty-five acres of the Ayres
tract and fifty-five acres of the Wardrobe property. A railroad
reservation unfortunately was plotted in the center of the town. And
now it is a great detriment to the city and getting worse every
year. The streets were named running from east to west, Cherokee,
Stockton, Main, Sacramento, School, and Church; from the north to
south, Locust, Elm, Pine, Oak, and Walnut. Cherokee Lane, now the
State Highway, was the eastern boundary of the town. The town plat
from which this record is taken was filed in the county clerk's
office August 25, 1869, by Dr. E. S. Holden of Stockton. The town
was named Mokelumne City, but as it caused a confusion with
Mokelumne station and Mokelumne Hill the citizens petitioned the
legislature and in 1874 the name was changed to Lodi. Why the
four-lettered name of Lodi? Nobody knows. Some say, among them
George E. Lawrence, that the name was suggested "by the historic
event of Napoleon at the Bridge of Lodi." Others say that in jest,
it was named Lodi because of a famous four mile running stallion by
that name stabled in the town, Lodi at that time being known as "the
The first building was the house
erected by J. U. Magley in 1868 on the corner of what is now Pine
and School Streets. After the laying off of the town the first
building was a dwelling erected in August, 1869, by I. N. Stretch on
the corner of Pine and Sacramento Streets. He also built a store for
J. M. Burt & Ivory, who had come up from Woodbridge. The next
building in the town was the famous Hooker House, so named after
General Hooker, a famous Civil War general. The house was built for
a hotel at Lancha Plana. Later it was removed to Campo Seco. In 1869
"Uncle Dan" Crist bought it intending to remove it to Dover on the
San Joaquin River. It was moved to Lockeford, loaded on the steamer
Pert, which sailed to Woodbridge. Then the future Lodi was founded
and Crist then moved the old-timer to the new town. A post office was
established and Crist was the first appointed postmaster. In the
spring of that year, 1869, J. R. Allison built a stable and he and
W. Jacobs established a stage line from Mokelumne City to Mokelumne
Hill, the line making connections with the railroad. About the same
time Thompson & Folger, from Woodbridge, opened a butcher shop, and
Byron D. Beckwith opened a drug store. In September, 1870, John E.
Spencer and John Flanigan built the Spencer House and it was opened
in February, 1871, by Edward Olwell and J. A. Barry. The following
year Spencer himself became the proprietor. In October, 1870, a
correspondent wrote: "Our town is growing quite rapidly. Last spring
we boasted of having eighteen houses, now we have fifty-six. Rev.
Dr. Bryant is preparing to erect a church. R. Lefler & Co. are
putting up a large hotel fronting 128 feet on two streets. W. B.
Arnold has erected a substantial brick building. Charles O. Ivory of
Stockton is putting up a two-story building for his bride, and R. C.
Bosworth, James Ellison, C. M. Boalt, Isaac N. Stretch and Samuel
Gray are erecting new homes. Woodbridge is contributing quite
liberally towards building up the town, moving their houses to the
railroad city. Liberty is sending her citizens, so also is Galt.
George Crist, formerly the Woodbridge postmaster, is making
improvements in his hotel, and has a big run of custom. Peck &
Company are running a daily line of stages to Mokelumne Hill, and
strangers are here looking for investments." Ten years later another
writer declared, "Lodi owes its existence to the caprice of the
railroad magnates. Had the railroad been built through Woodbridge,
as at first mapped out, the site of Lodi would today have been a
stubblefield. The population is about 800, and the various trades
are well represented. Cluff & Smith are dealers in agricultural
implements; J. E. Spencer has the only hotel; W. J. Rixon,
restaurant and bakery; Ellison & Bunke, livery stable; Mrs.
Herrington, millinery; Byron D. Beckwith, postoffice; Ralph Ellis,
Lodi flour mill; A. Levinsky, dry goods; Ivory & Greene, general
merchandise, and Dr. Williamson is the leading physician."
The Big Fire of 1887
One of the most disastrous fires of
Lodi was that of October 11, 1887. It broke out on the roof of the
Novelty planing mill and within an hour the principal business
blocks bounded by Sacramento, Pine, School and Elm Streets were a
smoldering mass of ashes. The only buildings left were the Grangers
two-story brick and two dwellings in the northern corner of the
block. The fire was first seen by the engineer of the mill, Len
Williams, as he came from dinner. He instantly gave the alarm and
the whistle of the Lodi flour mill was blown. There was no fire
department nor fire apparatus, and the citizens' efforts to check
the progress of the flames with buckets of water was a hopeless
task. The loss was estimated at $70,000 and among the losers was
Martin & Rolland, planing mill; Mrs. A. Prieter, blacksmith shop; C.
A. Rich, dwelling; G. W. Hill, jewelry store; J. J. Collins,
hardware; H. Marker, saloon; A. C. Chalmers, restaurant; W. D. Smith
& Son, butchers; Dougherty & Duffy's saloon; George F. Cluff, real
estate; Hanson & Co., druggists; Lee & Juline, saloon; Thompson &
Flogers, butchers; Richard Cope, harness and saddle shop; A. J.
Larson, restaurant, and John Mundell, butcher.
The Lodi Hall Association
The Grangers general merchandising
store was erected at 71 S. Sacramento in 1876 by the Lodi Hall Association at a cost of
$9,750, the contract being let September 2, 1876, to Matthew
McCarty, the Stockton contractor of St. Agnes' Academy. The
association was incorporated April 8, 1876, with a capital stock of
$20,000, with shares at $25 per share. The directors were Byron D.
Beckwith, Amos W. Gove, John Hutchings, Henry Witte, C. C. Stoddard,
N. S. Misener and B. F. Langford. The building is the two-story
brick now on the corner of Sacramento and Elm streets, and the men
who built were the forerunners of the enterprising citizens of Lodi
of today. Not satisfied with erecting a fine building for that day
they made further improvements in October, '76, by laying a
twelve-foot asphalt sidewalk around the entire building.
Lodi Lodge, I. O. O. F.
The fire was a great loss to the Odd
Fellows, as they had just gone into the hall the previous year. Lodi
lodge No. 259 was organized May 22, 1877, with fifteen charter
members. The first officers were: John Rutan, noble grand; Henry
Witte, vice grand; Thomas Russell, recording secretary; Allen T.
Ayers, financial secretary, and Ezekiel Lawrence, treasurer. The
additional charter members were: Past Grands C. V. Williamson,
Morgan Crawford, Howard M. Craig, Samuel Ferdun, Reuben Pixley and
John Hutchins. Where the lodge was organized or their place of
meeting I know not. Probably in the same place they meet today, the
hall being dedicated June 16, 1886. The hall was dedicated by Grand
Master C. T. Eachran, assisted by brothers from the Stockton lodges.
The ceremony was followed by a splendid program of musical and
literary exercises. Then followed a fine supper at the Sargent House
given by the Daughters of Rebekah, and the receipts of the supper
went towards fitting up the new hall.
Flora Rebekah Lodge No. 162
This lodge, with a splendid membership
of 154, including fifty-one Odd Fellows, was instituted October 21,
1890. The first officers were Mrs. E. Hunting, noble grand; Mrs. W.
B. White, vice grand; Mrs. John Hunting, chaplain; Mrs. W. C. Green,
secretary; Mrs. Reuben Pixley, treasurer; Mrs. H. Witte, conductor;
Reuben Pixley, inside guard; Henry Witte, right support noble grand;
Mrs. Samuel Ferdun, left support noble grand; Mrs. B. Jory, right
support vice grand; Mrs. George Hogan, left support vice grand. A
few weeks after the instituting of the lodge the staff of Lebanon
went to Lodi and conferred the beautiful Rebekah degree on
twenty-one candidates. The team was composed of May Neumiller, Mrs.
