See Center Street
Main & Center - Northeast corner. 1890's Black's Family Grocery Store -
Operated by Alexander and Houston Black. The family later operated grocery
stores all over the Central Valley including five stores in Stockton. - The
entire 00 block of East Main listed below was demolished in the West End
Redevelopment - Right photo, Main & Center, 1950s
1- 5 E. Main - Stockton Bargain Spot - Demolished
2 E. Main - Harbor In Cafe - Harbor Inn Tavern
4 E. Main - Center Laundry
5. E. Main - Stockton Bargain Spot (1943)
10 E. Main - Sonora Cafe
11 E. Main - New Haven Rooms - Demolished
12 E. Main - Lincoln Rooms - Demolished
13 E. Main - Gustav Spanos Restaurant / New Roma Lunch (1935) - Demolished
15 E. Main - Lily Rooms
16 E. Main - Wayne's Cafe
17 E. Main - The Abby Furnished Rooms - Demolished
21 E. Main - Yankee Doodle Inn / Fair Lunch (1935) - Demolished
23 E. Shoe Repair
24 E. Main - Genova Club - Genova Cafe
24 1/2 E. Main - Genova Rooms / Carlton Rooms - Demolished
25 E. Main - John Phillipson Gunsmith - Demolished
26 E. Main - Busy Bee Cafe / Park Restaurant (1935) - Demolished
28 E. Main - Jury Brothers Saloon
29 1/2 E. Main - New England Hotel (43) / Great Eastern Store General Merchandise (1935) -
30 E. Main - William Kamp General merchandise (1935) - Demolished
31 E. Main - El Rey Billiards & El Rey Card Room
33 E. Main - Strand Theatre - Also known as The Bell - Demolished
34 E. Main - Club Marino Tavern - Demolished
35 E. Main - Black Cat Liquors - Demolished
36 E. Main - Mells Cafe / Valley Cafe - Demolished
37 - Main Drug Company - Demolished
40 E. Main - Main Street Barber Shop
41 E. Main - I'm Inn Tavern / Silvers Loan & jewelry (1935) - Demolished
42 E. Main - Clayton Rooms
44 E. Main - Geno & Charles Men's Clothes / E.L. Marshall Drugs - Demolished
46 E. Main - Thomas Cigar Stand
48 E. Main - Old Peerless Inn & Tavern
E. Main St -
100 Block El Dorado Intersects
See El Dorado Street
The entire 100 block of East Main listed below was demolished in
the West End Redevelopment
109 E. Main - Grand Rooms (50) Demolished
111 E. Main - City Grill (1935) - Demolished
112 E. Main - Karl's Shoe Store (50) - Demolished
113 E. Main Broadway Hotel (50) / Broadway Rooms (1928) - Demolished
114 E. Main - Orpheum Theatre - Demolished
118 E. Main - Aaron's Mens Clothes - Demolished
119 E. Main - 1928 - Jeffrey Brothers Shoes - Bank of
America Main St. Entrance - Demolished
120 E. Main - Quinns Stationary (1928-1950) - Demolished
122 E. Main - Hotel Oakland (50) - Demolished
124 E. Main - Moler Barber College / The original location of Smith
& Lang - Demolished
126 E. Main - Empire Loan & Jewelery - Demolished
127 E. Main - Jeffrey Brothers Shoes (50)
129 E. Main - Hunter Square Loan & Jewelry - Demolished
132 E. Main - The Sterling Women and Children's Clothes The Sterling was a popular clothing store SW corner of Hunter and Main St. from1908-1960's. The store was four
stories and included an elevator. Stockton Savings & Loan Society (Bank of Stockton) occupied this building from 1875 until they built their "skyscraper" on Main & San Joaquin in 1908.
Jones & Hewlett 1860s
. Main & Hunter - Importers and dealers of farm
implements. They sold the celebrated chisel cultivators, hand and horsepower
seed sowers, fanning mills, hay and straw cutters, corn shellers and road
See Hunter Square
See Hunter Street
Main & Hunter - 1868 First National Gold Bank of Stockton - Next to the J.H. Condit and Company clipper and mower business. Also shown is the Perkins
Brothers Grocery business. The First National Gold Bank of Stockton was founded by Henry H. Hewlett in 1872. Hewlett was a founder of the Stockton Savings and Loan
Society in 1867, and owned one-fourth of its capital just one year later. He likewise owned most of the stock in the First National Gold Bank, and was elected cashier
and manager of the bank- Demolished
Main & Hunter
SE corner - Stockton Oddfellows
- The next building is 2
6-28 South Hunter Street - minus the bell tower - SFD Engine Company 2
and Hook & Ladder Company 1. It was erected in 1868 for the joint use of the "Hooks" and "Eurekas" of the Volunteer Department. - Demolished
In the center photo: from 1961, this time looking westerly along Main toward El Dorado. The Sterling is on the left edge. On the north side of Main are Asher Bros. Shoe store at the corner of Main and Hunter and at the other corner at El Dorado the former Holden Drug Store. The building with the windows that look like lower case "m's" is the Penial Chapel. posted
Main Street looking East from The Commercial Savings Bank - From The Terry Gust
132 E. Main & Hunter SW Corner looking south - Stockton Grand Triumphal Arch with bases of twenty feet and a tower on both sides topped with golden eagles.
