Stockton Ca Newcomers Services

Newcomers Relocation Services Guide

Welcome to Stockton and it's surrounding areas. All our wonderful places make the Stockton area unique. Here, you can find communities which go with the lifestyle of each newcomer. A large array of living styles include apartments in almost every price range, upscale condos and duplexes, established homes in Tuxedo Park, newer homes in communities that were master-planned, like Brookside and Spanos Park which provide every essentials in one location.


We also have tranquil rural settings and spacious homes located n traditional suburbs. Communities and neighborhoods in the Stockton area may be uniquely diverse, however they share one significant common quality. They have an abundance of recreational, educational and entertainment facilities. The sophisticated, fun metropolitan area of Stockton has all the things people look for in a place to call home.


Area News

Post Office Change Address Form. .

Community Services

California Drivers License / Vehicle Registration . .


There is no formalized residency procedure, only physical presence in California with the intent of making it your home.

Colleges, universities and other institutions have their own residency requirements and procedures.

California State Franchise Tax Board
5353 Mission Center Rd.
San Diego, Ca

Office of Internal Revenue Service
Tax information and assistance

Voter Registration Information -- Who May Register
Any U.S. citizen who will be 18 years of age or older prior to the regular general election can register to vote.

You must have been a resident of the state for 50 days preceding the election. The only exception to the residency requirement is if you are only voting for President.
The cut-off point for voter registration is 29 days before an election. The State of California has a policy of permanent registration, unless you change your name or party, or unless you move.

Where to Register
Pick up a postcard at the County Clerk's office, any fire station, post office or the County Registrar of Voters and return it to the Registrar of Voters.
This is necessary only if change your name, address or party preference.


Drivers License
California law requires that a motorist obtain a driver's license within 10 days from the date residency is established. The license costs $12 and is valid for 4 birthdays. You must take a written test but you can omit the driving (behind the wheel) test if you surrender an out-of-state license.

Call the Department of Motor Vehicles to set an appointment for your drivers license examination -1-800-777-0133.  You may also use this phone number for general questions and information. The DMV website will help with any other questions that you may have.

Motor Vehicle Registration
California law states you must register any out-of-state vehicle within 20 days of permanent residency. Personal property tax is included in your registration fees. The basic fee is based upon 2% of market value and is required annually.

Smog Control
California has a very strict city SMOG CONTROL ordinance. Smog certificates state that your car's pollution control device is working properly. The certificate must be presented to the Department of Motor Vehicles at the time of registration. Vehicles manufactured between 1965 and 1979 generally require the installation of a smog device.

The smog certificates are obtained from State-approved garages or gas stations. The car will be examined for compliance, and if necessary, a smog device will be installed.

Non-Resident Smog Impact Fee
A person registering a vehicle which was last registered outside of California will be required to pay a $300 Non-Resident Vehicle Smog Impact Fee if that vehicle is not labeled as California-certified.

To comply with California's Compulsory Financial Responsibility Law, your automobile insurance must provide at least the following coverage:

For injury to or death of any one person in any accident: $15,000,
For injury to or death of more than one person in any one accident: $30,000,
For property damage caused by any one accident: $5,000.

With court settlements often exceeding the above it is wise to consider a larger amount of liability insurance.

Car Seat Law
Parents must provide federally-approved car seats for children up to 4 years of age or 40 pounds. All cars carrying children in this age group must provide seatbelts. Failure to comply with this law could result in a citation. For further information, call 800-CAR-SEAT.

Seat Belt Law
As of January 1, 1996 it is unlawful for a passenger or driver in a moving vehicle not to have his/hers seatbelt properly fastened. This law includes passengers in the rear seat as well as the front. The fine for not observing this law is $50.00.

Public School Requirements

Enrollment and transfer requirements for all public school students in California are: Birth certificate, Last report card and transcripts from previous school, Proof of immunization for DPT, Polio, Rubella and Measles.

A child must be 5 years of age on or before December 1 to be eligible for kindergarten. Full-time attendance is required for all students between ages 6 and 16, unless specially exempted, and attendance at continuation classes is required for those between 16 and 18 years old.

In California, a Unified District includes both Elementary and High school levels; an Elementary District includes kindergarten and grades one through six or eight; a High School District includes grades nine and above, and may include grades seven and above; a Union High School District includes two or more elementary school districts.

How to Survive a Move - If you're one of more than forty million people in American who will be moving this year, you might believe it's an overwhelming task. Now, there's some help. A book that provides hundreds of entertaining and helpful stories about moving from the experienced "pros" who are everyday public who have lived through a move (many of them more than a dozen times!) and lived to recount their stories. Dissimilar to other books on moving that tell the opinion of only one or maybe two experts, You will find words of insight from people in the hundreds nationwide, both families and singles, who have been through the experience. People by the millions have lived through a movie, and you can too!

Public Officials

United States Senate

United States House Of Representatives

Richard Pombo - 11th District
2495 W. March Lane #104
Stockton, CA 95207
Fax: 209.951.1910

Dennis Cardoza - 18th District
Located in the Historic Hotel Stockton

137 East Weber Ave
Stockton, CA 95302
209.946.0361 or 800.356.6424
Fax: 209.946.0347

California State Senate

Barbara Matthews, (D) Tracy - 17th District
31 E. Channel Street #306
Stockton, CA 95202
916.319.2017 or 209.948.7479 
Fax: 209.465.5058

Greg Aghazarian, (R) Stockton - 26th District
4557 Quail Lakes Drive, Suite C.3
Stockton, CA 95207
916.319.2026 or 209.473.6972
Fax: 209.473.6977

Alan Nakanishi, (R) Lodi - 10th District
218 West Pine Street
Lodi, CA 95241
916.319.2010 or 209.333.5330
Fax: 209.333.5333

Guy Houston, (R) Livermore -15th District
1635.A Chestnut Street
Livermore, CA 94551
916.319.2015 or 925.606.4990
Fax: 925.606.4488 

San Joaquin County Courthouse
222 E. Weber Avenue, 7th Floor
Stockton, CA 95202
Fax: 209.468.3694 

District 1 . Steve Gutierrez, Chairman
District 2 . Dario Marenco, Vice Chairman
District 3 . Victor Mow
District 4 . Jack A. Sieglock
District 5 . Leroy Ornellas

City of Stockton Officials

City Hall
425 N. El Dorado Street
Stockton, CA 95202
Fax: 209.937.7149

Mayor . Edward Chavez
Vice Mayor . Gary Giovanetti

District 1 . Steve Bestolarides
District 2 . Dan Chapman
District 3 . Leslie Martin
District 4 . Clem Lee
District 5 . Gary Giovanetti
District 6 . Rebecca Nabors

Suggested Books on Moving

See also