R. Roeblin, Mrs. Hoyle Greenwood, Alice Kafitz, Ida Confer, Amanda
Grider, Mrs. C. H. Keagle, Mrs. Sol Confer, Agnes Steiny, George
Homage, Allie Fyfe, Mamie Oldham, Mrs. Harry Homage, May Woodhull,
Grace Farrington, Emma Waters and Jennie Fyfe.
Knights of Pythias
Lodi lodge No. 41, Knights of Pythias
is the outgrowth of Pythagoras lodge No. 41, instituted February 18,
1877, by Charles S. Eichelberger, past grand chancellor, assisted by
members from the Stockton Knights. The lodge was instituted with a
charter membership of fourteen Knights. The following officers were
elected and installed: Henry Witte, past chancellor; E. B. Sherman,
chancellor commander; H. C. Gillingham, vice chancellor; H. M.
Craig, prelate; John Rutan, keeper of records and seals; Frank
Davis, master of finance; M. Bruml, master of exchequer; George
Kirkland, master at arms; E. W. S. Woods, inside guardian; W. D.
Smith, outside guardian. In the spring of 1883 a new lodge was
organized by the former members of Pythagoras lodge. The new lodge
was hailed as Salem lodge No. 105. The two lodges were united in
January, 1887, under the present name Lodi No. 41. Since 1901 the
Knights have met in the Odd Fellows hall.
At one time, 1882, the Chosen Friends
was a popular organization and a council of the order was instituted
in Lodi, December 8, with twenty-five members. The following were
the elected officers: P. C. C., W. R. Ellis; C. C., J. A. Wilson; O.
C., Henry Kinard; prelate, T. A. Wilson; secretary, C. J. Waldren;
treasurer, E. R. Pease; W. M., F. N. Copeland; sentinel, S. H.
Turndell; medical examiner, Dr. E. A. Burchard.
The 4th of July, 1885
Lodi has always been famed for its
celebrations, and their first celebration of America's Natal day is
a well-remembered event. Her enterprise in having a free barbecue as
the chief feature of the celebration resulted in crowding the town
with visitors. Senator B. R Langford was president of the day, and
A. J. Larson, grand marshal. About 10 o'clock in the morning a
procession, including a majority of the visitors, was formed at the
corner of Sacramento and Elm streets and the march was taken up to
Lodi park. The Lodi silver cornet band and the Lodi glee club
furnished excellent music. Senator Langford made a short speech of
welcome and F. B. Mills read the Declaration of Independence,
Charles Ferdun gave a declamation, and Joel A. Snell supplied the
original poetry. The opening prayer was delivered by Rev. W. R.
Gober, and the benediction was pronounced by Rev. Dr. N. W. Lane.
The oration was delivered by Judge Van R. Patterson, who did himself
and Stockton credit. Foot races, base ball, other games and dancing
supplied all the enjoyment that was needed after the general attack
on the roasted ox, until 4 o'clock, when the horrible organization
of Calethumpians paraded and then indulged in literary exercises.
Hartford Post, G. A. R.
The Grand Army of the Republic is fast
being mowed down by the scythe of Old Father Time, and in a few more
years their record will be complete. In 1890 there were quite a
number of the old guard living in Lodi, and on a Saturday evening,
May 12, 1890, thirty-three of them assembled and organized a Grand
Army Post. They selected the name of Admiral Farragut's famous
flagship Hartford as the name of their post. The following officers
were elected: T. F. Tracy, captain; John Archer, post commander;
Reuben Pixley, senior vice-commander; J. W. Horton, junior
vice-commander; B. M. Vichey, adjutant; Eli Dayton, quartermaster;
J. J. Robinson, surgeon; Lemon Williams, chaplain; A. A. McClelland,
officer of the day. They were mustered in a few days later by Judge
Buckley, the newly elected commander.
The Moquelemos Grant Celebration
Probably the most heart-felt
celebration ever held in Lodi was that of May 19, 1876, when the
settlers in that section celebrated their victory over the Central
Pacific Railroad which claimed a large section of their lands. The
contest between the settlers and the railroad was in the courts for
many years and finally reaching the Supreme Court of the United
States, May 8, 1876, the following joyful news was received by Henry
S. Sargent of Stockton by telegraph from Congressman Horace F. Page:
"Case of Newhall versus Sanger decided for the settlers, sustained
in every point." The settlers were so happy over the fact that they
would not be dispossessed of their homes that they resolved to
celebrate the event with a big barbecue, a monster parade, an
oration, games, baseball, and other amusements. Stockton had been
invited and an excursion train of twenty-two cars attended the
celebration. The crowd of over 2,000 citizens, including the
Stockton Guards and firemen both in full uniform, the Knights of
Pythias and the San Joaquin band. There was a short parade, an
oration by Joseph H. Budd and then the barbecue, in the Lodi park.
An immense crowd for that day were in attendance, from 10,000 to
15,000 people from all parts of the county.
The Salem District School
James A. Sollinger, then county
superintendent, said in an address in 1883, that at first the school
districts were designated by numbers and the children few in number
and the school houses far apart. The section around Lodi was known
as school district No. 2. The school commissioners were J. H. Woods,
D. J. McNeil and Otis Newton. The district included both sides of
the Mokelumne River. In 1858 the districts were given names and the
Lodi district was known as Henderson, named after Thomas J.
Henderson, the first school census marshal. In 1859 the district was
divided and that portion south of the river was known as Salem
district. In that year the county superintendent, L. C. Van Allen,
appointed John Coldwell and George D. Compton as the school trustees
of the new district. The first teacher of the school was J. P.
Carleton, later a teacher in the Stockton schools. He was succeeded
by Hamilton Wermouth, in the spring of 1860. The teacher first named
was paid his salary from a subscription fund donated by the farmers.
Wermouth was paid from the state and county fund, it amounting to
the magnificent sum of $86.85. There was not a dollar in the Salem
school fund, and when the trustees gave the teacher the order for
his salary, they "fired him" and refused to permit him to continue
teaching. Wermouth was determined to continue his school work. Going
to a Mr. Willhelm near the ferry he rented the second story of his
home and continued his school teaching. The third teacher was a
pedagogue who liked his toddy. He would try to conduct his school
while under the influence of liquor and one day a trustee gave him a
severe caning, and he was discharged. The fourth teacher, Mr.
Foster, was very successful in his school work.
The first schoolhouse in the Salem
district was built in 1858 on the south side of the Mokelumne River
on the land owned by Ezekiel Lawrence. The money for the building
was subscribed by the settlers, and the lumber obtained in the
mountains was brought to the site by Victor and Peter Jahant. The
doors, windows, sash and furniture for the building were made by Mr.