On the arch itself was the words "1776 E Pluribus Unum 1876". Donated to the city by J.D. Peters - Demolished
173-175 East Main Street
- J. Pilcher Spooner - Photograph Parlor - 1878 / Stockton Trunk Factory - Demolished
192 East Main Street
- 1889 Horse drawn Stockton Street Car heading north on El Dorado from Main Street. Part of the Holden Drug store is on the right.
Main Street Mall - Looking west from Main & Hunter towards El Dorado St - First Federal Building on the left
Main & Hunter looking West - From 1961, looking westerly along Main toward El Dorado. The Sterling is on the left edge. On the north side of Main are Asher Bros. Shoe store at the corner of Main and Hunter and at the other corner at El Dorado the former Holden Drug Store. The building with the windows that look like lower case "m's" is the Penial Chapel.
200 Block of E. Main Street at Hunter
looking East - Left photos, 2013, right photo,1950s - The building on the right at 214 East Main was the Rialto Theatre in
1928 - Through the palm trees you can see part of the American Trust Sign - The second courthouse is on the left - The Rialto Theatre dates back to at least 1922 when a
Robert-Morton organ was installed. It was renovated in 1949, to the plans of architect William Glenn Balch. The Rialto Theatre is still listed in the 1952 Film Daily
Yearbook but not in the 1955 edition. - Demolished for a court house annex
Main & Hunter looking East - Early 1900s
202 E. Main St. Dunlaps Stockton Dry Goods (50) / John Breuner Company (1943)Levy Brothers Department Store. Built in 1921, demolished in 1978 for another government
210 E. Main St. - I.O.O.F Building - 1920s
The 1891 City Directory lists the San Joaquin Valley Bank at 210 E. Main St. - G.B. Clairborne,
President and Charles E. Perkins, Cashier - Demolished. Later
moved to 11 N. Hunter St. and became The Bank of Italy (1917).
Renamed Bank of America in 1930. The upper floors were removed in
the 1940's and a modern facade covered the front
214 E. Main - 1928 - Fox Rialto Theatre with the Fox West Coast Theatre in the background
216 E. Main - Emma's Fountain (1976) / Palace Candy Store / Palace Restaurant (50)
218 E. Main - Jeffery Brothers Shoes (1957-1976)
220 E. Main - Eldridge Building - Yost Brothers Clothing Originally at 24 South Sutter - 210-220 East Main Street - The Rialto Theatre dates back to at least 1922
when a Robert-Morton organ was installed. It was renovated in 1949, to the plans of architect William Glenn Balch. The Rialto Theatre was demolished January 1950 to make
room for a department store addition and latter the Jury assembly room - Courtesy of Mike Whirlow
225 E. Main - Court House
232-240 E. Main St. - Fox California - Built in 1930 on the former T & D Theatre site, a truly ornate mission revival Fox California with its unique tower and
vaudeville Marquee reigned as Stockton’s premier movie palace. The baroque interior boasts of magnificent columns, exquisite chandeliers and extensive ornamentation.
The theatre presented both movie and stage productions. The Fox is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. #1979000540
230 E. Main St.
- Adjacent to the Fox California Theatre - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps. Though it appears to be related, Sanborn maps indicate
that 230 E. Main was never physically connected to the Fox Theater next door. The Stockton City Directories shows the first listing for 230 East Main in 1930, at which
time the Brownbilt Shoe Store was in this building. By 1940, the shop had changed to Adam Biasotti Liquors. In 1945, the City Directory lists the Denver Rooms and Gladys
Hamilton. By 1950, The Mecca restaurant (50) occupied the ground floor of the building and subsequently Cameron's Tavern. Vacant at the time of this photo in 2013
E. Main St - 300 Block San Joaquin Intersects
See San Joaquin Street
300-310 E. Main - Smith & Lang was Stockton, Calif.'s oldest department store, established in 1899 by Alfred B. Lang and John H. Smith.
Alfred B. Lang (b.1874), a founding partner, first worked at the Alexander Chalmers Dry Goods Store where he met another clerk, John H. Smith, with whom
he opened a store at 124 E. Main.
314 E. Main - 1928 - Smith & Lang Building
The company was incorporated in 1910 and six years later John Smith died leaving Alfred Lang President for over thirty-five years. The partners took over the Hale Brothers building at Main and San Joaquin Street (1915) and, in 1939, expanded this structure by an additional 7,700 feet.
In July 1945 Smith & Lang was sold to J. Wesley Hearne, a veteran buyer and merchandise manager in California and New York, and Alfred Lang retired, but Walter Sampson continued as manager and the name "Smith and Lang" was retained by the new owner. In February 1946 C. M. Dicker of Redding bought J W Hearne's interest in Smith & Lang and Dicker became the general manager. By 1950 the company employed 125. On July 22, 1958 Smith & Lang burned to the ground in a fire called the "worst national mercantile fire of 1958." Insurance claims totaled $3,000,000. Plans were soon made to rebuild the store and, on August 25, 1959, it reopened in a building designed by Welton, Beckett and Associates of Los Angeles. In February 1963 Weinstock-Lubin purchased Smith & Lang and the company ceased
313-321 E. Main St
- Bravo & McKeegan (1937-1955)
317 East Main Street -1890 Stockton Street Car - Henderson's Carriage Factory
320 E. Main- Yost Brothers - Center photo, 1921, Terry Gust Collection. Left photo from the Ron Chapman Collection
321-323 E. Main St - Former State Theatre
- The Yosemite Theatre was opened around 1893. It was remodeled by architects Weeks & Day in 1920 and re-named Loew's
State Theatre. Listed in the 1941 & 1943 editions of Film Daily Yearbook as the Fox State Theatre with a seating capacity given as 1,510. In the 1950 & 1952 editions it
is the State Theatre with a slightly reduced seating capacity to 1482 seats. Following the closure in 1954 of the Esquire Theatre, the name was transferred to this
theatre.- Demolished for a parking garage - Also shown is 301-311 E. Main St.
