El Dorado and Lafayette looking North, 1950s



Disclaimer! This is a Hobby Page. Our practice is limited to Residential Real Estate

This page runs from the 00 block of S. El Dorado Street to the very south at Clayton Avenue - where Google maps show it becomes McKinley. Downtown Stockton may be found on these pages.

Click here for North El Dorado Street

South El Dorado - From 00 S. Main St.

6 S. El Dorado, San Joaquin 1st Federal Building - Click to Enlarge
6 S. El Dorado, San Joaquin 1st Federal Building - Click to Enlarge 6 S. El Dorado, San Joaquin 1st Federal Building - Click to Enlarge 6 S. El Dorado, San Joaquin 1st Federal Building - Click to Enlarge

6 S. El Dorado St - Former San Joaquin First Federal Building,, acquired by Great American Bank,  and ceased operation in 1994 / It became Pacific State Bank but was was closed by the California Department of Financial Institutions, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) was named Receiver in 2010 / The building is now owned by El Dorado Street Partners, LLC. In Shape Club now has their logo on the building.

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 9 S. El  Dorado - Former Farmers Service Center / Former location of Nine Eleven Club, 11 1/2 South El Dorado - St James Hotel
25 South El Dorado - Hotel McKinley,
33 South El Dorado - Stockton Ice & Fuel,
41 South El Dorado - Hotel Mitchell

17 S. El Dorado - Stockton Theatre - Click to Enlarge 17 S. El Dorado - Stockton Theatre - Click to Enlarge 17 S. El Dorado - Stockton Theatre - Southeast corner of Main. Built in 1853. The 500 seat theatre burned to the ground on July 4, 1890. There were no less than eight theatres with the name "Stockton" in them. It all began in 1850 when the assembly room of the pioneer Stockton House at El Dorado and Channel was converted into a makeshift theatre for the entertainment of pioneer merchants and miners. The Stockton House Theatre lasted only three month, however the Historic Stockton Theatre was erected at Main and El Dorado three years later. Although frequently in disrepair, the Stockton played the best in theatre - Laura Keane, Modjeska, Lotta Crabtree, George Marion and James O'Neil. However the once most handsomely decorated hall of amusement in California" was damaged beyond repair by a mysterious fire on Fourth of July eve, 1890

19 S. Eldorado St - Imperial Theatre - Click to Enlarge 19 S. Eldorado St - Imperial Theatre - The Imperial Theatre was operating prior to 1941. It was screening Spanish language films from 1943, and continued until at least 1952.- Demolished

28 S. El Dorado - The Lincoln Theatre was listed as an African-American theatre in the period 1930-1932. It was still open in 1952.- Demolished - Photo courtesy of Kevin Shawvner

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 30 S. El Dorado St.. Tropicana Nightclub / Former Brick House / Former Sam's Hof Brau - corner of Market

34 S. El Dorado  - Former Massei Brothers Soft Drinks

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 35 S. El Dorado - Union Bank - 35 S. El Dorado - Union Bank 28 S. El Dorado -

South El Dorado -  Market St. Intersects

See Market Street

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge S. El Dorado and 104 E. Market - 1965 - Left photo - El Dorado & Market Today - Kings Chinese Restaurant. Right photo, Leonard Covello, 1965

101 S. Eldorado - The Hub, Men's Clothing
105 S. Eldorado - Lincoln Inn Tavern

 - Click to Enlarge 102 S. Eldorado St. Tabuchi's, 108 Roma Lunch, 110 Hollywood Bath House, 112 El Dorado Lodgings, 116 Lincoln Pharmacy and 120 Hotel Collins-Lincoln

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge

111 S. El Dorado St - Golden Gate Department Store
115 S. Eldorado - Golden Gate Club
117 S. Eldorado - Golden Gate Inn Tavern
119 S. Eldorado - Golden Gate Grill
Hotel San Miguel in the left background - Center photo - 1960 Fire
Right photo (same view) El Dorado and Market Street today