Lawrence, who was a carpenter. After the division of the district
the little schoolhouse was removed to a point about a mile and a
half further south on what is now known as the Barnhart tract. After
the railroad came through, the building was again moved this time to
the present location of the Salem school. It was again moved to make
way for a larger building, and for several years it was the home of
James Hutchins. Lucille Lefeber in a newspaper article published
some years ago gives a different account of the first school, which
consisted of one room and was located on the northwest corner of
Pine and School Streets, hence the name of the street. She wrote:
"The first schoolhouse on the present Salem school grounds was built
in 1872. It was 30x40 feet, two stories high, and cost $2,160. In
1881 a one-room addition was added and the next year another room
was added in the yard." The "Lodi Sentinel" published at that time
speaks of one building as "the kitchen" and of the other as "the
woodshed". Before the last room was added, the extra pupils were
housed in Stoddard's hall, which is now the Cosmopolitan hotel, at
the corner of East Oak and Main streets. The enrollment at that time
was 193. Professor Russell was the principal when the present Salem
school was erected. The old building was moved to West Pine Street,
where it was used for the dining room of the old Lodi Hotel for
years. A pupil in this school was Laura DeForce Gordon, one of the
first advocates for woman suffrage and the second woman in the state
admitted to the practice of law.
The Last Salem school, a wooden two story structure, was built in
1883 at a cost of $12,000, some say $15,000. It is located at 200 S.
Stockton near Walnut street and was quite a school building in its
day. The county superintendent in speaking of it said "This
magnificent school building with its mighty dome to the heavens is a
monument to the enterprise and energy of the citizens of Lodi and
Salem district." It was dedicated October 13, 1883 and was abandoned
by 1938. A few years later it was decided
to form a high school to include the following districts: Salem,
Harmony, Live Oak and Alpine district. An election for school
trustees was held in the districts named July 11, 1891, and the
following trustees elected: James A. Anderson from Salem, T. P.
Heath, Harmony; George Hazen, Live Oak, and M. C. Dow, Alpine. In
organizing as a school board John A. Anderson was elected president
and George Goodcell, clerk. A part of the grammar school was given
over to the high school which was known as the Lodi High School.
The following teachers were the
principals of the school up to 1907. O. E. Swain, Freeman B. Mills,
Wm. Piper, Edward McCourt, Mr. Somers, C. Adams; 1891, E. B. Wright,
Eugene Hogan, M. C. Dow, F. B. Wooten, 1902, George M. Steele, 1904,
John Anderson, John Williams, 1911, William Inch.
The Emerson School
The Salem school in 1904 was more than
crowded with pupils and as more school room was necessary the
trustees called for a bond issue of $25,000 for the purpose of
purchasing land and erecting a large wooden building. The bonds were
voted and the trustees purchased a block of land just four blocks
from Sacramento street between Elm and Pine streets. They named it
Emerson after the famous essayist, and it was dedicated in 1907, the
last of the fire-trap school buildings.
The Union High School
A mass meeting was held May 18,1911,
for the purpose of discussing the question of a Union high school
for the northern part of the county. George E. Lawrence was elected
chairman of the meeting and L. V. Peterson secretary. It was
resolved to organize a high school to include the Lodi, Lockeford,
Victor, Henderson, Woodbridge, Alpine, La Fayette and Houston
districts. It was proposed to bond these districts for $150,000, the
bond election to take place December 14, 1911. The night before the
election there was an immense mass meeting in the opera house which
was addressed by Hillard E. Welch, George M. Steele, the Rev. E. B.
Winning of the Methodist church, Wm. Inch, principal of the high
school, and Hugh McNoble. On the morning of the election there was a
parade of over 1000 school children, carrying flags and banners. The
vote for the bonds was 931 for and only 366 against. The bonds were
sold at a premium of $12,000. The trustees selected as the high
school site the twelve-acre tract of Thomas Hutchings just west of
the limits of Lodi. There was as usual in every progressive
movement, considerable opposition to this site. And at the election
for trustees, April 5, 1912, the knockers tried unsuccessfully to
elect a new board of trustees, but the old board were re-elected, by
a handsome majority. In 1919 the trustees erected a splendid high
school in honor of the American Legion and named it Clyde Needham,
in honor of the first Lodi boy to die on the battlefields of France.
It is built of hollow tile and cost $110,000. Contractors declare it
the final work in school construction and equipment. It has ten
rooms, including the study room, which has a seating capacity of
400. The school will accommodate 200 pupils. The study hall is
fitted with a stage and dressing rooms. There is also a projection
room for moving pictures. The social science department is equipped
with gas ranges, modern kitchen, dining room and other appliances.
There is also a fine manual training shop. The school was opened to
students on March 1st. The board of trustees follows: J. C. Kellar,
William H. Faust, George A. Keagle.
The school was dedicated February 22,
1921, with very impressive ceremonies including a parade of the
American Legion, Woman's Relief Corps, Boy Scouts, Golden Star
mothers who lost their sons, and school children led by the Tokay
band with Mayor John S. Montgomery as grand marshal, assisted by
Walter Jahant, Harry T. Bailey, E. A. Thompson and H. L. Emerson. On
arrival at the front of the school building the following program
was given, singing of "America" by Mrs. Mary Mac Adam Yerbury;
prayer, Rev. Charles Price; address, Maj. W. P. Garrison; address,
Governor W. D. Stephens; presentation of flag to school by Mrs.
Belle Wright for Hartford Corps No. 49, W. R. C.; solo, "Flanders
Requiem," Mrs. Yerbury; address, Maj. W. A. Mason, commander of
Needham's corps; "Star Spangled Banner," Tokay band. During the
afternoon Governor Stephens was given a lunch in the Hotel Lodi as
the guest of Maj. W. E. Garrison, Mayor John S. Montgomery, H. E.
Welch, John B. Cory, J. M. Blodgett, Dr. J. P. Sargent, J. V. Bauer,
V. R. Larson, George H. Moore, T. G. Elwert and Marshall Dement.
That evening there was an entertainment in the Lodi theater for the
benefit of the Tokay band, the proceeds to go towards paying for
their new uniforms.
A second fine school building was
erected in March, 1922, at a cost approximately of $65,000, in the
southern part of the city on what is known as the Sturla tract. The
building, 125x210 feet, is of concrete and hollow tile with a
composition roof. The structure which contains six class rooms,
including a manual training department, domestic science room, model
dining room, large assembly hall capable of seating 400 people,
library and board room, with offices for the superintendent and
principal. The assembly hall will be fitted with a large stage with
all the necessary equipment. The class rooms will be arranged around
a patio, with covered walks connecting with each room.
The Methodist Episcopal Church
Approaching Lodi on a Sunday evening
the traveler's attention is called to an unusual light in the
horizon. Coming near he sees that it is a brilliantly electrically
lighted revolving cross, some eighty feet in the air, surmounting
the tower of the Methodist Episcopal church. It is a beautiful
temple of worship of brick and red sandstone, erected in 1919 at a
cost of $50,000, the outgrowth of the evangelistic work of the Rev.
Colin Anderson, a Methodist circuit preacher, who held services in
that vicinity in the winter of 1861 and '62. His circuit included
the Live Oak and Woodbridge churches. Several years later the Rev.
J. H. Bryant located in the Woodbridge region and he found forty-six
Methodists in that vicinity. After the founding of Mokelumne city
quite a number of Methodists settled in the town, and services were
held in their homes with the Rev. J. W. Bryant as pastor.