- Stockton Savings & Loan Building, Tom Gleason's Drug Store
and339 E. Main
- Friedburger Jewlers
323 E. Main - Former Second Esquire Theatre / Former State Theatre (1943) - Demolished for a parking garage. In the lower left is
313-321 E. Main St
- Bravo & McKeegan (1937-1955) before they moved to San Joaquin & Weber
Overman's Malted Milk Shop was at 325 E. Main in 1931.
321 E. Main - The parking garage the replaced the beautiful old building above
326 E. Main St. - Yasoo Yani - Greek. If you are searching for the perfect place to indulge in an elegant and upscale dining experience look no
further. Yasoo Yani impresses in every way making it the perfect destination for any special occasion. Stockton's premiere destination for
gourmet cuisine and impeccable service. Yasoo Yani aims to please and succeeds in doing so.. In 1928 Former Eagle Drug Store
327 E. Main St. - Former Union Safe Deposit
- The site was a hotel prior to the construction of the Union Safe Deposit Bank building. By
1930, the Union Safe Deposit Bank shared its building with Shirk's Malted Milk Shop and Brooks Clothing Company. In 1935, the bank was the
sole occupant, but by 1940 shared the space with Tom Gleason's Drug Store
. In 1945, the Stockton City Directory lists H . W. Cassidy
Luggage and Maurice's Shoes along with the bank. In 1950, the Fowler shoe store was noted as vacant, but the luggage store remained. The
building is currently vacant. The Union Safe Deposit Bank was founded in Stockton, California, United States in April 1897. It was purchased
in 2004 by the Bank of the West, and all its branches were converted to Bank of
the West on January 24, 2005
1928 - 333 East Main - Union Safe
330-332 E. Main - Dunne Shoe Company 1928 Directory
333 E. Main St
- Brooks Clothing Company (1935)
336 E. Main
336 E. Main St - J.F. Donovan Women's Clothes / Bert Edises Jewelers / 1955-
337 E. Main - The Yosemite House / 1928 City Drug Co.
was thought to be Stockton's finest hotel before 1900 with 200 rooms. It had several horse drawn ommni
buses to take guests to and from the railroad depot. The dining room seated 110 people. it later became a rooming house and burned down in the early 1920s. At the time
it was erected one of the best in the state. The building, had a frontage of 102 feet on Main Street, with two wings having having a depth of 60 feet and a central depth
of 100 feet. It was completed in July, 1869, by Hodgkins & Hall, at a cost of $40,000. The first story contained a reading room and office, together with a barber shop
and bathrooms, a saloon, kitchen and dining-room capable of seating at party tables 110 persons. The second floor comprised a public parlor and ten private parlors or
suites of rooms with oak,rosewood and walnut furniture, marble washbowls and Brussels carpets. The sleeping rooms were all well-ventilated and were equipped with gas;
running water and call bells. Speaking tubes in each hallway communicated with the main office. The bedrooms at the time commanded an extensive view of the city and
county. The hotel was formally opened July 5, 1869, by Alexander McBean.
337 E. Main - Gallencamp Shoes (1940-1943) -
339 E. Main - Friedburger Jewlers (1943)
337 E. Main (2105)
340-348 E. Main St.
Shown above - Main Street Mini Mart - 1928, The Wonder - Being remodeled for a school
348 - Samuel Author Cigars
300 Block of E Main looking West - Stockton Collegiate International School / 1930s showing Gensler Lee, the Wonder, Donovans
343 E. Main St & Sutter - 1892
Commercial Savings Bank, 343 E. Main St
343 E. Main St - Commercial & Savings Bank - A Beaux Arts-Renaissance Revival style building constructed in 1915 by Dietrich & Liestern Construction who
built it for Commercial & Savings Bank. The building suffered from substantial damage by fire in 1923. it was subsequently repaired and it's size was doubled at the
Sutter Street side. The 1928 Directory Shows Bank of Italy Building. Subsequent owners were Bank of America, while later it was acquired by the Grupe Company. The
building is number 80000849 of the National Historic Places Register added November 25, 1980. The City of Stockton added the building to their city register on May 13,
1985 by resolution No. 85-0306 The building is currently home of the Cort Companies.
E. Main St - 400 Block Sutter Intersects
See Sutter Street
E. Main St. and 26 N Sutter - Empire Theatre -
Today, a parking lot
Main & Sutter
- Wells Fargo and Co. Express Banking House and T. Robinson Bours and Co., built 1853. Taken 1860
400 E. Main - Lerner Shops - Demolished - Middle photo by Ron Chapman, left photo by Rhondda Nunes
401 E. Main St - Rodgers Jewelery
400 Block E. Main St.
- 1937 - 400 Block Looking west - State theatre in the next block on right
400 Block East Main South Side - entire block demolished for the American Savings building
American Savings Building 400 E. Main Street
400 Block E. Main St.
- American Savings Block - Left photo Floyd Perry Jr.
