Stafford Mills is an historic textile mill complex located on County Street in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA. Founded in 1872, it is a well-preserved late-19th century textile complex
Connecticut's most important crops are dairy, poultry, forest and nurseries, tobacco, vegetables and fruits.
Connecticut's motto is Qui Transtulit Sustinet - "The one who transplanted is preserved".
In the colonial New Haven cut pumpkins were used as guidelines for haircuts to ensure a round uniform style. Because of this fashion, these new Englishmen were called pumpkin heads.
The name Middlebury derives from its central location, which occupies the town hall, six miles from the three older neighbors, Waterbury, Southbury and Woodbury.
The first human inhabitants of present-day Burlington were members of the Tunxis tribe, which belonged to a confederation of Algonquian Indians. Legend has it that they used the area as a hunting ground.
The first English settlers of Connecticut arrived in 1636 and settled the plantations of Windsor, Hartford and Wethersfield.
The seal of the city of Monroe takes the form of a circle labeled "City of Monroe Connecticut" on the outer edge of the seal. In this outer circle is the profile of a bust of James Monroe, who was the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Originally Montville, along with Groton and Waterford, was part of New London. New London was founded in 1646 under the name Pequot, which was named after the
Pequot Indians and renamed New London in 1658.
B. F. Clyde's Cider Mill is the only steam powered Cider Mill in the US and is located in Mystic.
7-year-old James Thorsell designed the New Hartford "Town Bicentennial Emblem".
New Milford's worst catastrophe struck in 1902 when its main business, which focused on Bank Street, was almost completely offset by the Big Fire.
Named in 1724 for the stony nature of the hilly landscape, North Stonington was incorporated in 1807.
To register in Connecticut, you must:
Be US citizens;
Be a resident of a Connecticut Town;
Be at least 18 years old at or before the next election
never convicted for a crime
The first safety device was built in Simsbury in 1836.
In 1728, the first steel mill in America was commissioned in Simsbury.
Wallingford has acquired a worldwide reputation for silverware manufacturing.
The first expert in the treatment of Asian cholera was Dr. med. Henry Bronson in 1832. He was a professor at Yale Medical School.
The first women's golf tournament in Connecticut took place on June 12, 1917 in Waterbury.
West Hartford is the birthplace of Noah Webster, author of the first dictionary published in 1807.
Although West Haven is the youngest city in Connecticut and was founded in 1972, it is a community that is over 360 years old, making it one of the oldest settlements in the country.
Thomas Sanford made in 1834 the first friction games in Beacon Falls.
Some of the world's most famous fabrics are woven in the textile factories of Stafford.
The city of Washington was founded in 1779 and named in honor of General George Washington.
Hartford has been the capital of Connecticut since 1875
The first ever phone book contained only fifty names. The New Haven District Telephone Company published it in February 1878 in New Haven.
The USS Nautilus - the world's first nuclear submarine was built in 1954 in Groton.
Connecticut and Rhode Island never ratified the 18th Amendment (Prohibition).
In 1705, copper was discovered in Simsbury. Later, the copper mine became the infamous New Gate prison of the Revolutionary War. Doctor Samuel Higley of Simsbury began in 1737 with the first copper coin in America.
The Scoville Memorial Library is the oldest public library in the United States. The Library's collection began in 1771, when Richard Smith, the owner of a local blast furnace, bought 200 community books in London. On the third Monday of every third month, visitors can borrow books and return them. Fees have been collected for damages, most commonly the "smearing" of wax dripping from the candles that customers read.
On April 9, 1810, a meeting in Salisbury, authorizing "selectors who charge the treasurer of the city for the sum of one hundred dollars," decided to purchase more books for the Scoville Memorial Library and the library to the first publicly-sponsored city library make in the United States.
Mary Kies from South Killingly was the first woman to receive a US patent. On 15 May 1809 for a method of weaving straw with silk.
On January 28, 1878, 21 daring citizens of New Haven became the world's first subscribers to the switchboard.
America's first trade association was founded in the Naugatuck Valley.
Cattle branding in the United States began in Connecticut when farmers were required by law to mark all their pigs.
In Hartford, under no circumstances should you cross the road that runs in your hands!