The Burning of the Church
In 1870 the Christians of the town
concluded to erect a house of worship. It was planned to erect a
chapel at a cost of $1,500, a Union church in which all
denominations could hold services except the Mormons. Unfortunately
the building caught fire by some unknown means about 2 o'clock in
the morning of February 7, 1878, when nearly completed and was
entirely destroyed. With the characteristic energy that has always
animated the people of Lodi the citizens held a meeting that evening
and resolved to immediately rebuild the church and pay the debt on
the destroyed building amount to $600. Subscriptions were called for
and some $700 subscribed on the spot. The Methodists of the town
having a complete organization, now took up the work and erected a
church on the same lot as the destroyed structure, corner of Oak and
School streets. One of the charter members of the church was George
W. Hill, and in the farewell meeting in the pioneer building
February 20, 1920, he said that they occupied the church for
forty-five years. During that time and later the following pastors
have been in charge: Revs. J. W. Bryant, 1870; E. K. Belknap, '73;
E. P. Walker, '75; Hazen White, '77; Charles Haswell, '79; Thomas B.
Palmer, '82; W. R. Gober, '84; Edward E. Dodge, '85; Seneca Jones,
'86; J. L. Mann, '91; H. Copeland, 1902; Hindson, '04; E. B.
Winning, '07; W. P. Grant, '20; J. H. Troxell, '22; the present
pastor is H. B. Beers.
The Congregational Church
It is on record that the Congregational
Church was organized March 6, 1862, and that "their first services
were held in a barn." Proof of their organization at this time was
given in March, 1912, when they held their Golden anniversary. In
March, 1872, says another account, a Congregational Church of nine
members was formed, with the Rev. O. A. Ross of Lockeford as their
acting pastor. Mrs. Gertie DeForce Cluff said in the Valley Review
in December, 1878, that the church was organized with the following
members: Mrs. Crounch, Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie, Mr. Black, Mr. and
Mrs. Edward Elliott, and Mrs. Collins. The first pastor was Rev. W.
C. Stewart, who rode ten miles to attend services in all kinds of
weather. In 1878 the membership had increased to twenty, the
organization took a new start and the idea of building a church was
determined upon and the following officers elected: Edward Elliott,
Sr., and Charles Elliott, deacons, and Charles Elliott, secretary
and treasurer, with Dr. Johnson, O. Gillespie, Edward Elliott, Sr.,
Thomas Farchilds, Charles Elliott, Allen T. Ayers, and L. S. Morse,
In September of that year the first
Congregational society was organized with Mrs. W. C. Stewart as
president; Mrs. Scott, vice-president; Mrs. Collins, secretary and
treasurer; Mrs. L. M. Morse, Mrs. A. T. Ayers, Mrs. Thomas
Fairchilds, Mrs. Merwin and Mrs. S. P. Sabic, directors.
A lot was obtained on School Street
near Lockeford and a small wooden church erected at a cost, building
and furniture, of $3,200. As the congregation increased in numbers
additions were made to the building. During the pastorate of the
Rev. F. M. Washburn, from 1904-11, the present large structure was
erected. The following are some of the pastors during the past
years: Rev. W. C. Stewart, C. C. Corwin, N. W. Lane, George B.
Allen, John W. Brier, Jr., George H. DeKay, M. Washburn, who
resigned in December, 1911, because of ill health, W. L. Schwimley
and Charles S. Price.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, the oldest and numerically the
strongest religious society in Lodi, has now a membership of
seventy-two. The class-leaders are Mrs. C. W. McMaster and Mrs. Wm.
Moore. C. W. McMaster is superintendent of the Sunday-school, which
averages about eighty pupils in attendance, including teachers, and
300 volumes in library. The church building has already been
referred to. It is located in the south west part of the city, and
the whole property is now valued at $4,000. Besides, there is a
fine parsonage on the lot adjoining that of the church, valued at
$1,000. The pastors have been: Revs. John Bryant, 1870-71, when
the church was built; Belknap, 1873; E. F. Walker, about 1875;
Hazen; White, when the parsonage was built; C.S. Haswell, 1879-'81;
Thomas B. Palmer, 1882-'84; W. R. Gober, 1884; Edward E. Dodge,
1885; and since September, 1886, Seneca Jones. The last mentioned
is a genius and independent thinker, as well as a "scholar and a
gentleman." Without having served an apprenticeship at organ
building, he can construct one as well as any professional artisan,
as is demonstrated in the Lodi church.
The Congregational church building, in the northwestern part of the
village, was erected in 1879-'80, at a cost of $3, 200, including
the furnishings. The ministers have been Revs. W. C. Steward, C. L.
Corwin, N. W. Lane, George B. Allen and J. W. Brier, Jr., the
present pastor. The deacons are W. A. Perkins and C. T. Elliott;
church clerk, T. B. Geoffroy.
Mr. Brier is a native of Michigan, and was about six years of age
when brought to this State by his parents. His father Rev. J. W.
Brier, St., is still living, in good health and discharging the
duties of a pastorate, at the age of seventy-six years, after having
a remarkable career in this State since the early days. A native of
Ohio, he came to California a Methodist minister and co-laborer of
Revs. Isaac Owen ("Father Owen"), M. C. Briggs (who came in 1851)
and S. D. Simonds. He was the leader of the party that discovered
Death Valley in 1849. Entering Antelope Valley near Newhall, he
proceeded to Los Angeles and then by land up to San Jose. Was
stationed at Santa Cruz, Napa, Sonoma, Marysville and San
Francisco. In 1859 he became a Congregationalist. In 1888 he
delivered thirty speeches in the State canvass, traveling about
1,300 miles, and own golden opinions from all classes. He is now
pastor of the Congregational church at Palermo, Butte County, this
Although few in number the
Episcopalians are an enthusiastic body of Christians. Organized
early in the year 1900 they held services in a public hall, and T.
C. Hawley acted as lay reader of the service of worship. Along about
1909 although with only a few hundred dollars in the treasury the
vestrymen began making plans for a chapel and a church home. The
following year they obtained a site for a church, corner of Lee and
Locust streets, and at a cost of $3,000 erected a very pretty
edifice, which was completed in September of that year. For a time
the Rev. D. O. Kelley of San Francisco was the missionary in charge,
conducting the services once a month. The remaining Sundays T. C.
Hawley conducted the services. Rev. John Morgan conducted services
along about 1893 and in 1911 they had a permanent rector, Rev. W. H.
Hawkins, who preached his first sermon May 7 of that year. In 1919
the vestrymen called the Rev. George B. D. Stewart, who had supplied
the pulpit of St. John's Church, Stockton, while the rector was in
France. Rev. Stewart died in 1922.
The Incorporation of Lodi
The incorporation of Lodi as a city of
the sixth class was under discussion as early as 1903, but the
opposition to an incorporation at that time, prevented its
attainment. According to the law governing cities of the sixth class
it was necessary for a majority of the citizens within the limits of
the proposed city to petition the board of supervisors to call an
election for the citizens to vote upon the question of
incorporation. The opposition of the saloon keepers to the movement
naturally increased the desire of the better class of citizens for
incorporation, and in October, 1906, a petition was presented to the
board for supervisors by W. A. Young, Max Elwert, W. A. Spooner and
George M. Steele, petitioning the board to call an election for the
incorporation of the city of Lodi. As there was a large excess of
names the petition was granted and the election called.
The business men were the leaders in
the movement, and as they were desirous of hearing a business man's
opinion upon the question, they sent an invitation to J. R.
Broughton to address them. Mr. Broughton was a banker of Modesto, a
business man and one of the leading movers in the incorporation of
that city twenty years previous. A mass meeting was held in the Lodi
Opera House November 20, 1906. At the conclusion of the address the
business men nominated a ticket comprising a board of five trustees
and other officers. The trustees were to hold office for four years,
two or three, as the case might be, to be elected every two years.
The charter also called for the election of a clerk, treasurer and
marshal. The Business Men's ticket contained the following names for
trustees: George E. Lawrence, A. W. Keeney, J. M. Blodgett, F. O.