420 E. Main St - Anita Shoes - Demolished
418 E. Main - Woolworth Building
414-422 E. Main St. - A 1918 photo of a new franchise operation which opened in 1914 the F.W. Woolworth
-. Local business began feeling competition from these new upstarts which also included J.C. Penny and Owl Drugs. (sounds familiar)
Woolworths closed the Stockton location in 1974. It was demolished the following year and replaced by a parking lot. The neighboring Lerners Building was demolished in
1981 to expand the parking lot. In 1987, the rest of the buildings were demolished and replaced by American Savings. (Later acquired by Washington Mutual then Chase
424 E. Main St. - American Optical - Demolished - Wolf Building,
400 Block E. Main St. - American Savings Plaza
Ritz Theatre - 426 E. Main Street
Ritz Theatre - 426 E. Main Street
426 E. Main St. - Ritz Theater - The Ritz Theater opened in 1937. The Ritz Theater was still listed in 1955 with 926 seats. - Photos courtesy of Floyd
Perry Jr., photo courtesy of Denise Armstrong - Demolished for the American Savings Building. A&W was here from 1976-1987
432 E. Main St. - Pesce Jewelers (1928) / Silver's Jewelers - Demolished
432 1/2 E. Main St. - Orange Juius - (1935) - Demolished
434 E Main & California
SW Corner - Dr Layne / Sierra Lunch - 1949 - Moss Stores Women's Clothes, See's Candies - The American Savings building wiped out the
entire 400 block on the South side of the street
440 E. Main St.
- Simon Jewelery / Chandler's Shoes
442 1/2 E. Main St.
- See's Candies
444 E. Main St.
- Pecks Jewelery
446 E. Main St.
- The Nugget Restaurant
448 E. Main St.
- Marc's Jeweler's
Kress Building - 409 E. Main Street
Kress Building - 409 E. Main Street
409-411 E. Main St. - Kress Building - Shown above - It is one of the few buildings constructed in Stockton during the Depression. S. H. Kress & Co. sold
notions and occupied this location through at least 1950. The building has since been converted into multiple shops and is called the Main Street Plaza.
B of A
Building # 409 - Safeway Stores office (1943)
405 East Main Street - Manx Hotel
415 East Main Street - Pacific States Savings and Loan
415 E. Main St
- Pacific States Savings and Loan / Leeds Shoes / Tuly's - 1920s - Postcard courtesy of Terry Gust
417 E. Main St.
- Gold Star Beauty Supply / Disco Azteca / National Dollar Stores / Nathon Dohrman House Furnishings (1935)
431 E. Main Street
425-431 E. Main St. Commercial Hotel Built in 1874 by George F. Smith at a cost between $25,000 to $30,000. It was two stories
high, and 90 by 75 feet in dimensions. In 1878, a third story was added at a cost of $5,000, improving the appearance of the building. The hotel was leased and managed by F.C. Hahn in 1875. The hotel contained
sixty-one rooms and was entirely refurnished and re carpeted in 1878.
Early photographs indicate the building has been remodeled. This is one of the older buildings in downtown Stockton . The 1912 Stockton City Directory listed this
building as the Commercial Hotel
, a title it retains still. By 1930, Millers Bootery
occupied a store on the
ground floor. Charles Haas and Sons, Jewelers
, had a store here by 1930 and through 1950. Suntag Drug Stores took over the Bootery by 1940,
and occupied the space until at least 1950. Once Called McAlister Hotel -
425 E. Main St. -
Charles Haas & Son Jewelers
425 E. Main - Reeves Shoes
427 E. Main St.- Karl's Shoe Store
RestaurantE. Main St - 500 Block California Intersects
See California Street
500 Block of East Main looking east after being PhotoShopped from a dark blob. I thought it was rather artistic considering the photo began with shooting direct into the
sun and came from the camera nearly black
500 E. Main at California - Stockton Dry Goods in the 20s before they moved to 601 E. Main - Later it was Penny's - See below / Katten & Marengo (1957) -
“Constructed in 1882 this building reveals a Classic Revival architecture. The three story building was once the Avon Theater with a seating capacity of 1,200 and
reportedly excellent acoustics. The seats were arranged in an amphitheater format with a gallery on the third floor. Businesses were housed on the first floor. In the
1890s, with the opening of other local theaters, the Avon ‘s popularity declined. At one time it was converted to J.C. Penney, then later a Mode O’Day and Katten
Marengo Department Stores. Recently renovated with a new façade, the current ground floor tenant is the San Joaquin County Treasurer/Tax Collector . Built
prior to 1895, it is one of Stockton’s oldest downtown buildings.“
J.C. Penny - Sutter Street
540 East Main at American - Stockton Dry Goods
500 E. Main St. - At California - 1940s - Penny's, Sierra Theatre, Bergs / Bailey, Badgley & Company Hardware Formerly the Avon Theatre -
By 1935, J.C. Penny until 1950 - It was originally known as the Avon Theater. It once has a seating capacity of 1200 and reportedly excellent acoustics. The
seats were arranged in an amphitheater format. The entrance. was located on California Street and the theater occupied the second and third floors, while businesses
were housed on the first floor. Historic photos reveal a Classical Revival building, with a row of small pediments on the cornice line, arched hooded windows,. an
pilasters. A small temple' like structure was located at the corner above the projecting cornice. In the 1890s, with the opening of other local theaters, the Avon's
At one time it was converted into a J. C. Penney Store, and later a Mode O'Day Department store
. The 1895 map notes this three story building as the Avon Theater,
with a gallery on the. third floor. By 1917, it was no longer noted as a theater. Stockton City Directories, unfortunately, show no listing for this building until 1930,
at. which point it was F & W. Grand Inc. By 1935, it had been converted into a J. C.· Penny Co. store, and remained as such through at/east 1950. The facade has been
removed to expose the brick and plaster walls underneath. Built prior to 1895, it is one of Stockton's oldest downtown buildings.
