Horseshoe crabs can be seen up and down in large numbers in May in Delaware
New Sweden was founded in 1638 as a colony and is the first permanent colony on Delaware.
Winterthur Museum, Garden and Library, six miles northwest of Wilmington has one of the most beautiful natural gardens in the world.
Hagley Museum was originally the Du Pont Black Powder Manufacture, estate and gardens.
The state's "Coastal Heritage Greenway" consists of an open space corridor that runs along a 90-mile stretch of coastline spanning the area between Fox Point State Park and the state border on Fenwick Island.
Thousand Acre Marsh is the largest freshwater tidal wetland in northern Delaware. The Chesapeake and Delaware Canals border the swamp.
In 1812, Port Penn was considered the best port in Delaware.
Augustine Beach was named after Augustine Hermann. He was a Bohemian adventurer who mapped the Delmarva Peninsula and surrounding areas in the mid-17th century.
Odessa owns one of the best collections of late 18th and early 19th century architecture in the mid-Atlantic. The center of the city is on the National Register of Historic Places and the entire city has been called historic.
Barratt's Chapel is known as the cradle of Methodism. It was built in 1780 and is the oldest preserved church built by and for Methodists in the United States.
The 80-food Great Dune is the highest in the state. It is located at Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes.
The border of Maryland / Delaware and the Mason Dixon Line divide Delmar. A double crownstone was built in 1768 as the southern end of the only north-south part of the Mason-Dixon line.
Horseshoe crabs can be seen up and down in large numbers in May in Delaware. The crabs endure extremes of temperature and salinity. You can also go for a year without food and have remained basically the same since the days of the dinosaur.
The Du Pont Laboratories initially produced nylon at their Seaford plant. This earned the city the distinction of being the nylon capital of the world.
Recognizing all the recreational and economic benefits of recreational fishing for the state of Delaware and the specific values of the weak-finned species (Cynoscion genus) as game and food fish, in 1981 the state took over the weaklings as Delaware fish. This fish is also known as sea trout, gray trout, yellow mouth, yellow trout, squeaker, and tiderunner.
Colonial Blue and Buff are Delaware's official state colors.
Delaware was named after Lord de la Warr. He was the first governor of Virginia.
The sheaf of wheat, ear of corn and the ox on the state seal symbolize the agricultural activities of the early Delaware.
The Delaware Indians were one of the most advanced tribes of the eastern United States.
New Castle County covers the largest population and smallest area of Delaware's three counties.
America's newest tall ship is ten stories high and 139 meters long. The rest is the squid Nyckel, who landed in 1638 on the Christina River.
The quaker dealer Thomas Garret is in the novel "Uncle Tom's hut" as a model for a Quaker builder. Garret and the famous abolitionist Harriet Tubman worked closely with Delaware's anti-slavery forces.
The frying pan, built in 1950 for use at the Delmarva Chicken Festival, is 10 feet in diameter and holds 180 gallons of oil and 100% chicken quarters.
Delaware Breakwater at Cape Henlopen State Park was the first structure of its kind in the Western Hemisphere.
The city of Milton was named in 1807 after the English poet John Milton.
Delaware was the first state to ratify the United States Constitution. It happened on December 7, 1787.
Delaware shares a semicircular border with Pennsylvania. The border was drawn at the time of the original land grants to William Penn by King Charles II and the Duke of York.
The nation's first scheduled steam train began in New Castle in 1831.
The United States battleship Delaware was put into service in 1910.
Delaware is the only state without national park systems such as national parks, coasts, historic sites, battlefields, memorials and monuments.
Delmar is known as the small city that is too big for a state. The community has the difference of being located partly in Delaware and partly in Maryland.
The most historic site in Frederica is the Barratt's Chapel east of the city. In the chapel was founded in 1784 the Methodist Church of America.
Today, about 500 descendants of the original Nanticoke Indians live in Delaware. They celebrate their heritage each September with the Nanticoke Indian Pow Wow.
The log cabin is originally from Finland. Finnish settlers arrived in Delaware in the mid-17th century and made plans for the log cabin, one of the lasting symbols of the American pioneer. One of the cabins has been preserved and can be seen at the Delaware Agricultural Museum in Dover.
John Dickinson was referred to as Penman of the Revolution because of his writings on independence. His home in Dover has been preserved.
Tradition is the first time that Betsy Ross' famous flag was flown at the Battle of Cooch Bridge. This historic site is located on Route 4 in Newark.
The Blue Hen Chicken is the official state bird. The chickens were known for their fighting power. Delaware is sometimes referred to as the Blue Hen State.
The Lady Bug is Delaware's official status bug.
Eleven years after the landing of the English pilgrims, the first white settlement on Delaware ground was made.
In 1785, Oliver Evans of Newport invented the automatic flour milling machine that revolutionized the industry.
In the total, Delaware ranks 49th in the nation. It contains 1,982 square miles. It is 96 miles long and varies from 9 to 35 miles in width.
Ebright Road at New Castle County is the highest elevation at 442 feet above sea level. The lowest elevation is along the coast at sea level.
Thomas Garret lost all his fortune in the fight against slavery. He was sued by a slaveholder from Maryland and fined for helping a black family in flight. Throughout his life, Garrett has allegedly helped more than 2,000 runaway slaves move through Delaware, an important stop on the Underground Railroad.
Rehoboth Beach is the state's largest coastal town. Methodists who bought the land for a summer camp and meeting place originally constructed it.