Hale, and S. W. Beckman; for clerk, Henry E. Ellis; for treasurer,
W. H. Lorentz, and for marshal, A. B. Krutz. Keeney and Beckman
declined to serve and Leon Villinger and A. C. Rich were appointed.
H. E. Ellis declined the nomination of clerk and J. A. McMahon was
The election was held November 27,
1906, and the incorporation of the city was hotly opposed by the
saloon element. The vote for incorporation was two to one for it.
The church bells rang out their joyous peals over the victory, and
the Stockton Record, congratulating the citizens, said: "When the
church bells of the town are rung in honor of the result of an
election it is safe to presume that it has been no ordinary
political contest. It would be a great thing for Lodi to be able to
print on its stationery as in Riverside and other southern towns:
'No saloons in Lodi.' "
First City Officers
The following officers were elected
together with their vote for trustees: J. M. Blodgett, 350; F. O.
Hale, 362; George E. Lawrence. 290; C. A. Rich, 181; Leon Villinger,
186. For clerk: J. A. McMahon, 269; his opponent, 124. For
treasurer, no opposition, W. H. Lorentz, 391. For marshal, H. B.
Coleman, no opposition, 374. A few evenings after the election the
citizens held a grand ratification meeting in the opera house. The
meeting was addressed by Mayor M. J. Gardner and Judge Wm. B. Nutter
of Stockton and by local speakers. The meeting was enlivened by the
Lodi band and local vocalists. The first meeting of the trustees was
held December 7 in the "new city hall on North Sacramento Street."
They had no money in the treasury, no fixtures, books or papers of
any kind with which to conduct business, and it was suggested that
the trustees dig down in their pockets or hold themselves personally
responsible for books, furniture, etc.
The following is the official roster of
Lodi up to the present time:
Board of trustees―November 27, 1906,
president, George E. Lawrence; J. M. Blodgett, C. A. Rich, F. O.
Hale, Leon Villinger. April 15, 1912, president, George E. Lawrence;
M. J. Blodgett, C. A. Rich, F. O. Hale, C. A. Black. April 20, 1914,
president, F. O. Hale; Max Foldendorf, E. M. Keeney, E. E. Deever,
C. A. Black. April 15, 1918, president, C. A. Black; Joseph D.
Crose, E. M. Keeney. F. O. Hale, John S. Montgomery. April 19, 1920,
president, J. S. Montgomery; Joseph D. Crose, C. A. Rich, F. O.
Hale, A. D. Hickok. April 17, 1922, president, J. W. Shattuck; John
Mettler, Jr., C. A. Rich, F. O. Hale, A. D. Hickok.
Clerk―November 27, '06, J. M. McMahon;
March 9, '14. C. A. Rich; April 20, '14, Harvey S. Clark; February
1, '21, John F. Blakely.
Marshal―April 20, '08, H. B. Coleman;
August 8, '20, R. B. McClure; April 17, '22, F. Christensen.
Assessor―Nov. 27, '06, J. M. McMahon;
March 9, '14, C. A. Rich; April 20, '14, H. S. Clark, Jr.; February
1, '21, John F. Blakely.
Treasurer―April 15, '12, W. H. Lorentz;
April 17, '22, W. H. Lorentz.
Tax Collector―April 20, '08, H. B.
Coleman; April 15, '18, W. H. Lorentz.
The Water Works and City Hall
Lodi was supplied with water by a
corporation as early as 1891 by the Bay City Gas, Water and Electric
Works; G. G. Buckland was the president and J. H. Fish the secretary
with offices on Pine and Sacramento streets. They sold the plant to
the Carey Brothers, who it appears supplied the citizens as did the
Bay City company with water and gas. In November, 1901, the
proposition was discussed by the citizens of having electric lights
in the town. The Carey Brothers took the matter in hand and agreed
to establish a lighting plant in Lodi within two months, and putting
a very low rate, asked for a two year guarantee. The guarantee was
given and the electric lighting plant was installed with a capacity
of 500 lights, sufficient at that time to light the town. The lights
were turned off at midnight.
After the incorporation of the city the
board of trustees, Messrs. Lawrence, Blodgett, Hale, Rich and
Villinger, thought it would be a paying proposition for the city to
own its own water works. They made a proposition to the Carey
Brothers to purchase the plan. They were also running an electric
plant, and asked for the whole thing $55,000. It was certainly some
hold-up, for in the spring of 1919 the trustees obtained the entire
water and power plant for $30,000. The city at the time was bonded
for some $130,000 for the plant, a sewer system, public utilities,
etc. The trustees took out the old second-hand wrought-iron water
pipes used by the old company and put in steel pipes. Then at the
water works they erected on iron stanchions 138 feet in height, a
100,000 gallon steel tank; and with it a first class pumping plant.
This plant more than paid for itself in a few years, and at present
there is a profit sufficient to pay the overhead expenses of the
You remember that when the city was
incorporated the city office was in a building on North Sacramento
Street rented from the county. With the progressive enterprise that
has always been characteristic of the board of trustees they
concluded in 1912 to have a city hall owned by the city and stop
paying rent. They could not agree as to its location, as some of
them wanted to purchase the Gealey lot on North Sacramento Street as
the city hall site. The majority of the trustees voted on placing
the building next to the pumping station on North Main Street. A
two-story brick building was there erected and at a contract price
of $4,500. The building was completed and ready for occupation in
Lodi Fire Department
Lodi's first department was composed of
volunteers with H. E. Welch the first chief engineer. The department
at this time, May, 1911, consisted of two combined chemical and hose
wagons drawn by horses. In November, 1911, there was a
reorganization of the department comprising some eight men, and E.
H. Stark, who had formerly been the fire department chief in Fergus
Falls, Minn., was induced to take the chiefship of the Lodi Fire
Department. Stark divided the city into four sections, the division
lines being Pine Street and the Southern Pacific Railroad track. At
the annual election in May, 1920, E. H. Stark was again elected
chief. L. H. Rinn was elected vice-president; H. E. Welch,
treasurer; Wm. H. Faust, secretary M. R. Channell, first assistant
chief; J. W. Landback, second assistant chief; T. R. Leeck, foreman
of Wide-Awake hose company and M. Roracker assistant; Fred
Spiekerman, foreman of Alert hose company and Henry Gimbell
assistant; John Schaefer, foreman of hook and ladder company and P.
W. Lehman assistant; the chemical engine company has George
Olenberger for foreman and Wm. Schnabel for assistant.
The city trustees in September, 1920,
purchased a Seagrave triple combined fire pump at a cost of $13,000.
It is capable of playing three streams of water and one stream will
deliver 750 gallons of water per minute, and from three 50-foot
lengths of hose a stream of water was thrown from a two-inch nozzle
more than 50 feet in the air and a distance of 200 feet. The machine
was pumping 1050 gallons a minute at the time.
Lodi's first Board of Trade was
organized February 28, 1887, and was known as the Northern San
Joaquin County Board of Trade. The board organized by electing W. C.
Childs president-recording secretary; J. B. Ruffman, corresponding
secretary; T. C. Riggs, treasurer, and C. A. Rich, director, Lodi
district. In 1901, April 9, Lodi's Chamber of Commerce was organized
to develop the resources of northern San Joaquin County; to include
immigration, foster trade and aid and encourage commercial
intercourse throughout the county. The board of directors for the
first year were C. M. Ferdun, W. W. Henderson, F. W. Beckman, Ed.