501 E. Main St. - This building was constructed in 1917 as the Owl Rexal Drug Store
. The exterior of the building was painted orange as was typical of the Owl
stores. At the time of construction it was thought that a drug store .would give new importance to the downtown area. Drug stores of the time typically had a
soda fountain in the store. The Owl Drug Store was one of the first chain states to engage in retail business in the Stockton area. The drug store closed in
1959. The building has since been used for small businesses. Today it's the Skyy Lounge
In 1946, United-Rexall Drug Inc. purchased the Renfro chain in Texas. It also launched the Owl Superstores chain. In 1947, the company held a gala opening for their
new headquarters and first store in Los Angeles, California. The new Hollywood Owl was reported in Life Magazine as 'the World's Biggest Drugstore'. In 1958, the Rexall
Drug Company was the largest U.S. drug store franchise, with 11,158 stores (for comparison, there are fewer than 12,000 McDonald's restaurants in the U.S. today). Time
Magazine noted that 2/3 of its stores were in areas where 1/3 of the population lived. However, this comprised more than 20% of all drug stores in the United States.
503 E. Main Street - Stetson Hats - 1900s
509 E. Main St.
- Roberts Mexican Food / Mr. Smorgey / Singer Sewing Machine Co.
511 E. Main St.
- 1928 Maryland Rooms
515 E. Main St.
- 1928 Sherman Clay / Dotty Dean
517 E. Main St. - Cassidy's Luggage Shop / Meads Red Cherry Bakers -
523 E. Main St. - Pecklers Shoe Store
525 - Buzz Psychedellic and Smoke Shop / Former Curtain Shop - Ruhl Building
527 - Seymour's Jewelery - Ruhl Building
531 - Eagles Club
517-529 E. Main St. - Ruhl Building - Constructed in 1903, this building was funded by F.A. Ruhl, a local business person. Centered on the street facing façade is
a gable shaped parapet with the words ’1903 RUHL BLDG.’ The building replaced the Ruhl Stove and Hardware Store that existed on the site since 1897. The construction of
this building was funded by F. A. Ruhl, a local business person. The building replaced the Ruhl Stove and Hardware Store that existed on the site since 1897. Originally,
the upper floors were used by the Druids, a men's club, as a meeting hall, while the lower floors were used by the Stockton paint Company, a clothing store,
and a retail grocery store. Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps, with shops along the street and space noted as lodge hall in the rear. According to Stockton
City Directories, by 1930, the Druids Hall, Eagles Club, several union offices, Winter Garden dance studio, (517) a luggage shop, beauty shop, (523) Peckler & Giovanessi
Shoes, and (517) Mead's Red Cherry Bakers and Restaurant were all located here. By 1935, Mead's had been replaced by Vourakis ·& Sherfey Restaurant, and
the beauty shop by a millinery company. By 1940, Dill's Cafe was located here, and a women's clothier also occupied retail space, along with the former tenants.
There was little change through 1950, with the exception of the Church of Divine Light occupying part of the upper floors, and a fabric store replacing the luggage shop.
523 - Peckler's Shoe Store - Ruhl Building
525 - Buzz Psychedellic and Smoke Shop / Former Curtain Shop - Ruhl Building
527 - Seymour's Jewelery - Ruhl Building
1940s Main & California, Sierra Theatre, Pennys, Bergs
520-522-526 E. Main S. - Next to Penny's - The Sierra Theatre
was operating prior to 1941, and continued until closing in 1953. It was operated by Blumenfeld
Theatres chain which also erected the Esquire - 650 seats. After the Sierra closed its doors, it was remodeled into Ardens
(522) (a women's clothing store, and
Pecklers Shoes (1928) / then Roe's Shoes). (520), The Sierra Theatre building is still standing today as Solorio's Furniture Store and Solorio's Jewelers.
528-532 E. Main St.
- This building's construction was funded by John Quinn, a local businessman. The site was originally used as Mr. Quinn's wallpaper and paint
business. He tore down the original building on the site, moved the business across the street and constructed the present structure. Used as a residence and apartment
complex, the building was first called the Quinn Apartments
and then the Quinn House. Later it was named the Queen Rooms.
In the 1920s it was known as the Antler Hotel, and remained so until the 1960s. The first floor was used for a variety of businesses, including a clothing store, Reimans
camera store, Martins Jewelers, and Sherman's thrift store. Left photo by Roy Perez, Right photo by Mike Reiman
528 E. Main - Reimans Camera Shop
530 E. Main St.
- Martin's Jewelers
532 E. Main St.
- 1928 Antler Hotel
534 E. Main - Federal Outfitting Company - 1935
531 - Druids Hall / Eagles Club
536 E. Main St. - San Francisco Floral
547 E. Main St. - 1928 - Stockton Paint Company
E. Main St - 600 Block American Intersects
624 E. Main St. - Officer Club (1959)
630 E. Main St. - Ross & Hill TV
600 E. Main Street - SF Floral - Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
600-608 East Main Street - Southeast Corner Of Main & American Streets today. Former ROSENTHALS (SF Floral before that) - Hard to believe it's the same building. Awnings
removed, colors toned down from previous photo - Now San Joaquin County Environmental Health Center - By 1912, H. L Laska, a tailor, had a shop here. By 1935, H. U.