 - Click to Enlarge
 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge
118-120 S. El Dorado - Lincoln Hotel - Built in 1919 by the Wong brothers on South El Dorado Street, was considered one of Stocktonís finest hotels of the time. It was located in what later became "skid row", the hotel eventually became a rooming house for gamblers and prostitutes. During it's last years it operated as a working mans hotel. it was demolished in 1963 - right photo Courtesy of Ron Chapman

 - Click to Enlarge
100 Block of S. El Dorado St
124 S. Roma Inn, Tony's Photos,
142 S. El Dorado Drugs

124 S. El Dorado - Spanos Brothers Restaurant / Roma Lunch (1931)
129 S. El Dorado - Homel Kan Rooms
130 S. El Dorado - El Dorado Restaurant / former Golden Palace Restaurant
136 S. El Dorado - Alta Rooms
137 S. El Dorado - Tai Buck Low Restaurant
139 S. El Dorado - Former Mariarni - Furnishings

 - Click to Enlarge 142 S. El Dorado - Roberto's Liquor

 - Click to Enlarge 144 Mun Kwok Lane.  - Franco Center - Formerly Lee Center

South El Dorado - Washington Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge 215 S. El Dorado - Former Gan Chy Restaurant. Photo by SPD Archives

224 S. El Dorado - Former Yoshimoto Restaurant

 - Click to Enlarge 228 S. El Dorado - Former Hotel Fukoa / Quezon Hotel / Western Hotel

231 S. El Dorado - Former Nakashima Hotel

 - Click to Enlarge 238 S. El Dorado - Former Hotel American

 - Click to Enlarge S. El Dorado Street looking north from Lafayette in the 50s - This area was referred to as "Skid Row" - The Stag Inn was at 301 S. El Dorado, Jerry's Garage at 302 S. El Dorado, Nakashima Hotel at 231 South El Dorado

South El Dorado - Lafayette Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 305 S. El Dorado - Satsuma Hotel / Fox Hotel - Left Photo - courtesy of Ron Chapman - Right Photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 308 S. El Dorado St. - Den's Auto Repair - Former Ah Ty Brothers - Gas and Garage - left Photo courtesy of Ron Chapman

 - Click to Enlarge 315 S. El Dorado - Star Hotel

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge Star Fish Market - 320 S. El Dorado
318 S. El Dorado - El Dorado Cafe - 1925
320 S. El Dorado - Acambaro Meat Market / Star Fish Market (1976) / Former Kiwajara Rooms - Left photo Courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. Center photos Courtsey of Ron Chapman

 - Click to Enlarge 325 S. El Dorado - Lincoln Garage - 1920s - The banner across El Dorado is announcing the new Westcott 6 -  The Westcott was an automobile produced in Richmond, Indiana and Springfield, Ohio between 1912 and 1925. The car company was named for its founder, Burton J. Westcott. The Westcott was advertised as "The Car with the Longer Life". The Westcott was powered by a Continental Engine, and rode on at least two different wheel bases - At 315 South El Dorado was the Star Hotel and 305 South El Dorado, The Fox Hotel

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge
345 S. El Dorado St - Mariani's Clothing

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge
348 S. El Dorado & Sonora - Liberty Hotel / Sanchez Mira Hotel / Nichi Bell Hotel - Left photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr. Right photo courtesy of Ron Chapman - Demolished 10/2001

 - Click to Enlarge A portion of the nine block west end redevelopment in 1966 - It has almost become a city trademark

 - Click to Enlarge
Washington Park - Located between Lafayette and Market, San Joaquin and Hunter - it was the location of the San Joaquin Agricultural Society Pavilion in 1987 which was destroyed by fire in 1902

South El Dorado - Sonora Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge 400 Block S. El Dorado - Lafayette to Sonora Street Courtesy of Ron Chapman

 - Click to Enlarge
402 S. El Dorado - Quon & Ah Ty Service Station - Courtesy of Denny Ah Ty

412 S. El Dorado - El Dorado Garage
447 S. El Dorado - Knowles Gas
448 S. El Dorado St. - Ah Ty Brothers - Gas and Garage