Hutchings, George Hogan, C. L. Newton, Al. Breitenbucher, A. T.
&well, J. B. Cory, M. Van Gelder and C. P. Garrison. There are now
about 150 members.
The Lodi Press
Lodi's first newspaper, the Valley
Review, was published July 20, 1878, by Mrs. Gertie De Force Cluff.
It was a small seven-column folio, published weekly. Mrs. Cluff
conducted the paper for six years, then sold the plant to Walcott &
Cheney. They sold the paper a year later, 1885, to Bloomer & Moore,
who failed to make good, and it was attached by the sheriff and
In 1885 Mrs. Cluff started an
opposition paper to the Review. It was a five-column eight-page
sheet, and a year later she sold to Howell & Matteson. Hoping to
make the paper a success by changing the name, they called it the
Lodi News. The office was destroyed by fire July 7, 1887, and was
not again republished. A second Valley Review was issued August 16,
1888, by Frank Cluff, who had formerly acted as manager for his
sister's paper, the Cyclone.
The Lodi Sentinel, still in existence,
was first issued July 19, 1881, by W. R. Ellis and J. W. McQuaid.
Both men later sold out and took charge of other county papers.
Frank E. Ellis and his brother, H. F. Ellis, bought the paper in
Lodi today has one of the prettiest and
most convenient post offices in the county, far and away ahead of the
little dark corner it occupied in 1869 when Daniel Crist was the
postmaster. This was a wooden building liable to be destroyed at any
time, and when the Grangers erected their two-story brick building,
northwest corner of Sacramento and Elm Street, Byron Beckwith leased
the corner store and was appointed postmaster. About that time there
was a young man named Robert L. Graham clerking for Beckwith. He
learned the druggist trade and in time bought out the drugstore. The
office of postmaster went with it and in 1881 Mr. Graham was
appointed to the office and was postmaster through two presidential
terms, that of Garfield and Harrison. He might have continued as
postmaster, but the post office department demanded more room, so
fast had the business grown, and the office was removed to Elm
Street near Sacramento, with Harvey S. Clark, Jr., as postmaster.
Clark held the office through 1902-0406-11, and was succeeded
February 9, 1914, by J. M. McMahon. About this time the office was
moved to North Sacramento Street near Locust. McMahon was succeeded
by John Blakely, and he by Claude Keagle. The present acting
postmaster is Emerson E. Herrick, who enjoys the neat new post office
leased by the Government of the City Improvement Company. The
building is a two-story brick structure, 65x85 feet floor space, and
is equipped in accordance with the plans furnished by the
government. This includes a Government-owned cancelling machine,
which is given only to offices handling 3,000 pieces of mail per
day. The office employs five clerks and four city letter carriers,
besides several rural carriers.
Lodi's Progressive Banks
It is of record that a bank was
established in Lodi January 21, 1884, with a capital stock of
$375,000. The officers were Andrew Sink, president; and John Nevin,
manager, The directors and stockholders were C. A. Rick, Augustus
Thiel, Andrew Sink, Samuel Ferdun, John Nevin, W. D. Smith, David
Kettleman, L. O. Gillespie, J. J. Hubbard, E. R. Pease, Dr. S. P.
Hopkins, Dr. C. V. Williamson and E. D. McGreen.
The Bank of Lodi was incorporated June
7, 1888, with a capital stock of $25,000. It was organized by
Ex-Senator Ben F. Langford, one of San Joaquin County's progressive
citizens, with the following stockholders. T. C. Shaw, O. O. Norton,
M. W. Shidy, John B. Cory, E. E. Moran, C. W. Norton, H. B, Backman,
Owen Lacey, George McNoble, Gottleibe Doering, W. D. Sturdevant,
Otto Spenker, Reuben Fixley, W. H. Lorentz, C. Fatheringham, Max
Elwert, J. M. Blodgett, George E. Wilhoit, Ezra Fiske, R. T. Ogden,
J. R. Mitchell, George W. Le :Min, F. W. Beckwith, Charles Sollars,
Clara E. Love, Harriett D. Shaw, Mary E. Sargent, Mary B. Shidy and
The First National Bank was organized
March 1, 1905, with a capital stock of $25,000. Fitting up a neat
bank in a brick building at 14 Pine Street, they were ready for
business September 12. The officers were John B. Cory, president; M.
W. Shidy, vice-president; W. H. Lorentz, cashier; J. P. Shaw,
assistant cashier, and C. W. Norton, attorney. The officers,
together with H. C. Beckman and O. O. Norton, constituted the
directors. The bank immediately became so popular that in May, 1909,
they increased their stock to $80,000. Again it was increased
February, 1911, to $100,000, and in January, 1922, it was increased
to $200,000, with a surplus of $120,000.
On April 9, 1907, the directors of the
First National Bank organized the Central Savings Bank with the same
officers and directors. The stock was $25,000. It was increased to
$80,000 in 1909 and to $100,000, February 10, 1911. In June, 1915,
these two banks were moved into the corner of the Hotel Lodi
building, a handsome three-story pressed brick building erected by
the bank, John E. Cory, who had been president of the bank since its
organization, resigned December 3, 1921, and W. H. Lorentz was
In 1916, May 24, the Farmers &
Merchants Bank was incorporated, capital stock $25,000. The first
officers were Chris Allbright, president; Lot Lund, vice-president;
E. B. Doering, secretary, cashier; H. B. Nelson, treasurer, with
John Mettler, Jr., Gottlieb Doering, H. C. Large and Peter Joens,
directors. Their capital stock in 1923 was increased to $90,000. The
Citizens Bank of Lodi, the fourth bank in the progressive city, was
organized in December, 1921, with the following officers and board
of directors: John B. Cory, president ; Wilson H. Thompson,
vice-president; Frederick Spoerke, cashier; and F. M. Mills, D, D.
Smith, Henry Pope, G. L. Meisener, H. A. Fairbanks, M. V. Bare, John
S. Montgomery, E. H. Humphrey and Burton A. Towne, directors. They
began business in the Beckman Thompson building on School Street
with a capital of $250,000. Shortly after this time they purchased a
lot on the northwest corner of School and Oak Streets and began the
construction of a handsome steel reinforced concrete building, at a
cost complete of $90,000.
The Tokay Carnival
What was the idea of a Tokay grape
carnival ? To show and to advertise to the world the beauty and the
value of the flaming Tokay grape, so named because of its beautiful
coloring when ripe, like a dark red flame of fire. It grows to
perfection in no other section of the land and shipped east in New
York it brings fancy prices. The Lodi section in its earlier history
was known as the watermelon center and in a single month, August,
1881, they shipped twenty-one cars of melons. Later the growers
learned that it was a wonderful grape growing district, and there
was three times the amount of money in grapes. As to the amount
grown and their value, we have only the report of 1920-21. In the
year first named a total of 8071 carloads of grapes were shipped
from the Lodi section. At the same time the dehydrators and wineries
handled approximately 18,000 tons. In 1921 the Lodi district shipped
out 9,133 carloads or 127,962 tons. These are S. C. Beane's figures,
the Stockton freight agent of the Southern Pacific Railroad. Last
year the crop in that section was estimated at $10,000,000 and yet
they lost over $2,000,000 because of the car shortage. This was a
prologue to the Tokay carnival, which was considered as a festival
of far reaching importance. The idea of the carnival was first
thought out by Charles Rey, a business man of Lodi. He interested
Henry F. Ellis of the Lodi Sentinel, Joseph Friedberger, W. W.