Okamoto had an art goods shop in this building. By 1945, R. L DuBois, women's clothier, was at this address. The large retail space is currently used by the St. Vincent
de Paul Thrift Store. The building appears to have been constructed c. 1912. This building has been heavily altered, impairing its individual integrity, - 1928 Stockton
606 E. Main St. - The Toy House (1957)
608-616 E. Main St. - Breuner's Appliance (1958)
601-611 E. Main St.
Breuners when they were downtown - This was the former Stockton Dry goods building right in the heart of Stockton during the 1930s - By 1945
through at least 1960, John Bruener Co., a furniture store, occupied the building
601 E. Main Street - Breuners Building
601-611 E. Main St. at American Street - This building was constructed as a downtown store and warehouse for a clothing company. The 1930 Stockton City Directory
listed the Stockton Drygoods Company department store in this building. By 1935, Stockton Drygoods was joined by Abrams Radios, H. E. Norton Beauty Shop, a milliner, and
M. Wolochow Sewing Machines. By 1940, only Stockton Drygoods was listed. By 1945 through at least 1960, John Bruener Co, a furniture store, occupied the building.
617 E. Main - Breuner's Parking Lot / Pete's Parking Lot (1958)
601-611 E. Main St. - Stockton Dry Goods - 1930s-1943 - Lots to see here - K&M in the background - Billboards - "Morton Salt" and "I'd walk a
mile for a Camel" - La Verta Hotel sign in the foreground - Notice thy were promoting locally owned and controlled. - Stockton Dry Goods started at Main and California
in 1914 - They opened this building new in 1921. It has 65,000 square feet of space on 5 stories plus basement and a mezzanine adding up to 7 floors in all. Owned by A.B
Cohn and managed by K.H. Harvey - Photos by Floyd Perry Jr.
630 E. Main St
. La Estrella Building - Former Ross & Hill TV (66)
634 E. Main St.
- 1987 N. SWEET & SONS FURNITURE store between Rosenthal's Clothing (now San Joaquin EnvironmentalHealth Dept.) and the Hotel Bronx (now
Main Street Manor). - Photo Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.
640-648 E. Main St. - Former Bronx Hotel - Now Almond View Apartments - The 1912, Stockton City Directories list this building as the Hotel Bronx. By 1930, the
Golden Rule Food Store occupied a ground floor By 1945, City Directories listed the grocery as W. G. Walton's. The Hotel Bronx continued service into the 1970s.
The building has recently been remodeled, but only the first floor shows any significant change since the structure was last surveyed in the 1970s
648 E. Main St. - Golden Rule Food Store. / W.G. Dalton Grocery (50)
Also at location were:
637 E. Main St. - Hobby Craft Shop (1967)
641 E. Main St. - Bamboo Fountain / Fresh Maid Dairy (1950) This building first appears in Stockton City Directories in 1917 as the La Verta Hotel. The La Verta
is listed in City Directories through 1950. By 1930, the City Directory listed the Art Barber Shop and McMurray Brothers in the ground floor retail spaces. The 1935
Directory shows that W. G. Cuthbert Photography had moved into a formerly vacant space. In 1940, all the retail spaces were noted as vacant, though the La Verta remained. By 1945, J. H. Lucas Photographer and A B. Reynolds, barber, had businesses here. The
1950 Directory listed the Comarr's Men's Shop and Fresh Maid Dairy Lunch in the La Verta Hotel. Built in 1913.
643 E. Main St. - Six Forty Three Club
645 E. Main St.
-Stanislaus Apartments - The building also has a 9-11 N. Stanislaus Street address. The 1917 City Directory listed the Stanislaus address as the Lester Apartments. By 1930 the name had
changed to the Dudley Apartments, and Gnekows Plumbing and Electric occupied a space on the Main. Street side.By 1935, the plumber had relocated, and F. G. Cowan's
restaurant had opened in the building. By 1940, the apartments were listed as Mrs. M. V, Mitchell's furnished rooms, and Marengo Liquors replaced the restaurant. By 1945
and through at/east 1950, the building was known as the Alta Apartments, and Fred Oat Porto's restaurant was located on the Main Street Side. The building is now known
as the Stanislaus Apartments.
645 E. Main St.
- Solari's Tavern (67) / Valhalla Tavern (1960) / Fred Dal Porto Restaurant (1950)
E. Main St - 700 Block Stanislaus Intersects
701-705 E. Main St. at Stanislaus - Gnekow Building. The building also has addresses at 2-10 North Stanislaus. Cedar's Fountain - Ventura Hotel - This building is
present on the 1895, 1917, and 1950 Sanborn Maps. By 1950, the map shows that an original projecting bay at the corner had been removed. The building has addresses on
East Main and at 2-10 North Stanislaus. By 1925, the building was listed as the Ventura Rooms, and remained so through 1935. By 1930, the Busy Bee Market occupied a
ground floor space, but its space was vacant by 1935. By 1940, individual residents were listed instead of the Ventura Rooms, and the Singer Sewing Machine Co. was
listed in one other commercial spaces. By 1945, a billiards hall and cleaners were located here. The 1950 City Directory shows that the billiard hall was replaced by the
Richmain Fountain Lunch.
