Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell, lease or manage Commercial Real Estate.
The Magnolia Historic District, located in
Midtown Stockton, encompasses the richest variety of architectural styles found in the City. Primarily composed of single and multifamily homes, most
of the neighborhood was designated, the Magnolia Historic District, by the State of California. The tree-lined streets display samples of virtually all
the architectural styles of California's most formative period, including Queen Anne, Eastlake, Craftsman, Modern, Spanish Revival, and Dutch Colonial.
Homes dating as early as 1860 still call this neighborhood home. The Midtown possesses many of the homes built in the City between 1860 and 1920 which
have been identified as historically and architecturally significant by the Stockton Cultural Heritage Board. In fact, over half of the district’s
structures were constructed before 1920 and reflect virtually every notable architectural style of California’s 19th and early 20th centuries.
The Magnolia District Boundaries are El Dorado St. on the West, Harding Way on the North, California St. on the East and Park St. on the South
Click any thumbnail and it becomes a slideshow where you can then scroll through the slides. Or
select Auto Play or use the mouse or keyboard arrow keys to scroll through all images
345 E. Acacia - Manson Apartments - built in 1936. This is an early example of Streamlined Moderne. A forerunner of its time with glass bricks and
built-in electric appliances. “The finest apartment building ever to be constructed in this area … “ (Stockton Record, 1936). Designed by Frank V. Mayo,
also known for the Medico-Dental Building (1927)
North Hunter Street from 700 Block
809 North Hunter St - Native Sons Building
- Demolished to expand the Unifirst parking lot
817-823 North Hunter Street - Clara Stoltz home, From The Library of Congress: 4-unit apartment house was a contributor to the 1985 Magnolia
Historic Preservation District. It is a typical craftsman design, but it was lacking in significant architectural character or an association with
famous people or events that would make it eligible to the National Register of Historic Places. - Demolished
Julie Umberger home, 833 N Hunter - Built in 1912, this 2-story house was a contributor to the 1985 Magnolia Historic Preservation District. It had elements of Colonial Revival design, but it is lacked significant architectural character or an association with famous people or events that would
had made it eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. It was also badly deteriorated.
940 North Hunter at Magnolia - Elizabeth Barnhart House - 1902
1000 North Hunter St - Philomathean Clubhouse - Six Stockton women met November 17, 1893 to begin a private club which they named Philomathean,
which means "Lover of Learning." In 1910, members began planning a meeting place to call their own. W.E. Wood a local architect donated the plans for
this rustic craftsman design featuring decorative stained glass. The building was completed in 1912.
1029 N. Hunter St. - Oakwood Apartments
1202 N. Hunter St.
1240 N. Hunter St - Venetian Court Apartments (21 Units)
1241 N. Hunter St. - McMurray Home - built in 1909. At one time occupied by Elihu B. Stowe, manager of Farmers Union and Milling Co., this Classic
Revival home embodies the attempt to return to classic forms in architecture. In particular the detailed capitals atop the columns.
1330 N. Hunter St. - Queen Anne House, built in 1899. This Queen Anne house is characterized by a turret topped with a witches cap peaked roof.
1335 N. Hunter St. - Dunne House - built in 1895 - Edward Dunne was a community pioneer and owner of a local shoe store. Eastlake, Stick, and Queen Anne
styles were combined in the design of this building. Notice the collection of original stained glass windows.
1421 N. Hunter St. - Former Green Brothers Pharmacy (1967)
Magnolia Street from 100 Block East
135 E. Magnolia St. - Bennett Apartments - built in 1919. Designed by pioneer architect, Ralph P. Morell in the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
This unique structure was home to many of Stockton’s well-respected citizens. It is designed so that no apartment directly faced another. There are 24
apartments. 18, 1bedrooms, and 6, studios - There was a complete rehabilitation into a 24 unit apartment houses for low income seniors completed in 1988.
Received Stockton City Planning Commission Award of Excellence in November 7, 1989.
205 E. Magnolia St. - Knox Baxter Sullivan mansion - built in 1910. Built by Lee A. Phillips, and designed by Edgar B. Brown, who is also known for
designing the Stockton Hotel (1910) and the Children’s Home of Stockton (1912). This Craftsman style, shingle bungalow has been home for many prominent
Stocktonians. Notice the old carriage house down the alley
329 E. Magnolia St.
Poplar Street from 100 Block East
144 E. Poplar Mary Pache home, 144 E Poplar
347 E. Poplar St. - Barnett House - built in 1869. A former residence of real estate agent H. Barnett, this Cottage style house is one of the oldest
buildings still standing in Stockton. At the turn of the century, Neoclassical alterations were added.
Rose Street from 100 Block East
119 E. Rose St. - Giles Nursing Home - built in 1908. Originally built for Luke Peart, the manager of Heald’s Business School, this Queen Anne is
composed of two houses. The back half was believed to have been moved from San Francisco to Stockton by way of the Delta.
San Joaquin Street from 700 Block North
1106 N. San Joaquin St. - Buck House - built in 1892. Built for Judge George Buck. A beauty in its day, this house displays many of the characteristics
of the Queen Anne style house.
1107 N. San Joaquin St. - Newell House - built in 1888. Built for Sidney Newell, and his wife Anna Elizabeth (Upslone). This is one of the finest
examples of Queen Anne architecture in the Northern San Joaquin Valley. Designed by Samuel & Joseph Newsom Architects. Newell was a prominent banker
of Stockton Savings Bank and a Steamboat Company Executive
1119 N. San Joaquin St. - Owen House - built in 1890. First owned by Charles Owen, a local music and jewelry store owner, this Queen Anne was sold in
1909 to William Brennan, the proprietor of a leading Livery Stable
1120 N. San Joaquin St. - Levy House - built in 1893. Built for Max Levy, a prominent merchant, this Queen Anne displays turned posts, spool and spindle
work, eyelid dormer and connected witches cap and finial
1130 N. San Joaquin St. - Catts House - built in 1897. This was the residence of George E. Catts, the owner of Lauxen and Catts Furniture Store and
the first president of the San Joaquin Pioneer and Historical Society which later founded the Haggin Museum in 1931. Original of this Queen Anne style
house was remodeled in 1918 to resemble a Craftsman Shingle style.
1143 N. San Joaquin St. - Ketcham House - built in 1890. This house was once the residence of General Thomas E. Ketcham, a Civil War veteran
1230 N. San Joaquin St. - George Fox Residence - 1915 - Designed in 1915 by architect Franklyn Werner, this house was built at 122 E. Poplar St. it was
moved on August 25, 2001 to 1230 N. San Joaquin St. Representative of the Craftsman bungalow style, the house was restored after the move and continues
to be a handsome contributor to the Magnolia Historic District. Donated by Stockton City Council 2003
1307 N. San Joaquin St.
1321 N. San Joaquin St.
1327 N. San Joaquin St.
1337 N. San Joaquin St.
Sutter Street from 700 Block North
938-934 N. Sutter St. - Gould & John's Tudor Flats. Built in 1924 in the Commercial Gothic Style. Designed by Allen and Young, local architects
who helped design the Stockton Civic Auditorium (1924), and are also known for; Henry Apts. (1913), First Church of Christ, Scientist Building (1928)
and the Jewish Community Center (1928). A Monograph Architecture of Glenn Allen & Chas. H. Young, Stockton, California
1045 N. Sutter St. - McGurk House - built in 1890. An outstanding example of Queen Anne Cottage style. Home of Dr. Raymond T. McGurk, who served on
the Stockton Police Force and was a pioneer in X-Ray technology. In 1912 the portico was restyled.