Henderson and Frank Christman. The carnival took place in September,
1907, the month when the Tokay grape begins to ripen into beauty. In
commemoration of the event, they erected the Tokay arch, over
spanning Pine Street junction of Sacramento. It is of purely mission
style of architecture and erected at a cost of $500 obtained by
subscription, and is today one of the most attractive features of
the city. The carnival continued for three days, the principal
feature being the parade and the crowning of the Queen, Bertha De
Almado, on the first day. The parade formed with J. W. Dougherty as
grand marshal. Then came the Lodi band, John Bauer leader, preceding
Queen Zinfandel and her pages, Merle Lillie, and Mildred Stannard.
Behind the Queen rode her maids-of-honor in a tally-ho, Minnie
Harney, Nina Wilson, Myrtle McClung, Inez Smith, Tillie Doering,
Florence Snedigar, Gladys Graham and Grace Freeman. Then followed a
float representing a gunboat manned by young ladies, who had been
drilled by Mrs. C. E. Pickering. A second float, that of the
Rebekahs, represented a swan-appearing boat handsomely decorated in
the colors of the order, pink and green. On arrival at the Arch the
Queen was escorted to the throne on the platform by C. M. Ferdun,
who presented the Queen her scepter as Queen of the Carnival. George
E. Lawrence, as chairman of the board of trade, in a short address,
presented her the keys of the city. At that hour the artillery band
from the Presidio, San Francisco, had arrived, and the Coronation
ode was sung by twenty-five young ladies, under the direction of May
Ferrell, accompanied by the band. At this time Governor Gillett and
J. H. Filcher arrived and made a short address. The carnival ended
Saturday with dancing and a confetti battle.
The Lodi Brass Bands
Lodi has always been a musical city and
not lacking in brass or military bands. As early as 1876 a band, was
organized with George E. Lawrence one of the promoters of the
movement. He told at one time how they decided to organize a band
although they did not have an instrument, no music, no director, nor
the money to pay for any of the necessities. Finally they saw an
advertisement in a paper when an eastern company was selling out a
complete set of instruments at a reduced price. With no money on
hand they signed a note, there being eighteen members. Several
philanthropists were found and $300 paid down.
This band, with a strong determination
to succeed, now advertised for a leader, and as it happened, the
Forepaugh circus was wintering on the Pacific coast and the band
leader came to Lodi. His surprise was a terrific one when he found
that not one of the eighteen members had an instrument or knew a
note. He was persuaded to stay and after the arrival of the
instruments they moved out to a little shack south of the city to
practice. At that time, according to Mr. Lawrence, the city was a
little strip along the railroad tracks. South from School Street was
a forest primeval, and to the east an even worse tangle of brush,
while live oak trees literally dotted the "business section."
This band organized in 1876 was a great
success for the next two years, but finally died in 1878. There were
several bands organized during the past years but they were not a
success for some reason. At one time Edward Houseman, Joseph Condy
and Jabez Harris of Stockton were band leaders, John Bauer, a
competent band instructor, located in Lodi in 1897 and organized a
band. He continued his residence in Lodi up to the time of the
Allied war and at that time he had an excellent band of musicians.
The Lodi Prohibition Movement
Never in the history of Lodi has there
been so much interest taken in an election as that of April 14,
1914, over the question of high licensing the saloons. The contest
actually commenced April 4 over the election of a school trustee.
There were two candidates in the running, John H, Davies and Otto
Weihe. No particular interest was taken in the election until about
noon. At that hour a number of the "dry" workers got out their
automobiles and began carrying Davies voters to the polls. Then the
wets became alarmed, thinking that Davies was a dry candidate and,
getting out their automobiles, began working for Weihe. It was a
false alarm, for neither man was interested at the time in the
saloon movement. It gave the wets a good scare and it brought out an
unusually large vote. Weihe, who had formerly been a school trustee,
polled 416 and Davies 270 votes.
It was a hot campaign up to the time of
the election. Meetings were held in public halls and the opera house
which was crowded to hear such speakers as J. Stitt Wilson of
Berkeley, Rev. A. C. Bane, then the president of the Anti-Saloon
League of Northern California, Rev. F. A. Keast and Rev. E. J.
Dennett of Stockton, in favor of high license. The first mayor of
Lodi, then president of the Grape Growers Association, published
letters in the press arguing that a high license was a foolish
ordinance. Another prominent grape grower threatened that if the
business men voted for high license the association would no longer
trade in Lodi. Early in the morning of the 14th the voters were
at the polls, and by noon half of the registered vote had been cast.
Automobiles were everywhere in sight carrying voters to the polls.
Each party had about twenty-five automobiles at work. When the polls
closed it was found that the drys had won by a small margin, 655 to
648. A committee of wets then went to the dry committee of
twenty-five and requested them to let the raising of licenses rest
until after the fall election, as the agitation was hurting
business. They agreed. When the State election came on November 4,
in which there was an amendment to the constitution prohibiting the
sale of all intoxicating liquors, Lodi, in her four precincts,
including Elkhorn and Live Oak, polled a heavy majority against
prohibition, 559 to 337. The women voting for the first time
evidently opposed prohibition, but favored the red light abatement
act, which carried, 462 to 320. We all know what happened, the state
went dry, including Lodi and in the exclamation of the old
Methodist, "Glory to God."
The Women's Improvement Club
Go where you may throughout San Joaquin
County and you will find that in the smaller cities and towns the
women are taking the lead in improving and bettering the conditions
of affairs in their localities. In Lodi the women have made a
splendid success of their work, especially in erecting a splendid
two-story brick club house, the finest in the county. The club was
organized in 1906, the year of the city's incorporation. Its object
was to assist in the progress and betterment of the city along
civic, literary and other lines. The movement as a local
organization was for some reason not a success. Mrs. John S.
Montgomery, who was strongly interested in the movement, suggested
that the club join the State Federation of Clubs. The suggestion
was adopted and in 1908 it joined the Federation of clubs, and was
placed in the Alameda district which included Contra Costa, Solano,
Alameda, Calaveras, Tuolumne and San Joaquin counties. The uniting
with the State body put new life and energy into the club and they
did some fine local work in planting trees along the highway,
inaugurating a clean-up day every year, placing signs upon the
street corners, petitioning the board of trustees to lay cement
sidewalks, and other things that might be mentioned. In order to
raise money to carry out many of their improvements they gave
vaudeville and concert entertainments, gave social teas and dancing
parties, and annually held a Jinx day. By these different plans of
money making in one year they cleared over $1,500. Each member paid
an initiation fee and dues and this money was also devoted to civic
improvements. The club today has nearly 500 members and is in a
flourishing, growing condition. The following ladies have been
elected as presidents: Mrs. Emma Witte Humphreys, Mrs. Belle
Cooledge, Mrs. Dora Clark, Mrs. John S. Montgomery, who was the
first president under the Federated Clubs, Mrs. G. L. Meissner, Mrs.
J. E. Nelson, Mrs, Cecil B. Clancy, Mrs. Harry D. Sharp, Mrs. O. S.
Newman. In 1913 the name was changed to the "Woman's Club of Lodi."
The Woman's Club House
The crowning work of the club is the
erection of a splendid club house 45x100 feet, corner of Pleasant
and Pine street, at a cost of $40,000. Up to this time they had been
assembling in the homes of their members and in public halls, and
the idea of having their own club house was voiced soon after their
uniting with the state clubs, and with that object in view in 1915
the Women's Building Association was incorporated with a capital
stock of $20,000 with shares at $5.00. They soon found that their
capitalization was too small and they then increased the amount to
$50,000. As incorporated the officers were Mrs. John S. Montgomery,
president; Mrs. W. R. Thompson, vice-president; Mrs. Cecil B.