South El Dorado - Hazelton Intersects

632 S. El Dorado - Stockton Plating
820 S. El Dorado - Lafayette Park
925 S. El Dorado - Hewitt Alignment Service

 - Click to Enlarge 1121-1135 S. Eldorado - Smitty's Used Cars

 - Click to Enlarge 1147 S. El Dorado - Loza's Hair Studio / Former Dick's Handy Spot Tavern / KE Gorley Restaurant (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1200 Block of S. El Dorado, bounded by Clay, El Dorado, Jackson and Center Streets - Former Stockton Lumber Co at 1201 S. El Dorado in the 1950s

1200 S. Eldorado - Gomez Gas Station
1207 S. El Dorado - Have
1230 S. Eldorado Nakamera Dentist

 - Click to Enlarge
 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1240 S. El Dorado St. El Dorado Market / Former Homestead Station Post Office

1244 S. El Dorado St.- Vacant Lot / Former Allied Printing
1305 S. El Dorado St.- Vacant Lot / Former GV Harris Liquors

 - Click to Enlarge 1322 S. El Dorado St - Angels Mufflers / Former Lou's Super Service / Davis Auto Repair (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1325 S. El Dorado St - Capitol Furniture Building / Newstadt Furniture Store (1931-1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1330 S. El Dorado St

 - Click to Enlarge
1347 S. El Dorado St - El Grullense Restaurant / Former Ben's Chevron Station

Charter Way Intersects

See Charter Way

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1401 S. El Dorado St - El Camino Tires / Former Pop Shoppe Former Cox's Shell / Daugherty Gas - (Typical Shell Photo)- Also a 48 E. Charter Way Address

 - Click to Enlarge 1402 S. El Dorado St - Flying A (Representative Photo)

1406 S. El Dorado St - Service Station

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1419 S. El Dorado St - Eddie's Coffee Shop / Eddie Risk Restaurant (1950) / Today Eddie's Pizza

 - Click to Enlarge 1424 1/2 S. El Dorado St - Kristy's Beauty Salon / Rose Samborn Beauty Shop

 - Click to Enlarge 1428 S. El Dorado - Kenneth Fuji Dentist

 - Click to Enlarge 1436 S. El Dorado - Tohler Brothers Auto Repair / Today a Mexican Garage

1st Street Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1501-1505 S. El Dorado Budget Motel /
Ly-In Motel / Glass Auto Court / GE Pipes Gas Station (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge
1512 S. El Dorado - El Dorado Dental Center

 - Click to Enlarge 1518 S. El Dorado - Acurries Motorcycle Restoration / Former A1 Refrigeration / Valley Floor Covering (1950)

1545 S. Eldorado - Moto Rest Motel (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1546 S. El Dorado St - El Molcajete Restaurant / Former Quality Glass Service Butane

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1558 S. El Dorado - Paradise Motel / Former Rice Motel

1560 S. Eldorado Nidiffer Used Furniture

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge

1562 S. El Dorado - Former Foster's Freeze / R.J. Murphy Restaurant in(1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1565 S. El Dorado - Alhambra Motel / Former Moto-Rest Motel Service Station

 - Click to Enlarge 1575 S. El Dorado St - Mobile Service (Representative Photo)

2nd Street Intersects

1603 S. Eldorado - Floyd Bowerman Fruits

 - Click to Enlarge 1605 S. El Dorado - Valero / Former Regal Stations

 - Click to Enlarge 1610 S. El Dorado - U.S. Post Office

1613 S. Eldorado - LF Johnson Used Cars

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1650 S. El Dorado St - Acapulco Gardens Restaurant / Former Pennant Cleaners (1931)

3rd Street Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge
 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge

1700 S. El Dorado - Former El Dorado Motel. A complete rehabilitation of this historic motel and was converted into a 39 unit apartment house for low income seniors. Construction completed in 1992. Received Stockton City Planning Commission Award of Excellence in May 11, 1993.