701 E. Main St. - Cedar's Fountain / Richmaid Fountain Lunch (1950) / Singer Sewing Machine (1943)
705 E. Main St. - Best Cleaners / Lena's Inn (1967)
709 E. Main St.
- New York Cleaners (1967)
711 E. Main St.
- Chuck's Inn (1950-76)
713 E. Main - Hackett Hartsock Studio Photographers (1943)
715 E. Main St.
- Harvard Book Store / W.E. Rice Books (1950) / H.T. Boldt
700 E. Main St.
- Mint Card Room / Mint Social Club (60) / Stockton Bible House (1950) / Harry Goon Meats (1943)
702-710 E. Main St. - Levy Building - This building was constructed in the early 1900s for a Stockton clothing dealer, Max Levy. The first floor of the building was
utilized for retail space while the second floor served as a rooming house. Through the years the building has been used by various businesses, including a cafe, bible
shop, and furniture store. Since the mid 1940s the building has been used as a retail paint store. The upper floors have housed the St. George and Burke Rooms
706 E. Main St. - M.P. Paint Company
710 E. Main St. - Morgan's Fabrics (1967) /
(1959-60) / White Plains BBQ (1950)
712 E. Main St. - Burke Rooms.
720 E. Main - Ace Parking Lot
721 E. Main St.
- Seven Twenty One Club
723 1/2 E. Main St.
- Mow Barber Shop / Jimmie's Cafe (60) / R.E.
Prothers Cigars (50)
Hotel Earle / Sutter Hotel / Hotel Milner
725 E. Main - Earle Hotel
725-741 E. Main St.
- This building was originally called the Sutter Hotel. In the 1940s it became known as. the Hotel Milner (1960) and then in by 1967 the Hotel
Earle. The ground floor has had various business since the building was constructed, including clothing stores, tailors, a shoe shine shop, a cigar store, a liquor
store, Gorham Bicycle Schwinn Bicycle Shop, a gift shop, and a book store. The building burned beyond repair on June 4, 2014.
737 E. Main St. - New Shanghi Cafe (1950)
739 E. Main St.
- Main Street Bicycle / Stockton Bicycle / Bacigulalupi Bicycles (1950)
741 E. Main St.
- Gunderson Electronics / C.D. Mallory Toys (50) / LW. La Veau Barber (1943)
743 E. Main St.
- Cecil's Safe, Lock & Key (1960s)
745 E. Main St.
- Davis Piano workshop - This building is recorded on the 1950 Sanborn map, but not the 1895 or 1917 maps. Stockton City Directories, however,
show no listing for this building at either the East Main or North Grant addresses. There is a sign on the building at 745 E. Main announcing it as Davis Piano Workshop
(now apparently vacant), and the same words are also painted on the cornice line around the comer of the building.
747 E. Main - Stockton Cash Register Company (1960)
730 E. Main St - Louie's Market
- The original sign that was on the El Dorado restaurant. Golden Gate began as a Chinese & American Restaurant. Later they added
Vietnamese and eliminated American in the late 1980's. In the 1990's, it became Mexican Food as Golden Gate Taqueria. Today, it's Louie's Market. / Rosemar TV
732 E. Main
- County Personnel Department (1960) / County Welfare Department (1957) / Patrician Studios (1950)
734 E. Main - Golden Gate Grill (1967) / Lincoln Market (1950)
738 E. Main St. - Nutralite / Rosemar TV (1967) / J.W. Warnke Printer (1950)
740 E. Main St. - Midway Barber Shop (1967)
742 E. Main - Cecil Bowser Reloading & Ammo Shop (1967)
744 E. Main - Betty's Dance Studio (1960) / Eiller's Dancing Studio (1957) / Granada
Social Club (1950)
746 E. Main - Downing Paint Company (1967) / J.W. Brotherton Restaurant (1950)
E. Main St -
800 Block Grant Intersects
800 E. Main St
- Yellow Cab Service area - & Hertz Rent A Car - SPD Archives photo - Loomis Armored Car Service (1960) / Main Street Garage & Union Cab
(1950) / A.W. Goodfellow Garage (1943)
803 E. Main - A.O. Peterson Grocer
820 East Main Street
820-832 E. Main St. - The 1925 Stockton City Directory lists Mr. Frank Belmore Pet Shop at 828 E. Main Street. By 1930, Charles Pike Furniture, Thomas Browne Gas
Engines, and the California Pet Shop / 828 E. Main - Belmore Pet Shop (50) were all listed at this address. By 1935, M. Hoffman & Son Furniture replaced Pike's, and by
1940 the furniture store was replaced by an office of the State Relief Administration. By 1945, a U.S.O. Club and L. R. Meier Signs were located here, and in 1950, the
Directory listed Samuel Newstadt Furniture, Meier Signs, Phillips Signs.
