Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.
Stockton San Joaquin Street Amtrak Station, CA (SKN)
735 S. San Joaquin Street Stockton, CA 95203
The San Joaquin Street Depot was constructed in Mission Revival style in1900 which cost $24,470.to build for the San Francisco and San
Joaquin Valley Railway (SF&SJV) The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (ATSF) Railway took over the station in 1899 when it obtained the SF&SJV. The
ATSF was subsequently acquired by the BNSF, who now owns the depot. The ATSF was the third station to follow the heels of the Southern Pacific
along with the Western Pacific depots in Stockton, and located east from the port on the Mormon Slough. The three depots are still standing
today, however the Western Pacific depot now has no tracks tracks or passengers as it is not served by trains.
Containing 16 rooms on two floors, the building featured living quarters on the upper floor for the station agent along with his family.
The depot additionally boasted a square clock tower with 2 1/2 stories along with an open-air waiting area. Although the tower is still
standing, the clock is long gone; while the northern waiting room was portioned in 1961 to provide railroad offices.
The southern portion now contains Amtrak offices. The station featured a red tile hipped roof which contrasted with the building's white
stucco walls. The overhangs are more narrow than many railway stations of the era. Shelter from the hot Valley sun was accomplished with a one
story colonnade beneath a shed-type roof situated on the rail side, fenced off using iron wickets which remain open throughout station hours.
There colonnade has projecting corners which are adorned with sizeable square pilasters featuring their own small red-tiled hipped caps.
The rear colonnade central arch is balanced with the building's front entry porch, featuring a decorative pierced curvilinear gable sandwiched between a pair of capped square pillars, over a large circular archway. There are large semicircular windows at the front, echoing the colonnade’s repetitive arches, and also guarded with iron wickets. The clock tower, features multi-paned decorative windows, in two styles round and rectangular, standing above the porch that provides shelter to passengers coming and going through the double wooden-glass and panel front doors.
The bottom six photos are from the
Harvey House, Fred Harvey Company. There was once a lunch counter and new stand in
the Stockton's Santa Fe Station. The Harvey News Stand was in the East end of
the station which was once open on the east end, It was later enclosed for office space around 1961. These
photos show the building in the original configuration.
The San Joaquin Street station was rebuilt in 2005: the station has been repainted, inside and out; ticket counters and glass enclosures, break rooms, agent’s office, restrooms and Amtrak Police offices have been renovated; a security camera system added; bus canopies and signage upgraded; roll-up baggage doors added for security; parking lot and platforms upgraded; and new fencing and signage along the tracks added. Improvements were funded through the state of California Division of Rail.
As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009, the San Joaquin Street station is slated to receive a new signage kiosk, funded at $11,000. As part of the ARRA Mobility First initiative, the station will also receive a new wheelchair lift and enclosure as well as improvements to the walkway to the center platform, funded at $44,571.
Rail likewise impacted trade at Stockton, having connections to the wharves and then the port. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (ATSF) entered southern California in the 1880s and presented itself as Southern Pacific (SP) Railroad’s main rival. In the 1890s, the SF&SJV began working a route up through the San Joaquin Valley in competition to SP’s monopoly there—much unloved by Valley farmers—and came through Stockton in 1898. Acquired by ATSF in 1899, the SF&SJV at last provided ATSF a route from San Francisco through to Los Angeles, the states two major population centers. Today, the Stockton Terminal & Eastern Railroad provides rail freight service in the greater Stockton area, and makes freight connections with BNSF Railroad, Union Pacific Railroad, and the Central California Traction Company.
The San Joaquin of today operates over rail lines that once hosted several competing trains each day. The two primary trains originating in the Central Valley were the Golden Gate, originally operated by ATSF, and the San Joaquin Daylight operated by Southern Pacific Railroad (succeeded by Union Pacific). The ATSF passenger service ceased operations in 1968, and the SP operations in 1971, when Amtrak took over passenger rail service in the U.S.
The staffed Stockton station is served by eight daily full-service trains and four that stop only for discharge passengers only. The San Joaquin is primarily financed through funds made available by the California Department of Transportation.
• Stockton in Vintage Post Cards
- Stockton is a contemporary California city, where almost 300,000 people call home. However few people recollect the elements of its bawdy bygone days. impact by it's strategic waterways and productive soil, Stockton was an attraction to a succession of farmers,, miners, industrial entrepreneurs, shipbuilders and gold miners. Over the decades Stockton has developed from it's rough and ready ship harbor days to a transportation and agricultural, business center.
• Stockton, Heart of The Valley
- The southern region of the Great California Central Valley is termed the San Joaquin, and the northern region is called the Sacramento, both being named for their primary rivers. The entire California Great Valley is a desert prairie, geologically it's an ancient seabed situated in a trough enclosed between uplifted mountains to the East and West, about 450 miles in length and 90 miles wide in parts with the total area about the area of Egypt.
Apr 28, 2012