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1705 S. El Dorado St - Former Richfield (Representative Photo) / ATA Tire Service (1950) / El Dorado Service Station (1931)

 - Click to Enlarge 1725 S. El Dorado - Glass Shop / Former Standard Station

 - Click to Enlarge 1750 S. El Dorado St - Former El Dorado Club Tavern & Liquors

1760 S. El Dorado St (McKinley Avenue)- Richfield (1931)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge
1775 S. El Dorado St - former Henry's Pharmacy - Cut & Curl Beauty Shop

In 1959 McKinley began at the 1800 block south

4th Street Intersects

1801 S. Eldorado - Leona's Antique Shop / Gertrude Klang Groceries (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1802 S. El Dorado St. - T.P. Food Emporium / Phillipine Trans Pacific Grocery (1950) / Piggly Wiggly Store #500 / Safeway (1937)

1812 S. El Dorado St - Former Harriet's Beauty Salon

 - Click to Enlarge 1814 S. El Dorado St

 - Click to Enlarge 1820 S. El Dorado St - Morning Star Missionary Baptist Church / Former Colony furniture & Restaurant Supply(1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1825 S. El Dorado - Former Fairway Grocery / GS Chan Meats (1925)

 - Click to Enlarge 1827 S. El Dorado St - Former Geisert Animal Hospital - McKinley Laundromat / Half Hour Laundromat (1950) / See photo above

 - Click to Enlarge 1827 S. El Dorado - Geisert Animal Hospital - The new location

 - Click to Enlarge 1839 S. El Dorado St - Fifth Street Medical Center / former Fifth Street Pharmacy

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1850 S. El Dorado St - Valley Lumber / Former Sky Corporation / Nehi Bottling

5th Street Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge
1900 S. El Dorado St - Aretaga's Food Center / Former El Mercado / Ernie's Super Market / S&G Market / 88 Market - Left photo courtesy of Floyd Perry Jr.

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1901 S. El Dorado St. - Former Quick N Save Gas / Former Hudson Gas Station

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 1945 S. El Dorado - Manny's / Former Sno White - right photo using camera lens against the glass - Top left photos courtesy of SPD Archives

 - Click to Enlarge 1951 S. El Dorado - Former Poulsen's Garage

 - Click to Enlarge 1964 S. El Dorado St - Flor De Gala / former McKinley Drug

1965 S. Eldorado - Cottage Beauty & Cottage Barber Shop

6th Street Intersects - Becomes McKinley

2002 S. El Dorado St - Tate Tires & Gas / Mar Yeet Shell / Pitkin Gas (1937)

 - Click to Enlarge
2007 S. El Dorado - Gray's Liquors / Former Eddies Liquor Store / Cooper Sporting Goods (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge 2000 Blk S. El Dorado St - Parrot Cafe

 - Click to Enlarge 2011 S. El Dorado St - Vacant - Former Three Sister's Restaurant / Russell's Drive In Liquors / Rudolf Gesswein Restaurant (1937)

2016 S. El Dorado St - Kramer's Auto Repairs

 - Click to Enlarge Crab Pot Card  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2030 S. El Dorado St - Fiesta Mexicana / former Crab Pot / Ducky's Inn (1950)/ Heinzeman & Madden Restaurant

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2031 S. El Dorado St - Canelo's Market / Former Ninety Nine Market / Lee Hon Grocer (1950)/ WB Lee Grocery (1940)

 - Click to Enlarge 2057 S. El Dorado - Quick N Stop

2060 S. El Dorado - Former MConnell Gas (1950) / Main HO Gas (1940)
2062 S. Eldorado - McKillops Auto Repair (1950)
2068 S. Eldorado - Farmer Jones TV

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2070 S. El Dorado - El Dorado Tires / Former OK Rubber Welders

 - Click to Enlarge
El Dorado just North of Eighth St (East side of street
2088 S. El Dorado St - Former Ray's Cafe
2092 S. El Dorado St - Waco Scaffolding Co.
2124 S. El Dorado St - Waco Tool Rental
2154 S. El Dorado St - Gray's Wilshire

2088 S. El Dorado St - Ray's Cafe / AR Roy Restaurant (1950)
2092 S. El Dorado St - Waco Scaffolding Co.

7th Street Intersects

2121 S. El Dorado St - Red D Gas Station / Harrison & Munz Gas
2124 S. El Dorado St- Waco Tool Rental / Bobson Cleaners (1950)
2154 S. El Dorado St - Gray's Wilshire /  Knowles Gas Station (1950)