820 E. Main - Former Herb's Surplus
825 E. Main St.
- Albertos / Former L&M Cafe (66) / Jack's Lunch (43) Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Sanborn maps, and the 1917 Stockton City Directory lists
a business owned by Thomas Richards at this address. By 1930, the Quick Lunch restaurant was located here. The restaurant changed hands frequently. In 1935, City
Directories listed it as W. T. Collins' restaurant, and in 1940 as Nadine Sutton's. By 1945, the restaurant was owned by Joshua Kurpiel, and by 1950 by Fred Kim Restaurant (50). It appears that the
second floor was residential, but there were no listings for this building other than the restaurants in City Directories
831 E. Main - Washburn Realty (1960) / Central Valley Kirby Vacuums (50)
826 E. Main St.
- Former Cushman Motor Works
836 E. Main St.
- Former Savio Bicycle Supply
840 E. Main St.
- Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn Maps. There is, however, no listing in Stockton City Directories for this building until 1950,
when the Bridgo Lodge, described as "amusements," was located on the South Aurora side of the building. Left photo - Floyd Perry Jr. at the start of a fun day.
E. Main St - 900 Block Aurora Intersects
Main and Aurora Streets looking West
901-915 E. Main St. - Former Hotel Granada - demolished - The building appears on the 1950 Sanborn map, but not on the 1917 map. The Stockton City Directory for
1925 lists this building as the Hotel Granada. The 1930 Directory listed the Du Bois Cigar Store, Service Pharmacy and Colonial Restaurant as businesses at the ground
floor storefronts. In 1935, all businesses were listed as vacant except the hotel, but by 1940, Carmen Delorenzo's restaurant, Samuel Pointer Shoe Shiner, W. L. Pope
Barber, and George Kerkens' restaurant had opened here. By 1945, businesses included the Aurora Cigar Store, H. C. Gorton Shoe Shiner, and the Kerkens Restaurant. In 1950, the Directory listed the Aurora Cigar Store, Aurora Cafe,
L & L Barber Shop and M. W. Dotson, clothing cleaner.
901 E. Main - Aurora Cigar Store (57)
905 E. Main - Aurora Cafe (57)
907 E. Main - Main Barber Shop (57)
909 E. Main - Hotel Granada (57)
911 E. Main - Don's Watch Repair (1957) / Simpkin Transfer (1916)
915 E. Main - Main Cafe (57) / George Kirkins Restaurant (50)
902 E. Main - Central Cal Grocery
904 E. Main St
Bay Alarm offices - Formerly The
Imperial Hotel - Appearing on the 1917 and 1950 Stockton Sanborn ·Maps and was once the four-story
Imperial Hotel, built in 1896. The elaborate hotel had a tower, dormers, and balconies. The building was designed by Charles Beasley, a well-know architect in the area.
It was a very prestigious establishment, hosting all of the officials and celebrities who stayed in Stockton. The hotel boasted of its hot and cold running water,
electric bells. to communicate with the front desk, an electric elevator and an elaborate fire alarm system. The hotel was a huge success until the Hotel Stockton
opened in 1910, which offered a more convenient location to the busy shipping channels and Stockton's. downtown. Having lost. the upper three floors in a fire in about
1920, the building maintains little of its original architectural style and grandeur. The remaining ground floor has recently been converted into offices and monitoring
facilities for Bay Alarm.
922 E. Main - Hannan House Furnished Rooms (50)
926-928 E. Main St. -New Depot Hotel (43) - Demolished Appearing on the 1950 Sanborn maps, but not on the 1917. The 1950 map reads "'Olympic Inn» and the
building Is noted as having electric lights and steam heat. The train station and railroad tracks were located in the rear of the building . The 1912 Stockton City
Directory lists an earlier building on this site as the Sherman House. No reference is made to this building again until1980, when the Directory noted this address as
the New Depot Hotel. By 1950, it was listed as the New Depot Apartments. Demolished
00 Block West Main Street 00 Center
Yet Bun Heong Bakery - 00 Block of East Main
6 W. Main St. - Filipino Center Plaza & Yet Bun Heung Bakery
All Demolished in the West End Redevelopment:
11 W. Main - Flecks Clothing Store
14 W. Main - Bernard Natali Soft Drinks
15 W. Main - Ito T Restaurant
23 W. Main - Sunset Hotel
18-24 W. Main - C.G. Gall Wholesale Grocery
19 W. Main - Manual Souzo Soft Drinks
24 W. Main - Mi Ranchito Cafe (1959)
26 W. Main - Auga Calienta Cafe Tavern
29 W. Main - Estrallita Cafe Tavern / High lee Laundry (1935)
30 W. Main - Lafayette Hotel
40 W. Main - Lincoln Bakery
44 W. Main - Busch & Bremmer Soft Drinks (1935)
45 W. Main - Main Street Apartments
46 W. Main - Golden West Hotel
48 W. Main - Golden West Tavern / Santini Matteo Soft Drinks (1935)
W. Main St - 100 Block Commerce Intersects
100 Block Main and Commerce - Colombo Hotel - 1890s - Photo posted by Kevin Shawver
100 Block Main & Commerce
- Globe Iron Works
122 W. Main - Hotel Central
124 W. Main - Hotel Central Tavern
W. Main St - 200 Block Madison Intersects
202 - W. Main Street - Hotel Torino / Trogilia & Barri Soft Drinks (1935)
273-275 W. Main St. The 1893 City Directory lists 273-275 Main as the address for John T. Hickinbotham, importer of Carriage and Wagon materials. It must have
been W. Main as E. Main is where the Courthouse stands.
W. Main St - 300 Block Monroe Intersects
336 W. Main - Sun Drop Bottling Company
W. Main St -
400 Block Van Buren Intersects
419 W. Main - Maffei Beverage Bottling Company (1950), Star Beverage Company
448 W. Main - Star Lumber Company (1950)
1810 W. Main - East Bay Municipal Utility District (1950) (1943)