Clancy, secretary; Mrs. C. M. Ferdun, treasurer, and those already
named, with Miss Anna Brack, Mrs. Edward Hutchins, Mrs. Mamie
Jahant, Mrs. A. J. Cook, Mrs. Theodore H. Beckman, and Mrs. Oliver
S. Newman, were directors. Purchasing the lot at a cost of $16,000
at the annual stockholders' meeting and luncheon in the Hotel Lodi,
April, 1922, it was decided to proceed immediately with the building
of the club house. Work was commenced in November and completed in
March, 1923. The building is of the colonial style and is not only
fitted up in every way convenient for club purposes but it contains
a fine auditorium seating over 600 persons and a large banquet hall.
The Carnegie Library
Lodi's first library was established in
1885, the citizens at that time fitting up three rooms in the Heald
building for library purposes. Money was freely subscribed toward
the library fund by Congressman J. A. Louttit, Ben F. Langford, Ross
C. Sargent and many others, and about $1,500 was subscribed. The
record states that the library was formally opened October 24 "with
a concert by the local brass band and vocal and literary exercises."
The library was supported by donations and entertainments, and
February 4, 1887, an entertainment under the direction of Cyrus B.
Newton was given in Barnhart hall for the benefit of the free
reading room. The program comprised a vocal solo by Eva Custer;
recitation, Mary Stevens; instrumental solo, Carrie Ivory; essay,
Wm. B. Piper; recitation, C. B. Newton; cornet solo, George E.
Lawrence; recitation, Nellie Shattuck. Was this library closed?
There is no continuous record of the library until May, 1904. At
that time says the State Library report, a library was established
in a rented building with a rental of ten dollars per month. The
Lodi Public library and free reading room in that year was on
Sacramento Street near Pine, and Harvey S. Clark was the librarian.
Rev. W. P. Grant of the Methodist conference was stationed in Lodi.
Interested in library affairs, he conceived the idea of the library
having its own building and he suggested the Southern Pacific
Railroad Company that they give the citizens the old depot as soon
as their new depot was completed. They agreed, provided the citizens
would remove it from the railroad reservation. A few years later it
was learned that a gentleman living in Lodi was well acquainted with
Andrew Carnegie and his library-giving donations. In every donation
he required that the city trustees or those in charge of the library
movement must first select and have a clear title to the library
site. It was now up to the Women's Improvement Club, and purchasing
a lot at the corner of Pine and Pleasant streets an entertainment
and dance was given June 5, 1909, and the money was used in
completing the payment for the lot for a library. The plans were
drawn for a handsome library to cost $10,000 and the cornerstone was
laid that year, April 17, by the Grand Lodge of Masons, the
cornerstone being laid with appropriate ceremony by W. Franklin
Pierce, grand master. There was singing by the Masonic quartette and
an oration by County Judge C. W. Norton. The library building was
completed early in the following year and opened to the public
February 12, 1910, with Jaison Swallow as the librarian. The Women's
Improvement Club gave an entertainment in the opera house May 6,
1911, for the benefit of the library book fund. Donations of books
were given by many different individuals, the writer gave quite a
number of books, and the public Library of Stockton donated several
The Heroic Dead
In the hallway of the Clyde Needham
memorial school there is set in the wall a large bronze plaque and
upon it is inscribed the following: "In Memory of Clyde Needham." He
was the first young man from the Lodi district to die upon the
French soil, his face to the enemy. Needham, who was twenty-two
years of age when the Allied War broke out, was living with his
grandmother, Mrs. M. F. Fuqua, 316 West Locust Street. After
entering the army he rose to the rank of corporal, and was killed
July 15, 1918, in action in the Champagne offensive. Upon the same
plaque is inscribed the names of twenty-seven boys who made the
supreme sacrifice, namely: James B. Anderson, John G. Anderson,
Harold E. Cary, Joseph Drabkin, August Frey, Ralph Gillespie,
Herbert Howard, Wilbur Hugill, Alexander Linde, George Mauch, Clyde
Needham, James Miller, Virgil Pearce, Charles R, Patten, Wm. C.
Rossi, Arthur J. Setzer, Roy Spencer, Clyde Stamper, Martin Troy,
Henry Trimberger, W. I. Tredway, Arthur Vincent, Charles E. Walther,
Vernon White, Henry Wittmeier, Ora Wynn and Henry Wisthoff. The
solemn impressive ceremony of unveiling the plaque took place
February 22, 1922, in the front of the school building. After the
singing the "Flanders Requiem" by Mrs. Mary McAdam Yerbury, Major W.
A. Mason, Clyde Needham's first commander, briefly related that
terrible battle that began on the Fourth of July and as the Tokay
band played the "Star Spangled Banner," and the large crowd stood
with uncovered heads, the Major slowly drew aloft the flag,
unveiling the plaque.
After many months of anxiety and worry
bedlam broke loose in Lodi, when the news was received about 1
o'clock in the morning of November 11, 1918, that the German army
had surrendered. The fire whistle was blown, the church bells were
rung, and in a short time everybody was on the streets, the
automobilists blowing and tooting their horns. About 4 o'clock the
Eagles' drum corps was upon the street and leading a procession the
happy throng marched over the town, hurrahing, shouting and singing.
During the forenoon hundreds of citizens went to Stockton to the
impromptu celebration of victory. They returned to Lodi and about
three o'clock a procession was formed at the Eagles' Hall on North
Sacramento Street and after marching over the town they halted at
the Tokay arch. At that point a platform had been erected, and a
meeting of jubilee was held, C. C. Woodward was elected to preside.
Then followed a patriotic song by the quartette comprising Wm.
Brown, Floyd Lyon, J. C. Ferguson and Rev. J. W. Schwimley,
patriotic addresses, Hilliard E. Welch and Rev. E. J. Bradner.
In the life of a parent there is no
event more thrilling than the return of the boy from a terrible war,
this case upon the field of France. There were tears of grief when
they marched to the front and tears of joy upon their return, alive,
but many of them crippled in limb and with health destroyed. Such an
event occurred in Lodi June 4, 1919. In preparation for the "home
coming" the streets were beautifully decorated with evergreens and
red and white and blue and that night the town was in a blaze of
color. The celebration began with a parade led by the Tokay band of
over 600 soldiers, marines, Spanish and Foreign Wars veterans under
the command of Maj. W. E. Garrison, Hartford Post, G. A. R., Boys
Scouts, Women's Relief Club, Women's fraternal and religious
societies and over 2,000 children of the public schools. Several
closed cars were in line, each auto with a Golden star upon the door
panel. And in the cars rode Mrs. H. R. Hugo, who lost her boy in
Belgium; Mrs. L. Rossi, whose son died early in the war; Mrs. P. M.
Pearce, her soldier boy dying at Fort Douglas, Arizona, and Mrs. L.
M. Spencer, whose son died on Angel Island. The parade formed at the
Eagles' Hall on Sacramento Street and after marching through the
principal streets they halted at the Tokay arch, and address of
welcome was given the returned soldiers by H. E. Welch and there was
community singing led by the Rev. W. A. Schwimley. The soldiers were
then honored by a barbecue which was held in the Municipal Park.
Suggested Central Valley Books