8th Street Intersects

2207 S. El Dorado St - Shimmins Variety Store
2211 S. Eldorado - Inland Builders Builders Supply Hardware

 - Click to Enlarge

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2215 S. El Dorado St - Golden Star Cafe / Former Frank Wong Restaurant (1950)

2217 S. Eldorado - US Stockton Auto Court (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge 2233 S. El Dorado St - Coffee Cup Restaurant / Ruth Hill Restaurant (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2243 S. El Dorado St. - Smoke Shop / Former Red Carpet Tavern (1976)/ Mexico Cafe (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge 2253 S. El Dorado St

 - Click to Enlarge 2263 S. El Dorado St - Former McKinley Cash Grocery Store

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge Left photo - 2305 S. El Dorado St - Travo-Tel Motel / Former Whitehouse Motel - Back Side on Commerce St 2331 S. El Dorado St. - Former Greer's Liquors

2339 S. Eldorado - Culligan Soft Water
2357 S. El Dorado St - Great Western Furniture - Demolished / Eccles Refrigeration (1950) 2363 S. El Dorado St - McKinley Market - Demolished

9th Street Intersects
 - Click to Enlarge 2411 S. El Dorado & Ninth Street (former S. McKinley) - McKinley School -  Built in 1922 - Old building Demolished in 1974

 - Click to Enlarge 2420 S. El Dorado St - Standard Station - Demolished (Representative Typical Standard Station)

2503 S. El Dorado St - OK Club Tavern / Torch Tavern Workman Gas Station (1950)- Demolished to expand school 2509 - Associated Farm Supply - Demolished to Expand School

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2525 S. El Dorado - McKinley Trailer Village

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2546 S. El Dorado St - Former restaurant in front of the former Mac Disco 2542 S. El Dorado St - Flea Market /  Built as Villa Faire, it was acquired by Mac-Disco and renamed Disco-Wonderworld during the late 1960's. It has been a flea market since 1971

 - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge  - Click to Enlarge 2571 S. El Dorado St - Former Save Mor Market

 - Click to Enlarge 2617 S. El Dorado St - Wilson & Coffey

 - Click to Enlarge 2619 S. El Dorado - Birrierra Jalasco Mexican Restaurant / former Micki's Drive Inn

California Street Intersects

See California Street
2700 S. Eldorado - Rivara Gravel Co. (1950)
2703 S. El Dorado St - Sail Fish Inn
2841 S. El Dorado St - El Patio Cafe (1950)

 - Click to Enlarge 2907 S. El Dorado St - Cal's Market / Hon's Market / today Morris Market

3023 S. Eldorado - RV Barcus Pottery (1950)
3030 S. Eldorado - Laurel Pottery
3061 S. Eldorado - Olive Brennan Grocery
3105 S. Eldorado - California Tank Lines
3147 S. El Dorado St - Beacon Gas / Ros Harrison Gas (1950)

3200 S. El Dorado St - California Clay Products / Stockton Brick & Tile (1950)3339 S. El Dorado St - Stockton Salvage In 1921 the Stockton Brick and TiIe Company on. South McKinley Avenue (later renamed S. El Dorado) was founded by a group of Stockton business men headed by Ralph WiIcox and Paul Weston. The name was changed in 1956 to California Clay Products and became the only brick manufacturing company In San Joaquin County. The clay was obtained from a pit near the factory and from nine acres a mile west of the plant. They obtained higher grade clay from near lone in Amador County. Machinery for brick making was run by electricity and the fuel was gas. They produced buiIding brick, fire brick, roof tile, drain tiIe, mortar clay and roofing granules. John C. Boggs was president and J. A. Simpson was general manager. The last address was 3200 S. El Dorado St and became - California Clay Products / They were Stockton Brick & Tile (until 1950)

Clayton Intersects

 - Click to Enlarge S. El Dorado & Clayton St Former Motor Movies Box Office

Suggested Books Related to Stockton

We are looking for more old photos of El Dorado Street - Please post them on our Memories of Stockton Facebook Group

Share