Cemeteries in San Joaquin County
Disclaimer! Informational page only, I do not sell or lease Commercial Real Estate.
Click a thumbnail for larger image After an image loads,
play or use arrow keys to scroll next and previous
John Brown Burial Site
Former Citizen's Cemetery, near 1100 E. Weber Street at N. Union Street. John Brown, was a Stockton resident from 1851
to 1859, is notable for his four-day ride from Los Angeles to San Francisco to warn Commodore Stockton of the attack on Los Angeles. As a result of his
actions, troops were sent to secure the city, and Brown - nicknamed Juan Flaco - became known as the 'Paul Revere of California.' He is buried in the
former Citizen's Cemetery near this site, which is #513 on the Office of Historic Preservation's California Historical Landmark list. In 1846, during
the American conquest of California, John Brown, nicknamed "Juan Flaco" or "the Paul Revere of California," rode from Los Angeles to San Francisco in
four days to warn Commodore Stockton of the siege of Los Angeles, and troops were sent to secure the city. He was buried in the former Citizen's Cemetery,
near 1100 E. Weber Street at N. Union Street. When the cemetery was decommissioned and the bodies were moved to Stockton Rural Cemetery, Brown's was one of
those left behind because his family did not have the money to pay for the move. He is most likely still buried under an auto lot on Pilgrim or Union Streets.
Manthey and Matthews Roads - Early in California history, Chinese immigrants were prohibited in many city cemeteries. Stockton was not one of those cities. The Chinese
residents of Stockton were allowed to use an isolated section away from the main part of the Stockton Rural Cemetery. Eventually many Stockton citizens became
increasingly upset regarding the Chinese section. Their displeasure stemmed from the common practice at the time of exhuming human remains to be sent back to China.
The Chinese leaders, sensing the tense atmosphere, raised funds and established their own cemetery in French Camp. The cemetery opened in 1927 and is currently supported
by the Chinese Benevolent Society and the Confucius Church. It consists of three sections-a paupers section for those of the community whom cannot afford a burial, plus
sections for older and modern graves.
South of Galt and east of Highway 99 lies the town of Liberty. Liberty, like many towns in the county, was an isolated farming community. The local
community founded a public cemetery in 1851 and named it Liberty Cemetery. Some have dubbed Liberty Cemetery "the cemetery of children." The nickname
stems from the high number of children buried at this location. At present, there are 425 recorded graves.
When construction on Highway 99 began, it quickly became apparent that the highway was to be built over a section of the cemetery. Nineteen unmarked
graves were removed and rebuilt. Of those nineteen, only three could be identified. Although some unmarked graves were able to be located, it is
believed there are many more waiting to be discovered. The cemetery is currently owned by the Galt Historical Society, which has been diligently
working to restore and renovate the historic rural cemetery
Live Oak Cemetery
Corner of Armstrong and Ham lane. Removed 1984 to Lodi Cemetery. Located at the junction of Ham Lane and Armstrong Road,( address 2281 E. Armstrong
Road) between Lodi and Stockton The cmetery was started about 1860, under the jurisdiction of the Methodist Church, and at one time there was a nice
little chapel there. It was used until around 1904-1905, after which many of the remains were moved to other cemeteries. Graves were removed in 1987,
cremated and buried in the Lodi Memorial Cemetery, Pine Street in Lodi, California. After the removal in 1987 a home was built at the location of the
old cemetery. Fires in the abandoned cemetery destroyed many of the wooden markers over the years
Park View Cemetery
3661 French Camp Road - Park View Cemetery
Park View Cemetery was the first to introduce a crematory and mausoleum to San Joaquin County in 1917 and today it has grown to include a variety of services for
families honoring a deceased loved one.
San Joaquin Catholic Cemetery
719 E. Harding Way. Established in 1879, San Joaquin Catholic Cemetery has been serving the needs of Catholic families for more than 100 years. Located in Stockton, the
peaceful grounds feature beautifully manicured fields and a domed mausoleum used for both funeral services and entombments.
Stockton Rural Cemetery
1861 to 1958. El Toyon Chapter Daughters of the
American Revolution marked this cemetery a historical spot of California in memory of pioneers and veterans. (At end of Cemetery Lane just inside
The Stockton Rural Cemetery was the main cemetery used by many of the earlier settlers and prominent Stockton citizens up until the modern period.
It was established in 1861 to replace the Citizen's Cemetery, which could not be expanded. The Rural Cemetery includes a military section which represents soldiers from all major American wars beginning with the Civil War.
In addition, the cemetery has a section dubbed "Millionaire Row" which represents the richest of Stockton's founding fathers. A section of this cemetery has also been used by the Stockton State Hospital when many burials were unearthed and relocated.
Rural Cemetery is one of the few privately owned cemeteries in the state operating under an 1859 State Act. Tours of the cemetery are conducted by the San Joaquin Genealogical Society and include the final resting place of many of Stockton's historic as well as more modern deceased residents.
Thomas Cunningham - A native of County Longford, Ireland, born August 17, 1838, and came to the United States when 10 years of age, locating at Brooklyn. There he served an apprenticeship at the harness-maker's trade with a brother-in-law. He worked there until 1855, when he
moved to California, via Panama. He arrived at San Francisco June 16, 1855. He came at once to Stockton.
In 1871 he was elected Sheriff of San Joaquin county, took the office in March 1872, and a year later closed out his harness business. He was married in
Stockton in 1861.
He died November 26, 1900. He left an estate valued at $50,000. Three married daughters, Mrs. Confer, Mrs. Boggs and Mrs. Higginbotham survive him.
George Spafford Evans - Civil War Union Brevet Brigadier General. A native of Michigan, Evans first entered military service during the Mexican War when he went to Texas to serve with the Texas Rangers. After the war, Evans moved to California to follow the Gold Rush. With the outbreak of the Civil War, he was commissioned back into military service as a Major assigned to the 2nd California Cavalry Regiment. He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel one month later. With the forced resignation of Col. Columbus Sims in February 1863, Evans was promoted to Colonel in command of the 2nd California Cavalry and would serve as such until his resignation in May 1863. For his services during the war, he was brevetted Brigadier General of Volunteers on March 13, 1865. After his military service, he entered into civilian politics and served a variety of posts including Adjutant General of California and for many years California State Senato
- He died September 11, 1993
Stockton State Hospital Cemetery
The Stockton State Hospital had three known cemeteries. The first location was on the hospital grounds behind the women's facility and used from 1854 until the new site
was purchased in 1875. Nothing remains of this old site, except for perhaps the forgotten graves of the patients.
The stories say that 1,619 of the recorded 4,467 burials made the move to the new grounds. The new site was located on 2800 N. California Street and was utilized from
the time of purchase until around 1918, when a crematory was built for the hospital use.
Many of the patients located in the secondary location shared the fate of those forgotten at the original cemetery. There is speculation that many of the burials were
moved; the lucky ones went to other cemeteries such as the Stockton Rural Cemetery and the others were cremated or put into mass graves, such as one unearthed in 2004 by
a construction crew.
The fate of many of the hospital's burials is unknown as the graves moved numerous times and the recordkeeping left much to be desired. Speculation leads many to believe
that modern buildings in Stockton have been built over those unfortunate men and women
Temple Israel Cemetery
1229 E. Poplar - The Temple Israel Cemetery is the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use not only in California, but also west of the Rocky Mountains. This
prestigious past led it to become a California Landmark. The cemetery came to be due to the high percentage of Jewish merchants and miners which came to the Central
Valley during the Gold Rush. The Jewish community came together and established a society called "Rhyim Ahoovim", which is Hebrew for "Brotherly Love."
The story goes that on October 4, 1851, Solomon Friedlander, a local man in the community, passed away. The society, realizing the sudden need for the sacred space, met
together and asked Captain Charles M. Weber for the necessary land. Weber agreed and donated the land to be used as a cemetery for the growing community. Although Weber
donated the land in 1851, it was not until 1854 that he deeded the land to the trustees of the society. Since that time the cemetery has grown and prospered as the final
resting place for many individuals in the Jewish community of Stockton. East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim and North Union street.
Inscription - This hallowed ground was donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the oldest
Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains. Erected 1961 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Temple
Israel and the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, December 10, 1961. Marker Number 765.
See Oldest Jewish Cemetery
From the main part of town drive south on Lower Sacramento Road, the cemetery will be on the left or east side of the road, just before the railroad tracks.
Woodbridge Cemetery is owned and maintained by the Woodbridge Masonic Lodge # 131. They can be reached at P.O. Box 453 Woodbridge, Calif. 95258.
Contact person: Aleck Dambacher, firstname.lastname@example.org
Earliest burial recorded is 1852, which is the same year that the town of Woodbridge was established. It is a well maintained cemetery, but closed to the public during
the week, due to vandalism.
Basically this cemetery is no longer active, because all lots are sold. There will only be future burials for those who have previously purchased lots. The cemetery is
only open on some week-ends hours and by appointment. Transcribed from the Sexton files, furnished Aleck Dambacher, which are complete up to June 10, 2004.
Suggested Books Related to Stockton